Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I'm leaving George Romero

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Congrats... you beat lee to my shitlist.
    I always was an overachiever.

All the cons I have been too I have never seen a con vendor who didn't have them. Prices range from $15.00 to $25.00 depending on the Shyster... err I mean Vendor
    Or how about FREE just for the asking?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Knowing that guys style I wouldn't be suprised dude.

He just comes off like the type of free spirit that would do something like that.

I'll bet if there is one that it would sell better than survival.

If I was down at my bar and saw Tom Savini not knowing who he is then he wouldn't be someone I would yell at to invite over to have a beer with the other good ol' boys I sit at the bar with. The man just looks like someone you wouldn't want to mess with/piss off.

Some folks are just like that (intense/intimidating looking even if they aren't). As far as I know Savini could be the kindest man in the world (I hear that Gary Klar is one of the nicest people in the world, as a side note) but Savini just looks like someone who could go completely nuts in a second's notice and start busting beer bottles over peoples heads.

Nope, I wouldn't mess with Savini. He could quickly probably turn any one of us into little chocolate men -- just by that hauntingly penetrating gaze if nothing else.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 10-Aug-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    before i get started, allow me to say that this thread is totally off-the-fucking-rails. totally made my afternoon after a long day of working manual labor outside (summer work b4 school picks up again). ok now:

i got the document of the dead dvd sent to my by the capn...who is now gone.

i received a box from kortick that had all kinds of dead-related goodies (NOtLD comics & 25th anniversary fanzine, fangoria mags about the night remake, a hare krishna NECA figure, still in box, etc....and a christmas card for me and my gf)....but anywho, he's gone now too.

oh and mike70 sent me a couple of dead soundtracks burned to disc....but guess what? yep, he's gone too.

we need the previously mentioned people back (from voluntary absences and bannings), this place isn't the same without them. i don't know what the fuck's going on with everyone lately, but things have been very odd around here lately.

and yes, JP, gary klar is one of the most memorable people i've ever met. meeting him, mark tierno, sara cardille, DJ, and billy ray was at con-tamination was a great experience. and i never would have been there if it hadn't been for this site...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. He interviewed a bunch of has beens trying to relive their glory days and packaged it in a shit "documentary" with quality close to those local sunday morning church services you see on cable access....
    I think you need glasses then.

I guess that's why some of the Romero crew members whose work fans are so fond of picked up copies for their collections or why the Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh wanted multiple copies. Here I thought you had better taste than that bassman but then again the doc is made for the fans of NOTLD.

I've never seen one thread topic jump around from the initial posting so much in my life.

Last edited by C5NOTLD; 11-Aug-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: ed: sp

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I like NOTLD a bit, but the remake gets more viewings.

I'm just not a brown noser and wasn't fond of the documentary. Sorry...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    It is actually kind of sad that for personal reason people would rather believe what they make up in there head.

Im sorry but it's time to be crass.... Anyone whom does not believe it is just being willfully ignorant. Because either you have seen the film or ACTUALLY read vintage reviews and interviews with George and you continue to disbelieve and at that point your are being stupid...
    How very Internet of you. Anything that disagrees with what YOU believe is made up in our heads. Have you stopped to notice how many pure opinions you are throwing out as fact as you insult other people for throwing out opinions?

For years after Dawn and Day came out I soaked up everything Romero. Every interview, every article, everything I could get my hands on. And I can tell you that in repeated interviews Romero blew off questions about social commentary in Dawn. I'm not going to expect you to take my word for it, you're way too arrogant for that. But stop suggesting that I'm willfully ignorant or stupid for believing what I heard and read myself. And stop being so naive as to believe that documentaries made years after the fact are accurate and complete to the events. You don't know everything.

I don't know what the real answer is. As I've said before I don't think the social commentary in Dawn is either purely intentional or unintentional. Romero said for years that Dawn was a "reflection of the times." And Deej is right on target when he says that Romero has stated that the primary reason for using the mall was that he thought it'd be a cool place to hole up against zombies. That was a recurring interview response.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

The same goes with Romero. Yes, he made some great films with "Knightriders"/ the original Dead trilogy/ but otherwise, for me at least, he's been giving us subpar work the last three films (even though "Diary" was less subpar than the other two).
    The original dead trilogy is hard to live up to as he set the bar pretty high.
    I still would rather watch a GAR zombie film made today than any other one including Shaun. I've always personally hoped he would do a remake of The Abominable Dr. Phibes. The original always had a GAR feel for some reason even though it was directed by Robert Fuest.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    @ Trin

I can't recall at this time in what interview it was in but i can clearly recall GAr saying that as well trin. I was probably a boy or teen when i saw it.

