Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: danny's 2 for a quid movie review

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    lol ... Americans having to wait for Hot Fuzz? Ooooooh ... sick burn.

How's it feel having the shoe on the other foot ... or something to that effect? Now you know how us Brits feel waiting for 99% of films, for instance, Land of the Dead - aside from the countries than banned the film, Britain was the LAST place on the freakin' planet to get it ... can you believe that shiite?

Still, it meant that 3 weeks after seeing it on opening night I had the DVD in my grubby mits.
    I can't help it that you guys are on the low end of the movie producing industry. How many flicks come out of Britain in a year? 2, maybe 3? ooooohhh.....sick burn.

I don't know why we're having to wait so long for "Fuzz". If i'm not mistaken, we got "Shaun" only about 2 weeks after of you. I think there's still another month or so until it's released here.

Super Moderator

UK
    I don't know why we're having to wait so long for "Fuzz". If i'm not mistaken, we got "Shaun" only about 2 weeks after of you. I think there's still another month or so until it's released here.
    lol, what are you smoking? We had it on DVD before it was released in cinemas in America, haha! SICK BURN BACK ATCHA!

We produce a couple more films than that, but blame Labour and other such wankers for making it really hard to make films in this country, bastards. Also, not everything we make is American friendly, as in, it'd probably be considered not that interesting for you lot...

And of course, some films take AGES to get over like, like The Descent.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hrmm.....maybe I was thinking of the dvd release.

You guys aren't always behind with movies, though. I know some flicks open up world wide on the same day(give or take a day).

Usually that's the blockbuster flicks. I kow "Spiderman 3" and "POTC 3" are opening that way.

United States
    We produce a couple more films than that, but blame Labour and other such wankers for making it really hard to make films in this country, bastards. Also, not everything we make is American friendly, as in, it'd probably be considered not that interesting for you lot...
    What about the sparse film years when labour were not in power, like the 80s? Im not claiming to know anything about your gov system, but the UK has not ever been a movie making powerhouse as far as quantity. there is probably more at play than the party in power.

And Hot Fuzz was not that impressive. A total mehh film.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Super Moderator

UK
    British filmmaking has always been a hard fought thing, it's just that now we're producing films that get more global recognition - like Shaun and Hot Fuzz, or like Four Weddings & A Funeral or Notting Hill, those kind of films.

My memory is fuzzy on the specific details now, but essentially the Labour government has changed the tax laws and such, which has ended up causing a whole heap of trouble for the British film industry - that Johnny Depp movie "The Libertine" got into trouble because of it.

While there's plenty of media within our country for our country, the global distribution is much reduced, and then you get many times when British talent f*cks off to America and leaves us behind.

Bassman, yeah, the BIG blockbusters get released at about the same time, with the odd global date, but the vast majority of films come out months later in the UK, same for TV shows. Believe me, if the tables were turned and it was you guys waiting ages to get films and TV, you'd be bitching and taking full advantage of the few first-grab-chances (like Hot Fuzz) that you'd get.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oh yeah, MZ. I'm not denying that it sucks for you. Just joshin around.

At least these days you have the power to see the movie if it's not released in your country. Hrm hrm. I thought about doing so with "Hot Fuzz", but I would much rather experience it on the screen for the first time. And those guys(wright, pegg, frost) deserve every penny, so i'll give it to em.

Super Moderator

UK
    hehe, even though it's here in the UK, I still downloaded it, purely because I don't wanna be that sad billy no mates going to the cinema on their own, that's just a bit naff...but that happens when you're mates are spread out all over the country (or even world) after uni and such...

Anyway, Hot Fuzz is a blatant DVD purchase, guaranteed.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Capn... you should have your head examined. "Shaun" and "Spaced" are friggin great. Americans are STILL waiting to see "Hot Fuzz". Everyone has their own opinion and all....but what the f*ck is wrong with you?
    I got taste. I could ask you the same question technically.

Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    And Hot Fuzz was not that impressive. A total meh film.
    This seems to be the general opinion of the movie, which is a shame. I had high hopes 'cos the trailer looked 20 times better than the whole Shaun movie to me.
    Last edited by capncnut; 23-Mar-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    hehe, even though it's here in the UK, I still downloaded it, purely because I don't wanna be that sad billy no mates going to the cinema on their own, that's just a bit naff...but that happens when you're mates are spread out all over the country (or even world) after uni and such...
    That's my favorite way to see a flick in theater, man. I go by myself as much as I can. I prefer going alone rather than taking my buddies or girlfriend.

