10 58.82%
  • pets suck. don't care for them

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs or Cats...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    I dunno...you couldve added more explanation points!!!...!!!...!!!

They actually have emotions and live higher up on the evolutionary scale than cats do.
    Just to be a stickler in terms of evolution that would be a false statement....Its called a teleological argument (used a lot by intelligent design people or creationists)....Its basically wording that implies all life essentially wants to be humans and humans are working their way up this "ladder" trying to reach spirit or angel status...they just arent "evolved enough" or far up enough on the "evolutionary ladder"....Humans are the most evolved and all other animals are just "lower" animals or not "evolved" enough....and this is just not correct if one is talking about the scientific concept of evolution....

Like when you say "live higher up on the evolutionary scale" your actually referring to diagrams like this....I couldnt find the one that basically goes .....Matter < Animals < Human < Angels < God.....

and this just has nothing to do with science...

Its an incorrect notion that has unfortunately infiltrated a lot of the lingo when talking about evolution....because strictly speaking there is no such thing as an "evolutionary scale"....A simple jellyfish or bacteria is just as "evolved" as a human or anything else on the planet...but still this incorrect concept permeates in the lingo because we refer to them as "lower organisms"....etc....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    I dunno...you couldve added more explanation points!!!...!!!...!!!

Just to be a stickler in terms of evolution that would be a false statement....Its called a teleological argument (used a lot by intelligent design people or creationists)....Its basically wording that implies all life essentially wants to be humans and humans are working their way up this "ladder" trying to reach spirit or angel status...they just arent "evolved enough" or far up enough on the "evolutionary ladder"....Humans are the most evolved and all other animals are just "lower" animals or not "evolved" enough....and this is just not correct if one is talking about the scientific concept of evolution....

Like when you say "live higher up on the evolutionary scale" your actually referring to diagrams like this....I couldnt find the one that basically goes .....Matter < Animals < Human < Angels < God.....

and this just has nothing to do with science...

Its an incorrect notion that has unfortunately infiltrated a lot of the lingo when talking about evolution....because strictly speaking there is no such thing as an "evolutionary scale"....A simple jellyfish or bacteria is just as "evolved" as a human or anything else on the planet...but still this incorrect concept permeates in the lingo because we refer to them as "lower organisms"....etc....

The pinnacle of earth evolution is intelligence and self awareness. Humans are the most advanced species on our planet.

Undisclosed
    The pinnacle of earth evolution is intelligence and self awareness. Humans are the most advanced species on our planet.
    I dunno....I would say the pinnacle of earths evolution was photosynthesis....that’s whats made everything else even possible in the forms we see today…..

But even thats besides the point....the point is that evolution is nearly random and not teleologic....if certain extinctions didnt happen humans would have never happened....if certain species didnt first develop certain future species would have never developed...

Its not like evolution thought "Hmm, intelligence is the ultimate goal of this whole entire process and mammals, more specifically primates, were the most capable, the most selected to fullfill evolutions plan"

Intelligence is a useful adaptive strategy but not the most useful nor the most selected for....if an asteroid didn’t allegedly hit the planet millions of years ago "conscious" life might be more of the bird/dino variety....

Are humans the smartest animals on the planet…of course….were we destined to this fate….of course not…

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Banned User

Undisclosed
    photosynthesis while amazing and beautiful is not nearly as impressive as self consciousness.

Undisclosed
    photosynthesis while amazing and beautiful is not nearly as impressive as self consciousness.
    Well....sure ....I guess....but on a given person this could be debatable...but all the rest of the things i said still remain valid...and that was the meat of things...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Definitely dogs. Cats are like the drag queens of the animal kingdom....

My second choice would be ferrets.

Undisclosed
    cats are the perfect pet for lazy people, no walking them just feed them once a day and let them outside to take care of business. plus cats have an attitude where as dogs are just soppy lumps..

United Kingdom
    Cats are damn boring. Their free will and attitude is surely the sort of thing you don't want in a pet, you want a pet to rely on you and respect you, which cats don't. They could never be the sort of companion a dog can be, a few more thousand years of domestication, then, maybe.
    Last edited by Craig; 04-Feb-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Undisclosed
    Watch a boy and his dog...enough said

Undisclosed
    Great movie

United States
    They both taste great!!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Canada
    dogs all the way. a cat cant bring back birds after i shoot them lol.
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

United States
    I'm going to have to go with dogs on this one... I just can't trust something that wont go in the water... sounds witchy to meee...

That and every now and then when I look at my cat I get the feeling like she's secretly plotting my demise. And when you tell a cat 'NO' when they do something evil to the furniture for some reason they flash this look like 'who me? I didn't do anything' ... they're too cagey to be trusted I tell ya! Whereas when you tell the dog no he gives you this awww damn I screwed up didn't I? look... yeah... dogs deffnly
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Tigers love to swim! (you guessed it, I'm a feline-fan). had a dog, wasn't great.

United States
    Dogs. Big ones. Grew up with German Shepherds and now have a Malamute. We have two cats, which I don't mind, but if I had to choose between the two, dogs all the way, baby.