• Escape from New York

24 88.89%
  • Escape from L.A.

3 11.11%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Escape from NY vs. Escape from LA

Super Moderator

UK
    NY has the kick ass Carpenter theme tune ... but LA has the kick ass "The One" song by White Zombie (or is it Rob Zombie?) ... ach, LA has some great bits and it does have Bruce Campbell ... and any Snake Plisken is good, but still, the original beats LA's ass with it's eye patch.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Haha, didn't know the outcome was so given first hand. Personally, I find LA to be pure class A entertaining super cheese. But definetly GOOD super cheese. I like LA because you get to see more of the future and it's politics, rather than just alot of slums.

Still undecided. NY is just so damn cool too. But cabbie was annoying.
    Cabbie was supposed to be annoying. with some characters its an accident but not Cabbie. You keep wanting him to die.

When I saw LA i kept thinking that it was a pale imitation. The Political thing was interesting but I didnt care what happened. I remember little of it and had to think hard to remember the ending.
    On the Other hand, EFNY I could probably recite almost the whole thing. It wasnt cheesy at all. It was werid and cool and smart. LA was kinda obvious.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Cabbie was supposed to be annoying. with some characters its an accident but not Cabbie. You keep wanting him to die.

You got a source for that? 'Cause of the papers and documentaries I've seen on the film (granted, probably not even half) the only thing they mentioned was that Cabbie was supposed to be the storyteller character. The guy that filled in the holes. That he did. I also didn't want him to die. I just thought he ruined his scenes with bad acting. (And yes, I know it's Ernest Borgnine and I know that he has been in some good roles. But damn, the guy has also made some bad roles)
    Last edited by EvilNed; 07-Mar-2007 at 08:57 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    New York all the way. LA seemed to be more of the least favorite child that didn't get treated properly. Kind of like Carpenter gave New York the attention and brains that it deserved and thought that LA would turn out the same way.

Not that LA is horrible. It's got some bad stuff going against it, but it wasn't absolutely awful. A quick entertainment fix.

United States

New York ... Rocked .

The use of the twin towers as a landing site was spooky ... The guy that delivers the presidents finger was really creepy ... It had a great ending ... The people that say to Snake : " Snake Pliskin? I heard you were dead ! " The surfing scene in Escape/L.A. was lousy .
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    You got a source for that? 'Cause of the papers and documentaries I've seen on the film (granted, probably not even half) the only thing they mentioned was that Cabbie was supposed to be the storyteller character. The guy that filled in the holes. That he did. I also didn't want him to die. I just thought he ruined his scenes with bad acting. (And yes, I know it's Ernest Borgnine and I know that he has been in some good roles. But damn, the guy has also made some bad roles)
    No source, just my impression. I dont like Bourganine much either, but I thought he was supposed to be irritating. I just liked the Schlocky nature of his character.
    So, turns out he's a sort of macGuffin who serves no purpose except to move the plot from one point to the next. Figures

Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    The use of the twin towers as a landing site was spooky ... The guy that delivers the presidents finger was really creepy ... It had a great ending ... The people that say to Snake : " Snake Pliskin? I heard you were dead ! " The surfing scene in Escape/L.A. was lousy .
    NYC used to be a sort of cross between the Warroirs, EFNY and Blade Runner beofre Disneyification. It was really wasy for me to get totally sucked into it as a reality. Manhattan being a small island that can be easily isolated helped. Manhattans not that big. You could probably walk the whole circumference in a day. LA is super huge. Walking all over stretched the imagination for me.

There were areas of Manhattan at the time that looked as bombed out as the movie. Alphabet City for example, right down to the burning cars. The city was so wall to wall violent, it would've been hard not to believe that was possible.

And that Wave CGI thing was so bad I couldnt believe Carpenter even used it.
    Last edited by coma; 07-Mar-2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    When Carpenter decided to develop Escape from LA he thought people would be unaware of a fairly obscure science fiction movie from the early 1980's. Thus the decision to remake the first film instead of making a valid sequel. From the fan reaction he underestimated the amount of fan interest in the S.D. Snake Plissken character.

Looking back on Escape from LA it's not a bad movie, it's just there are B Movie scenes in there that don't belong. The nuclear powered jet submarine, how everyone in the film lived on an island prison but was clean and wearing leather clothes, the surfing sequence, the death glider scene, and of course the ending.

Snake might be an anti-hero, but would he really be willing to be directly responsible for the largest loss of human life in centuries? Think Carpenter got so wrapped up in trying to portray the religious right in the US as evil that he lost the essence of the character.
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 07-Mar-2007 at 11:23 PM.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

capncnut
    Still undecided. NY is just so damn cool too. But cabbie was annoying.
    Aw man, I thought Borgnine was awesome in EFNY.

Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    The guy that delivers the presidents finger was really creepy...
    As was Frank Doubleday. He was cool as f**k in Assault on Precinct 13 too.

Super Moderator

UK
    yeah and Adrienne Barbeau's boobs. Yum
    I was flat out about to say the same thing just now.

Administrator

England
    OK! Who's the numpty who voted LA?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Yeah c'mon, own up you loser.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I haven't voted on anything yet, but I'm ready to give LA some love.

Cabbie was probably going to be acted as irritating yes, considering it's... Ernest Borgnine. But I still just thought he ruined the scenes he was in. You can be annoying and still play a rather good role, and then you can just be flat out annoying. Like Ernest.

And YES, Snake was really ready to kill thousands of innocents. I think the presidents actions in itself just shows how ****ty the world has become. Snake has always been the archtypical hero who stands for American morals, right? The states were corrupt both in NY and LA, but Snake was about individual freedom. When that freedom gets taken away in LA, I say it's totally in his character to blow the tyranny away, even if it means he has to break a few... million eggs.

capncnut
    Dont get me wrong, the ending to L.A. was way cool, but overall the film sucked big time.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It was a long time since I saw LA, but I remember thinking it was cool. I always thought the CGI was crappy, tho.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Eyebiter, why are you calling LA a remake? It's obviously not. If you watch it you can see how they mention the first one in it a bunch of times.

Perhaps I just misunderstood what you were trying to say.