Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how many of the dead films have you see on the big screen?

United States
    I was born in '88 so I've only had the chance to see Land (3 times) and the Dawn remake (if you count that) in the theater.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    arrgh. there are only two left around here. one in oakley (a neighborhood in cincinnati) and one in hamilton - which i don't visit unless heavily armed.
    ahh hamilton. crazy white folks

the one im right by (10 minutes away) is basically in the middle of nowhere minus a metro park and a few businesses a few blocks away. i just wish it was a bit further into the country to get a real drive in feel. on the negative side,it isnt like the ones in los angeles where during the intermission u could switch screens and it sucks. theres no reason to not have it that way

United States
    i was only 9 when notld 90 came out, but was a huge fan already. i was practically twitching when my brothers told me they saw a trailer for the remake, but sadly never caught one myself. couldn't find anyone to take me to the movie at that time either.

i did catch dawn 2004 in theaters, i saw it on the opening friday at about 2pm. me and a couple of my fellow Marines went and saw it after we'd been released on liberty from our battalion's 10 mile hike that morning.

i didn't catch land in theaters, as i heard 3 guys (all fellow living dead fans) say that it wasn't worth sitting through. i did buy the dvd the day it came out.

i plan on attending diary in the theaters, but i don't think i'm gonna go until i can find a nice afternoon showing without all the dumb-ass teeny-boppers texting each other and carrying on like a bunch of morons.

so...to make a long post short: 1 remake, that's it.

man, i'd love to be able to see dead marathon, to include night 1990, on the big screen.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I went to a sneak preview screening of the Dawn remake. I saw Land the weekend it came out. And, if it counts, I've projected Dawn 78 in my friends garage that we turned into a mini movie theatre.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    ahh hamilton. crazy white folks
    yes hamilton, oh is the capital of all white trash hillbillydom on planet earth.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    i wonder if that was because of the whole war of the worlds scare? after that whole nutty fiasco it seems media outlets had to play mr. obvious.
    The "War of the Welles" scare took place some 35 years earlier, so that probably had nothing to do with it. The first NIGHT TV broadcasts took place in the early 70s before cable TV, when the major stations still bought syndicated feature film packages. You only had 8 stations to choose from, and many people still had black & white sets. NIGHT was usually aired following the 11:00 pm news and at that time, it looked a lot like the news. I suppose they were just covering their butts.

The subtitle didn't help me much because I was too young to know what "dramatization" meant. That first TV broadcast had me hooked on Romero by the time I was about 7 years old.

also smaller, neighborhood theaters like the esquire in cincy are one of the other places you might catch a real gem on the big screen. sadly they are going the way of the dodo and the drive-in.
    The closest cinema to where I grew up was exactly as you described--it was an independent that would sometimes show first-run films (saw Jaws, King Kong and The Towering Inferno there), but it would also frequently book independent and foreign gems. It had just one screen, any film that was playing was there for at least one week. It was the only cinema in my area that ran Fulci's ZOMBIE first-run. I was underage at the time, but I still got in!

Another interesting memory is that I saw DAY twice during its premiere week (at the same cinema that had turned me away from seeing DAWN) and both times the theater was packed. One screening was after midnight, which I think is unusual because they always say that DAY made no money. Nowadays, I'm often sitting in empty theaters for big-run films during prime screening hours.

I also forgot about including NIGHT '90 or DAWN '04. Saw both first-run and then wished that I hadn't.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    The "War of the Welles" scare took place some 35 years earlier, so that probably had nothing to do with it. The first NIGHT TV broadcasts took place in the early 70s before cable TV, when the major stations still bought syndicated feature film packages. You only had 8 stations to choose from, and many people still had black & white sets. NIGHT was usually aired following the 11:00 pm news and at that time, it looked a lot like the news. I suppose they were just covering their butts.

The subtitle didn't help me much because I was too young to know what "dramatization" meant. That first TV broadcast had me hooked on Romero by the time I was about 7 years old.

The closest cinema to where I grew up was exactly as you described--it was an independent that would sometimes show first-run films (saw Jaws, King Kong and The Towering Inferno there), but it would also frequently book independent and foreign gems. It had just one screen, any film that was playing was there for at least one week. It was the only cinema in my area that ran Fulci's ZOMBIE first-run. I was underage at the time, but I still got in!

Another interesting memory is that I saw DAY twice during its premiere week (at the same cinema that had turned me away from seeing DAWN) and both times the theater was packed. One screening was after midnight, which I think is unusual because they always say that DAY made no money. Nowadays, I'm often sitting in empty theaters for big-run films during prime screening hours.

I also forgot about including NIGHT '90 or DAWN '04. Saw both first-run and then wished that I hadn't.

Good God, the Towering Inferno with Steve McQueen and Paul Newman? Wow.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Good God, the Towering Inferno with Steve McQueen and Paul Newman? Wow.
    Yeah, it was quite the spectacle back in the 70s. Man, do I feel old.

capncnut
    Dawn of the Dead is a remarkable cinematic experience. I saw it a couple of years ago on a fairly big screen and was bowled over by the epic-ness of the truck sequence. Place was packed too.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Dawn of the Dead is a remarkable cinematic experience. I saw it a couple of years ago on a fairly big screen and was bowled over by the epic-ness of the truck sequence. Place was packed too.
    yeah when it was shown at the danbury a few years ago the theater was a madhouse. i don't think you could've gotten anyone else in there with a shoe horn. they probably could've shown it every sat night all summer and made a bundle. then again, every midnight flick i went to that summer (friday the 13th pt 1, fright night, return of the living dead, suspiria, and halloween) was a packed house.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    then again, every midnight flick i went to that summer (friday the 13th pt 1, fright night, return of the living dead, suspiria, and halloween) was a packed house.
    I've never seen an Argento film on the big screen. Deep Red or Suspiria would be my obvious choices. I remember the TV trailers scaring the crap out of me as a kid.

capncnut
    yeah when it was shown at the danbury a few years ago the theater was a madhouse. i don't think you could've gotten anyone else in there with a shoe horn.
    Yeah, when Yawn 04 was theatrically making it's run, my local theater did a midnight screening of Dawn 78 on a Saturday night and the place was fricken ram-jam. Amazingly silent for a midnight screening I must say even though the place was packed like sardines. Pure appreciation in the house .

I've never seen an Argento film on the big screen. Deep Red or Suspiria would be my obvious choices.
    Saw Suspiria at the cinema in the late nineties (maybe 98 or 99, cant remember). The soundtrack was phuckin' loud, man! Awesome though, my only Argento theatrical experience.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Yeah, it was quite the spectacle back in the 70s. Man, do I feel old.
    Came out in 73, right? I only missed it by a few years. Not old, can you imagine saying you were actually born in the 80s or 90s? No thanks, power up the Rascals.

United Kingdom
    only ever seen land on the big screen, sad that I missed the orignals when they came out.... Though they did a horror night a few years ago in my local Cinema which had day and dawn showing and i missed it :-(

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Came out in 73, right? I only missed it by a few years. Not old, can you imagine saying you were actually born in the 80s or 90s? No thanks, power up the Rascals.
    I think Towering Inferno came out later, around 1975. I remember seeing it around the same time as Jaws. I was a bit too young to see Irwin Allen's prior disaster epic The Poseidon Adventure in theaters, which came out around '72. I caught on TV during its first broadcast a few years later, which was a big deal at the time.