Capn, What kind of comedy do you like?

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, I've always gotta be with someone at the cinema, I just look like a sad old numpty if I'm anywhere alone, haha! The cinema is a place best suited to couples, duos or groups...so that's the only time I go to the cinema, sometimes I'll cram in two films into a day to get the most bang for the day's buck. It's tiring though actually, spending the whole day at the cinema watching flicks...strange...

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Capn, What kind of comedy do you like?
    Mostly stand up as sitcoms rarely make me laugh. The best sitcom stuff was done in the 80's like Diff'rent Strokes, Taxi and Home Improvement. But they don't make me laugh out loud like stand up comics do.

lol, I've always gotta be with someone at the cinema, I just look like a sad old numpty if I'm anywhere alone, haha!
    I'm the other way around. I hate going to the theater with someone 'cos they're always like: "Where's the bogs?" or "This movie is a pile of s**t!" I prefer to go to the cinema alone and if someone has to come then it's one only. Any more than that and I class it as a night out drinking, 'cos that's what we mostly end up doing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Home Improvement is F*CKING LUSH! I love that show (catch repeats on ABC1 whenever I can), that show was great, *does the grunt*, that gets me chuckling heartily along, love that show. I remember watching it on first-runs back in the 1990s when I sat eating my dinner on a tray in the family room with my mum (along with other shows like Desmond's - about a West Indian family running a barber shop ... at least I think they were W.I's) on Channel 4 at like 6pm ... ahhh, classic.

See, this is why I go to the cinema with people I know like film as much as I do, or at least almost as much as I do - so I can discuss it with them on the same level.

Case-in-point.

Went to see the Hills Have Eyes remake with my friend Emma (who was the lass in "my NIGHTMARE" and "Trapped" by the way), and we just talked movies the whole way there and back and had a blast in the cinema.

Went to see Land of the Dead with fellow dead-head-pal Gareth "my NIGHTMARE"/"Smack Addict"/"VHS"/"I Am Zombie Man" Knox, and we had an absolute blast, we sat there jumping about in our seats, cackling horridly as the gore unfolded on screen, yelping "noiiice!" in hushed tones.

Went to see "The Break-Up" and "POTC2MC" with my sister ... well, that doesn't necessarily count in this particular context, as we're family - and strangely enough, we actually get along with each other, no fights or anything.

Went to see The Island with Knox, we both sat gawping at Scarlett Johansson, then saw Fantastic Four afterwards with him and Ben "Trapped"/"Smack Addict"/"VHS" Connell, when we all gawped at Jessica Alba.

I have very rarely gone to the cinema in a large group, no more than 2 other people usually.

Mind you, I went to see Shaun of the Dead with Emma's sister, Lucy, and she brought along a friend of hers, who I got the distinct impression wasn't at all impressed by me, or at least was totally up for leaving the age-barrier between us completely in tact, haha. Anyway ... we kept completely quiet during the film ... except for the audience-wide gut-blasting belly laughs ... then the evening was kinda f*cked up at the end as I spent an hour trying to leave Newport, unsuccessfully (including a dodgy trip of the other side of Newport (across the bridge), which was a bit shady), until I had to admit defeat and hang up my manly credentials and *sigh* ... ask for directions ... I felt like SUCH a f*cking plum ... needless to say I didn't risk going to the cinema with Lucy again for fear of her arsy mate calling me "the guy that got us lost" or some sh*t...

capncnut
    I remember watching it on first-runs back in the 1990s when I sat eating my dinner on a tray in the family room with my mum (along with other shows like Desmond's - about a West Indian family running a barber shop ... at least I think they were W.I's) on Channel 4 at like 6pm...
    "PORKPIE!!!"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    "PORKPIE!!!"
    EXACTLY...it reminds me of piss poor 1990's oven chips that tasted more like cardboard that anything else. It reminds me of sitting there knowing I had to drag upstairs to do homework after 7pm and that there was school the next day *sigh* ... but still, all memories worth saving.

capncnut
    It reminds me of sitting there knowing I had to drag upstairs to do homework after 7pm and that there was school the next day *sigh*... but still, all memories worth saving.
    There is nothing worse than that feeling. Open All Hours was a similar one for me. It was on Sunday evenings at like 8pm and just reminded me that I had to go to s**ty, wanky, bollocky school in the morning and that it would be nearly a week until I had another day off. Still, priceless memories though.