Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "What's Causin' All This?!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Read the book. Great stuff, until about halfway through. Then, it gets stupid for me.

Anyway:

Cell phone rings. Someone answers. Some mysterious signal ('The Pulse") comes through their phone, and erases their minds. They eqaute the brain to a computer hard drive, and "The Pulse" served to "system restore" their brains. So, none of the "software" (everything a person learns from birth) is there anymore.

Then....they head into the second half of the book, and I stop liking it.
    Sounds cool, I'll have to check this out.

Yeah, like the Stand, the first part of the book rocked, but once they got into the entire good vs. evil mystical magical religious battle he lost me. Stephen King does write a good half novel some of the time!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Just been bitten

United States
    Some very bored gods and/or space aliens.
    God is Santa Claus for adults

Haiti
    I rather like the fact that we're never told. I think that if we'd been spoon fed some corny reason like a virus or some sort of mysterious radiation the films would not have been as powerful or as enduring.
    Zombies in this context, much as we love to speculate, are nothing more than a plot device enabling a talented storyteller to ask some uncomfortable questions about human nature in a popular mass medium.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Undisclosed
    We Did!

England
    Al Gore...

Honestly though, I don't give a ****. They are butchering the neighbours and trying to smash down your front door....defend yourselves!!!

BTW, Yojimbo - Spot on, the first part of "The Stand" is excellent, but I also started losing interest once the initial die off/plague was done with and we got into "ma whatsername" and the cornfield crap.

United States
    I would blame it on George Bush.

-stray-

Undisclosed
    It seems every "zombie flick" has its own take on what causes the outbreak, in the first place.

The Romero films, however, are famous for "never explaining" how the dead are able to rise. I think that's part of the appeal.
    Well a early press release from Walter Reade (distributor of NOTLD) stated that the reason was due to man's use of atomic power.

United States
    My thing about zombie movies and horror flicks in general is that they're seemingly sparked by real events or creatures or folklore. So I deeply enjoy the possibility of something plausible... because it makes it a potential threat and that's kinda exciting to me...

Recently i've been working on a scenario on the dead coming back to life because of a muscular transplant... its really intriguing to me that they use parts from dead bodies and put them into living beings (possibly why i'm an organ donor) but also that they continue to try to recycle more and more parts from dead bodies to prolong the life of the living. And well from these expiraments who's to say that the host wont die from the dead transplant? I know organs can be rejected but instead of rejection I'm aiming for something more along the lines of a mutation to the dead cells rather than the dead cells mutating with the living parts.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Sorry but the virus is the only one that makes any sense to me,i dont buy the radiation and falling satellites stuff!stephen kings "cell" was interesting though,even if they werent strictly zombies...
    Agree. Aside from supernatural explanations, a virus (or bacterium, maybe) makes the most sense. It's more difficult to imagine radiation or an electrical disturbance doing something as complicated as reanimating a dead corpse. Taking over another organism for its own purposes, on the other hand, is what a virus does.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I would keep it as Romero has kept it with his series. It doesn't matter what started it....we have to deal with it and we wouldn't be able to. That's what it's about - dealing with it. F*ck the cause of it all.

If Dr. Frankenstein couldn't figure it out, I don't want to know.
    In the event that "it" ever did happen it's highly unlikely that the average citizen would have any clue as to what was causing it anyway. There would be too much widespread anarchy. You' have to watch your ass on multiple sides. From the zombies as well as other humans looking to survive even if it means killing you. Day is arguably 3-5 years into it and the scientists still didn't know what the hell was going on.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Yeah but with todays advanced technology and education you'd imagine that they'd be able to find out whats causing the zombie stuff and making it happen.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    In the event that "it" ever did happen it's highly unlikely that the average citizen would have any clue as to what was causing it anyway. There would be too much widespread anarchy. You' have to watch your ass on multiple sides. From the zombies as well as other humans looking to survive even if it means killing you. Day is arguably 3-5 years into it and the scientists still didn't know what the hell was going on.
    It really would depend on the cause and how quickly things are happening with the infection and the fall of civilization. If it were a virus though, it would probably be easily detectable by modern medical research, though understanding it would be the difficult part.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    It really would depend on the cause and how quickly things are happening with the infection and the fall of civilization. If it were a virus though, it would probably be easily detectable by modern medical research, though understanding it would be the difficult part.
    Viruses don't use dead flesh, though.

Anyway, under some theories (like the pole-reversal thing) civilization would fall in 1 day. Reason being, ALL the dead would rise, EVERYWHERE, all at once, worldwide. There would be no "spreading". Just BOOM, here it is, in every backwater on the planet.

Super Moderator

United States
    Viruses don't use dead flesh, though.
    I wasn't one of the people arguing for a viral cause, just pointing out that were it to be a virus it could be discerned relatively easily.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I wasn't one of the people arguing for a viral cause, just pointing out that were it to be a virus it could be discerned relatively easily.
    Oh, yes, it certainly could...

Wait.

If it were a virus, and viruses don't attack dead flesh, it could get tricky: This virus could do...well, something...to the victim, to cause them to die, then reanimate. After death, the virus flees the body, since it has no more use for it.

That would make detection all kinds of difficult. You'd have to have someone who is infected, but not dead yet. And if they aren't dead yet, how do you know they're infected?

Bad news.....