If a person just doesn't want to hear it then what else can you do?

Nothing. Because if one is going to willfully ignore the facts, and i know i say this alot, an intellectually honest argument cannot be had and it's time to leave it alone or else this will go one for pages on end.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If you have the Ultimate DAWN dvd, which I am sure all of us do I believe in the main Documentary, not Frumkes but the new one... Romero talks about the mall and his initial thought of its use.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If you have the Ultimate DAWN dvd, which I am sure all of us do I believe in the main Documentary, not Frumkes but the new one... Romero talks about the mall and his initial thought of its use.
    Really?

Popping it in now then.

We're going to get to the bottom of this...

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Can't believe all the posts we made in here today... However, something made me skim back to one of the last quotes I did of Dubs...

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Of course you do.

Rather than rambling aimlessly and pretending to be spokesman for the entire community, just cut to the chase and admit that 1.) you're pissed since I pointed out your assumption of thxleo kissing up to George Romero for being the delusional fantasy that it is, and 2.) you're also pissed because I think a dedicated forum to your movie is an inane attempt at attention-whoring which adds zero to HPOTD. Address the elephant in the forum, then we can move on and possibly live happily ever after.
    I would like to focus on this segment:

you're also pissed because I think a dedicated forum to your movie is an inane attempt at attention-whoring which adds zero to HPOTD.
    What I forgot to interject into my reply then and I will now... Well hello Kettle... how ya been?

It seems you are trying to sell a documentary about people who appeared in Romero's Night... but you don't consider that attention whoring? So in your world it is ok to whore yourself out, but not ok for anyone else to do it... Great double standard.

OH and as far as it adding Zero to HPoTD... Since my second film does contain a cast member from the original DAWN even nods at the original Dawn as well as the remake... I think it is completely relevant, but of course you wouldn't know that because you never bother to watch it and instead decided to make a blind statement.

Oh and as far as contributing to HPotD, this a zombie themed site that does have an indie film section which Neil installed back in the day, and... When Universal wouldn't give out any information about DAWN 04 it was myself and another member from Toronto who were able to get them to be more open and let us provide exclusive info on the project. Even the big boys like Bloody-Disgusting and CHUD etc etc had to hot link through my site to get any info because it all came through me... because I was able to convince them if they open up and talk more and show more... the zombie fans may get behind it as opposed to rebel against it.

Now back to the attention whoring thing? So would you not agree that your statement is blind and that you yourself are whoring your product?

I love pointing the moronic moments of people who make blind statements when they don't think about what they themselves are doing... so from one whore to another... FUCK YOU DUBS!

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Really?

Popping it in now then.

We're going to get to the bottom of this...

I wanna say it is within the 1st ten to twenty minutes of the documentary... Can't put it on at the moment... because I have my Ent Center dismantled to get rid of the friggin rats nest of wires... and my laptop doesn't have a blu-Ray player in it, and I only have the Blu-Ray verison out and easily accessible... I don't feel like digging out the Boxset from storage.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 11-Aug-2010 at 03:04 AM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Funny story that's related to this topic just as much as anything else that has been vomited up here the last few days...

I just finished watching the film "Death Note" -- and while I thought the film generally sucked (it had a great concept but the acting was some of the worst acting I think I've ever witnessed -- then again, maybe it's how Japanese actors act? I dunno...I don't generally watch Japanese films), I couldn't help but think how happy I am that no one here on the board has a "Death List" book -- otherwise we'd only have about three members after a day or two.

Man, the love here just soaks through you like "Analgeddon IV".

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

Man, the love here just soaks through you like "Analgeddon IV".

j.p.

Ok that is a funny quote.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    You can sometimes find it at cons. it is 3 DVD's with hours upon hours of BTS footage of Day of the Dead and Creepshow.

Someone sent me a set years ago, but they were new at burning DVD's and fucked them up.

You can find it if you look hard enough.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Well based on the evidence supported by video interviews and what he has said over the years the original reason for Dawn of the Dead was holding up in the mall... no mention of the consumerism thing until critics pointed it out.

So based on even the Frumkes stuff... I will go with the Commentary being an after thought or something he latched onto from critical reviews of the film.

I am not saying it is bad thing... And I am not trying to make him any less the master of the original zombie trilogy. I am just going by what I can find on interviews I have on DVD.
    Dude the film as released in 85 because of loss of footage, the segments where Romero talks of the subtext was shot when Dawn was being shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    How very Internet of you. Anything that disagrees with what YOU believe is made up in our heads. Have you stopped to notice how many pure opinions you are throwing out as fact as you insult other people for throwing out opinions?

