Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surviving Night

England
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    loft is above the garage here.................
    Would ya be safe from marauding hoardes of deadites up there? Hight is the key here (IMO) if they can't bash away at your defenses you are set for as long you have water.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Hoosier View Post
    I think the cellar was the way to go. Nothing was getting through that door (they were made a helluva lot better back then than they are today, too). You could drill a viewing hole through the door to scope out and possible escape. Simply, you have to take all of your supplies to the safest place and wait...and that safest place was the cellar.
    There is another big disadvantage to the cellar: it doesn't exist in any farmhouse as seen in the movie. The upstairs rooms had old-style radiators for heat, yet in the cellar there were meters for centralized heating as well as a huge junction box suitable for an office building. In reality, there would have also been an outside entrance to the cellar, which I believe Barbra runs by on the way to the back porch.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    In reality, there would have also been an outside entrance to the cellar, which I believe Barbra runs by on the way to the back porch.
    Good eye, there.

I didn't notice seeing one....I'm going to put the DVD in right now, and check...

Uh...can't really tell. It looks a bit small and off-kilter. It might be a basement entrance, but then again, it might just be a board lying up against the house.
    Last edited by SRP76; 12-Nov-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Would ya be safe from marauding hoardes of deadites up there? Hight is the key here (IMO) if they can't bash away at your defenses you are set for as long you have water.

no u wouldnt. garage isnt as sturdy as a house. plus theres more to a house,stenches could probably push a garage over due to its size

England
    DC, well spotted, but I will point out that in GAR's world of Night, it is clearly stated that there is only one entrance to the cellar, so the opening that Barbra runs past must be discounted (or viewed as a seconadary cellar).

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    no u wouldnt. garage isnt as sturdy as a house. plus theres more to a house,stenches could probably push a garage over due to its size
    Ah well, better make some other plans bud...me, I'll be sneaking off into my attic when "they" come...Cooper style!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 12-Nov-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    DC, well spotted, but I will point out that in GAR's world of Night, it is clearly stated that there is only one entrance to the cellar, so the opening that Barbra runs past must be discounted (or viewed as a seconadary cellar).

Not necessarily. It was only stated by Cooper that there's only one door. And he's a screwup of Miguel proportions.

His word might not carry a lot of weight. A good chance he was wrong.

Chasing Prey

Canada

Ah well, better make some other plans bud...me, I'll be sneaking off into my attic when "they" come...Cooper style!

i never said i'd go to a loft in the first place............

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Not necessarily. It was only stated by Cooper that there's only one door. And he's a screwup of Miguel proportions.
    Oof, now that is harsh!

Anybody got the NotLD novel? Maybe that would shed some light on this with a better narrators description of said cellar?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post

His word might not carry a lot of weight. A good chance he was wrong.
    It's mentioned (though of course, never seen) that there was a fruit cellar in the basement. Maybe the outside door leads to the fruit cellar?

Helen Cooper is also stabbed on a step in front of a door. Mostly likely it's a door to a boiler room, but could it have been a door to the fruit cellar?

United States
    Upstairs is the way people. Any military strategist would agree that the high ground is always preferable. The upstairs windows gave perfect views of the entire surrounding area. I always wondered why those windows weren't used more?
    As far as taking out the stairs goes, if faced with death by being eaten alive by a horde of reanimated ghouls, I would get those steps pried off in a hurry! You could call me Bob Mother ****in' Villa! It doesn't have to be pretty, just good enough so the zombies (if they make it inside) can't use the steps. Also barricade the top of the stairwell too as backup.
    If worse came to worse, you could always escape to the roof of the house. I really don't think the zombies were coordinated enough to climb out there after anyone!
    I always thought the upstairs was wasted...

United States
    I was thinking the same thing about the roof, until I put the DVD in a few minutes ago.

As it turns out, this particular house doesn't have gables that give onto the roof. The upstairs windows are below the top of the exterior walls.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i at least would have picke doff the zombies standing by the energy meter. some of those idiots are crafty

United States
    I have a lot of relatives in west Kentucky farm country. The extra cellar door may go to a storm cellar. Most of them (my relatives) have a seperate cellar for tornado weather. The logic being if the twister smashes the house flat it won't collapse into the cellar you're hiding in.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by wyvern1096 View Post
    I have a lot of relatives in west Kentucky farm country. The extra cellar door may go to a storm cellar. Most of them (my relatives) have a seperate cellar for tornado weather. The logic being if the twister smashes the house flat it won't collapse into the cellar you're hiding in.

to be totally blunt and honest,it may seem far fetched but apparently if u open all ur windows and ur by a twister,ur house is spared a lot of times because theres no pressure build up

Undisclosed
    Destroying the stairs is definitely not impossible. Agreed, it would be a challenge with just a hammer, but I bet they could have managed with what they had. I bet ~4 hours with hammer and screw driver. Less with an axe. To buy time they could use interior doors to barricade off the room w/ the staircase in it.