Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Zombieland - A film with Woody Harrelson

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Going to a theme park during a zombie outbreak dosnt strike you as stupid? Chasing after and falling in love with a women after shes screwed you over twice in a matter of hours, after youve just met, dosnt sound stupid in the least?

To me, these make dawns zombie baby or dog chasing girl sound like MENSA applicants by comparison.
    So by that logic, repeatedly throwing non-effectual vinyl LPs at zombies makes Shaun of the Dead the worst film ever?

Or maybe answering a mobile phone in the middle of street of zombies makes Shaun of the Dead the worst film ever?

But I suspect your measuring stick is different there for some reason? And that's of course my point!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well yeah it's different, because Shaun of the Dead actually had good HUMOR in't!!
    Z-land was NOT a thinking-man's comedy. In Shaun, you even learn a little vocabulary!
    There wasn't a single moment in the American one that I can remember being entertained. Not one second.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Well yeah it's different, because Shaun of the Dead actually had good HUMOR in't!!
    Z-land was NOT a thinking-man's comedy. In Shaun, you even learn a little vocabulary!
    There wasn't a single moment in the American one that I can remember being entertained. Not one second.
    That's not the point at hand is it, so you're moving the goal posts. The point made was Zombieland was 'stupid' because of some example events. I bring equally, or even more, stupid events from Shaun to the table, but for some reason that's different!? Why? Because you like X, but not Y... Hmmm....

As for good humour, bad humour, and comparing Shaun and Zombieland, I'd have to point out they're not really fair comparisons. Zombieland is more of a buddy movie, whereas Shaun is an out and out comedy. Shaun is of course a suprior comedy, but I'd have to say IMHO, Zombieland offers a broader sweep of emotions, which makes it just an interesting ride for me...

But again, to come back to the point in hand, to call Zombieland 'stupid' or 'shit' seems rediculous. And as pointed out, the reasons being brought to the table to justify this show how unfair, how unreasoned and therefore how unjustified that thinking is... To me it seems more petty elitism than anything actually fair!

And to conclude with, as I'd point out with any film. Just because you didn't enjoy it, does not make it shit or rubbish. There's plenty of films that I didn't gel with, but I know they're well enough made to not pigeon hole them as such. Seems a very sad state of affairs when people have such a binary tolerance towards films. Can you not understand that some other people might enjoy aspects of this film? That infact it's not stupid or silly, and that it's as simple as that the film didn't fit you?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Chasing after and falling in love with a women after shes screwed you over twice in a matter of hours, after youve just met, dosnt sound stupid in the least?
    Actually, that sounds like the typical mating ritual of the average human male...

Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    In Shaun, you even learn a little vocabulary!
    "Can I get any of you c*nts a drink?"

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Actually I meant 'exacerbate'... But yeah, that too for me, anyway, Rancid.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That's not the point at hand is it, so you're moving the goal posts. The point made was Zombieland was 'stupid' because of some example events. I bring equally, or even more, stupid events from Shaun to the table, but for some reason that's different!? Why? Because you like X, but not Y... Hmmm....

As for good humour, bad humour, and comparing Shaun and Zombieland, I'd have to point out they're not really fair comparisons. Zombieland is more of a buddy movie, whereas Shaun is an out and out comedy. Shaun is of course a suprior comedy, but I'd have to say IMHO, Zombieland offers a broader sweep of emotions, which makes it just an interesting ride for me...

But again, to come back to the point in hand, to call Zombieland 'stupid' or 'shit' seems rediculous. And as pointed out, the reasons being brought to the table to justify this show how unfair, how unreasoned and therefore how unjustified that thinking is... To me it seems more petty elitism than anything actually fair!

And to conclude with, as I'd point out with any film. Just because you didn't enjoy it, does not make it shit or rubbish. There's plenty of films that I didn't gel with, but I know they're well enough made to not pigeon hole them as such. Seems a very sad state of affairs when people have such a binary tolerance towards films. Can you not understand that some other people might enjoy aspects of this film? That infact it's not stupid or silly, and that it's as simple as that the film didn't fit you?
    Remind you of how people talk about dawn much?

Administrator

England
    Remind you of how people talk about dawn much?
    ? ? ?
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I loved the no nonsense silliness of Zombieland and loved the Englishness and utter brilliance of Shaun.
    Im new by the way!!

Super Moderator

United States
    ? ? ?
    Dawn 04.

Quote Originally Posted by chokeonthem View Post
    I loved the no nonsense silliness of Zombieland and loved the Englishness and utter brilliance of Shaun.
    Im new by the way!!
    Totally agree and welcome. Hope to see you post more often and feel free to introduce yourself, if you like, or just jump right in. It's always good to see new, earnest posters.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Going to be interesting to see where they take the sequel!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Going to be interesting to see where they take the sequel!
    Err ... I think it was said somewhere above, a sequel is highly unlikely isn't it?

Perhaps that's for the best, but I'm sure somebody could come up with a groovy script for a sequel ... hey, maybe they should hire me *hint hint* I am trying to get my career going after all.

But yes, I - like Choke - really dug the sense of fun about it. Nevermind the lack of knowledge regarding zombies from the creators, nevermind that they're ruddy runners, it's just a bloody good time. I had a blast watching it in the cinema - the audience was all totally into it.

England
    Don't know if this has been posted before but i found out the other day that Zombieland was originally pitched as a 24 episode tv series and was rewritten into a feature film so theres certainly material there already for a sequel at least.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    This is getting a bit paradoxical.

Sort of like comparing Lethal Weapon with Loaded Weapon. Scary Movie with Scream.

Zombieland is a teen comedy with a horror backdrop
    Shaun of the Dead is a romantic comedy with a horror backdrop

neither pretend to deal with any real social issues. Shaun was a parody. Zombieland was also a parody. They parody different things.

Dawn 04 was meant to be a serious horror movie (otherwise, don't have kid zombies) but with smatterings of light relief. Comparing Dawn 04, with Shaun, Zombieland, or Return of the Living Dead, is wafer thin at best.

No matter which one you enjoyed more, on paper they are satisfying completely different audiences. Character motivation cannot be compared in serious movies versus comedies, and even standalone they can't be analysed.

Woody Harrelson surviving in a cabin surrounded by 1000 zombies and just two pistols wouldn't have happened...
    And whatshisface wouldn't be trying to sell drugs to his mates whilst surrounded by the undead...
    And Nordberg would NEVER have been lucky enough for all 50 bullets to "miss all his major organs"
    And let's face it, Robert Hayes would have never landed that airliner.

But f*ck me I would have gone back for Emma Stone - I mean, she's the last woman on earth, how's that a bad motivation?? She can rip me off all she likes.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    But f*ck me I would have gone back for Emma Stone - I mean, she's the last woman on earth, how's that a bad motivation?? She can rip me off all she likes.
    Damn straight!

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I think a sequel would be a good idea. Bring Dan Aykroyd in this time!!
    I thought the cast were great, especially Woody and Emma Stone (Grrrr).
    I'd like to see more about these characters, although I do not like running zombies. (Controversial!!)