Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kung fu flicks...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i notice there aint any steven segal fans

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    jackie chan a ballerina?! he is like, the most ungraceful, clunky clown! he based a lot of his shtick on charlie chaplin movies etc. i'd say chan is an ok fighter but an excellent action choreographer & stuntman.

jet li is an excellent fighter, but look how florid his moves are in his more recent movies, there's so much spinning around and unnecessary movement, he does it to make a straightforward punchup look more interesting, that's what i meant by the ballerina thing. movies like "romero must die" and "the one" are so OTT.
    Jackie, Sammo & Yuen Biao all trained at the Chinese Opera Academy. It is a hybrid of Martial Arts, Tumbling, Dance and Acting.

The Jet Li films you are talking about are his USA films, which were mostly coordinated by Yuen Wo Ping, also trained in Chinese Opera w/ Jackie and Sammo. He also arranged the fights on the Matrix, and assloads of other films. Seriously Liam, check out Fist of Legend, please.

Also, I really enjoyed Fearless, a return to form for him. It suffered a little from Ronny Yu's direction (who I usually enjoy), but it featured much less wire-fu than usual.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Knut, you've seen em all? 20 + movies? Why sit through so much that you don't like?
    Cos I'm a glutton for punishment thats why.

And I like to view before I buy so that does involve wading through piles of crap films unfortunately.

I saw all of his early movies not the later ones because (let's be honest) he aint all that. Fist Of Legend was the last straw with me. Since then I learned to stick with the best and to me the VERY best is Bruce, Jaa, Hung and early Chan.
    Last edited by capncnut; 02-Feb-2007 at 06:34 PM.