For years after Dawn and Day came out I soaked up everything Romero. Every interview, every article, everything I could get my hands on. And I can tell you that in repeated interviews Romero blew off questions about social commentary in Dawn. I'm not going to expect you to take my word for it, you're way too arrogant for that. But stop suggesting that I'm willfully ignorant or stupid for believing what I heard and read myself. And stop being so naive as to believe that documentaries made years after the fact are accurate and complete to the events. You don't know everything.

I don't know what the real answer is. As I've said before I don't think the social commentary in Dawn is either purely intentional or unintentional. Romero said for years that Dawn was a "reflection of the times." And Deej is right on target when he says that Romero has stated that the primary reason for using the mall was that he thought it'd be a cool place to hole up against zombies. That was a recurring interview response.
    It is a fact that he made comments on the social commentary BEFORE the film was finished... So anyone buying off on it was a peewee herman lives in lala land. There is evidence that supports that... There is no logical way to dispute that... Even if George himself forgets that or contradicts this would not change the reality that on the record the commentary was intentional...

The only things in this statement that is not FACT are things like me saying the person lives in lala land... As with my other comments on this thread... The objective way to put such things goes like this.... Your argument has a a fundamental that is ignoring incontrovertible proof... There for it makes your argument void and one could infer your current thought process is based on faulty logic.

It's nice to say im throwing around opinions as fact but you have not used any examples... I will gladly answer any examples you have.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 11-Aug-2010 at 03:51 AM.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    Dude the film as released in 85 because of loss of footage, the segments where Romero talks of the subtext was shot when Dawn was being shot...

It is a fact that he made comments on the social commentary BEFORE the film was finished... So anyone buying off on it was a peewee herman lives in lala land. There is evidence that supports that... There is no logical way to dispute that... Even if George himself forgets that or contradicts this would not change the reality that on the record the commentary was intentional...

The only things in this statement that is not FACT are things like me saying the person lives in lala land... As with my other comments on this thread... The objective way to put such things goes like this.... Your argument has a a fundamental that is ignoring incontrovertible proof... There for it makes your argument void and one could infer your current thought process is based on faulty logic.

It's nice to say im throwing around opinions as fact but you have not used any examples... I will gladly answer any examples you have.

Coop where is the proof... Seriously, Romero didn't start doing the social commentary thinguntil press brought it up. With Night he admits they didn;t think about Duane Jones being the lead, nor did they associate it with any thing going on. Once critics started reviewing it and commenting on the parts they may have resembled current conditions... Romero has said that was not his intention but he could see what they were getting at.

So again, when George and Company made Night... social commentary wasn't nowhere near the forefront of the story... It became an after thought. Seriously trying to defend shit that doesn't exist or has been embellished because of years of interviews and what not is not changing the fact Romero admitted none of the stuff touched upon by others was their original intention when making the movie

You know talking to you is like talking to a brick fucking wall. How friggin thick are you man? Are you another dubs that wants ot be a knob slobber? seriously... you are totally out of your fucking mind if you think you're going to convince me that social commentary was in georges mind from the get go when many interviews he has been on record saying that was not the case, especially with DAWN.

DAWN was conceived because of a tour of the mall and how he thought it would be cool to hold up in. He references the CD boxes and what not and how you could rough it out there during any type of event... including zombies.

That was the sole thread or piece of fabric that brought DAWN to life.

Night was a bunch of friends kicking in a few bucks to make a horror movie... again something he has been on record saying. Nothing more nothing less.

If the social commentaries were really at the forefront of his writing then those films would have been as heavy handed as the newer three film. People don't suddenly change writing style unless something profound is brought up in regards to what they most likely unintentionally did. To be honest I don't even pick up on anything in DAWN until.... Fran says what have we done to ourselves... Any fucking writer with half a brain and going off the material things don't bring happiness could have written that... That moment in the film isn;t some profound statement of the 70's or consumerism. I am sure once people started talking about the comparisons he would agree with them... and maybe just figured to go with the flow.

Again not knocking the man but don't sit here and try and tell me this has been his thing all along. You don't go from making three great films to 3 shit films unless you start believing in some BS hype that doesn't work in your favor.

there is enough evidence to support where i am coming from on this. maybe you need to brush up on your Romero interviews.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 11-Aug-2010 at 04:17 AM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!