Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earth 2? ...

Super Moderator

UK
    Only Capn could go from new planet to the intricacies of the interplanetary blunt market.

And another idea - with all the ifs, what if there was an equal race of people over there, but they were either behind us or in front of us development wise? If they were behind, you just know it wouldn't be a case of leave them to it, we'd end up speeding them along, or perhaps it'd be the other way around ... or if it was the other way around, you just know the politicians would be weary of them as we would be the ones on the back foot, and prime for being taken over - if the others even wanted to do that, but you know how politicians think...

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Only Capn could go from new planet to the intricacies of the interplanetary blunt market.

And another idea - with all the ifs, what if there was an equal race of people over there, but they were either behind us or in front of us development wise? If they were behind, you just know it wouldn't be a case of leave them to it, we'd end up speeding them along, or perhaps it'd be the other way around ... or if it was the other way around, you just know the politicians would be weary of them as we would be the ones on the back foot, and prime for being taken over - if the others even wanted to do that, but you know how politicians think...

Or maybe we will just end up in an argument about which religion is better, another group of sucidial bombings to worry about. and imagine the racial tensions we would have....

capncnut
    Imagine if they spoke the same language and had the exact same Bible as us but with edits like 'The Testament According To Matthew Of Earth'. That would pretty much seal that debate.
    Last edited by capncnut; 26-Apr-2007 at 10:42 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Speaking of all things spacey, I just saw on ITV News a clip of Stephen Hawking being taken on one of those zero-G flights so he could experience weightlessness ... it was pretty cool, just brought a smile to my face to see the bloke so blatantly loving it.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Imagine if they spoke the same language had the exact same Bible as us but with edits like 'The Testament According To Matthew Of Earth'. That would pretty much seal that debate.
    Or the entire planet practices some similiar form of vodoo that we see here on earth....but they do it successfully....and on a regular basis raise the dead to do chores for them.....

Disgruntled employees commonly make vodoo dolls to put curses ontheir bosses.....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Disgruntled employees commonly make vodoo dolls to put curses ontheir bosses...
    I've thought about making one or two myself.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd point out how totally pointless this discovery seems, but I know Terran would go bonkers if I did.

United States

And just how far away is that planet in miles?

So to measure really long distances, people use a unit called a light year. Light travels at 186,000 miles per second (300,000 kilometers per second). Therefore, a light second is 186,000 miles (300,000 kilometers). A light year is the distance that light can travel in a year, or:

186,000 miles/second * 60 seconds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 24 hours/day * 365 days/year = 5,865,696,000,000 miles/year

A light year is 5,865,696,000,000 miles (9,460,800,000,000 kilometers)

So, the planet is: 120,246,768,000,000 miles away! (Over 120 trillion miles!)

Well what are we waiting for? Let's go!!

Reference Page: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question94.htm

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'd point out how totally pointless this discovery seems, but I know Terran would go bonkers if I did.

Nah Id agree.....The only thing that will be interesting is to see how much we can find out about the planet by looking at it through telescopes and other devices.....

...*sigh*...

Heres hoping for the "singularity" so I can maybe one day see places like this

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    How is proving at least planets of earth'esque size exist, pointless?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    How is proving at least planets of earth'esque size exist, pointless?
    Because we discovered it through a telescope. It's like discovering a new form of deep sea bacteria with a magnifying glass, looking down from sea level! Tell him, Terran!

United Kingdom
    I dont know, I dont think its pointless, it gives us a directtion to point our rockets in when we are ready to travel that far.

Undisclosed
    Theres certain things we should be able to tell and it will be interesting....
    and help prove concepts and theories ....or stir up new concepts and theories....

But it seems we will be very limited in the way we can view and interact with this planet....

So unlike things we learn about our own solar system this seems it will be practically useless because we will never be able to get anything there.....at least in the conceivable future

I mean....who didnt already believe that there were earth sized planets out there....