Thread: First Look at AMC's The Walking Dead Zombies as Production Begins

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oh, dude. Not the animal eating thing.
    I think you may be disappointed then...

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Darth - But the horse gets munched in the source material, so ... nerrrrr...
    @ nerrrr
    Kill 'em All

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think you may be disappointed then...

Imo, when they just want to eat humans it's like they have a vendetta against us and it's that much scarier.

When they eat animals too and run across a human it's like "oh, i guess this will do."

Not as scary.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Ireland
    Agree that the animal eating thing is a bit of a disappointing move by Kirkman. I'd imagine that the dead would be really easy to "farm" if they fed on living creatures, other than humans. All you would have to do is keep them supplied with a steady flow of animal meat and control a local area. That'll keep them occupied while you thin out their numbers gradually.

I just cannot believe totally in a zombie apocalypse when there are other food sources involved. It's much better when they only want to feed on human flesh.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I just cannot believe totally in a zombie apocalypse when there are other food sources involved. It's much better when they only want to feed on human flesh.
    I always figured if it's meat, and it's moving, it's dinner to a Zed.

After all:

Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Oh, dude. Not the animal eating thing.

The dude who's piloting this thing has to be a GAr fan and i can't imagine anyone outside Ga'rs inner circle thinks that's a cool idea.

Zack Snyder didn't even have his zombies eating animals!

I mean, c'mon.

It is in the source material. . .and really it's in the ORIGINAL source material (NOTLD-bug eating zombie.) So I really have no problem with it. But there are no zombie animals running around.

Come to think of it though. . .I don't think I have seen any animals besides that horse in the comics. . . .were there even any animals on Hershel's farm? Birds in the air? Wild dogs? I'm gonna have to take another peek and see.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post

Love that game.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm okay with them eating animals so long as it's not eating ONLY animals. Training them to "eat chicken" as Howard Sherman jokes is a horrible idea.

Other than that....it seems to me that these things would eat any kind of meat put in front of them. Especially something as plump as a horse.

Besides....that part of the book is amazing, as i'm sure the scene will be. And bugs were eaten in Night....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Agree that the animal eating thing is a bit of a disappointing move by Kirkman. I'd imagine that the dead would be really easy to "farm" if they fed on living creatures, other than humans. All you would have to do is keep them supplied with a steady flow of animal meat and control a local area. That'll keep them occupied while you thin out their numbers gradually.
    On what scale are you talking about? Such an endeavor sounds excessively labor and materiel intensive, especially if the undead have already had a major impact on infrastructure.

A steady flow of animal meat in a world majorly impacted by zombies is going to be hard to come by and maintain unless the circumstances are just right and even then it would probably only be an operation that could be localized on a small scale.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    On what scale are you talking about? Such an endeavor sounds excessively labor and materiel intensive, especially if the undead have already had a major impact on infrastructure.

A steady flow of animal meat in a world majorly impacted by zombies is going to be hard to come by and maintain unless the circumstances are just right and even then it would probably only be an operation that could be localized on a small scale.
    It would be easier to blow the piss out of them.

I'm okay with them eating animals so long as it's not eating ONLY animals. Training them to "eat chicken" as Howard Sherman jokes is a horrible idea.

Other than that....it seems to me that these things would eat any kind of meat put in front of them. Especially something as plump as a horse.

Besides....that part of the book is amazing, as i'm sure the scene will be. And bugs were eaten in Night....
    Zombies also jogged in night. Shall we implement that too?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Zombies also jogged in night. Shall we implement that too?
    Uhhh....they did. Have you read this thread?

Super Moderator

United States
    It would be easier to blow the piss out of them.
    Just read a book wherein elements of the navy had lured zeds to sections of the coast (zombies in this book were very attuned to noise--so fog horns and noise devices worked wonders) and pounded the shit out of them for days on end with ordinance, which was a great idea, but only to an extent. Even then, you have to wonder how feasible a large scale clearing operations would be in a US where the infection rate was somewhere in the 90%+ range by the time such tactics were brought to bare. Small/tactical scale, say to clear out a given area, which is otherwise remote, for resource harvesting, is fine and may work, but I think a lot of grandiose plans would have grandiose price tags in terms of materiel, lost men and/or inherent risks to surviving civilians.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 20-Aug-2010 at 03:19 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Uhhh....they did. Have you read this thread?
    I'm actually reading it here and there trying to avoid spoilers.

But now that you've told me that, another bad idea for this type of series, imo.

But I'm a fan of running zombies too so maybe they can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Just read a book wherein elements of the navy had lured zeds to sections of the coast (zombies in this book were very attenuated to noise--so fog horns and noise devices worked wonders) and pounded the shit out of them for days on end with ordinance, which was a great idea, but only to an extent. Even then, you have to wonder how feasible a large scale clearing operations would be in a US where the infection rate was somewhere in the 90%+ range. Small/tactical scale, say to clear out a given area, which is otherwise remote, for resource harvesting, is fine and may work, but grand plans I think probably call for less methodical and more practical solutions.

Anyway, my point is, I think a lot of grandiose plans would have grandiose price tags in terms of materiel, lost men and/or inherent risks to surviving civilians.
    That's interesting. Which gets me to thinking that at what point would a gov't who posseses nukes use them?

As you said, with 90% of the population either dead or turned, I highly doubt that a gov't would allow itself to be wiped out without using every tool at it's disposal.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm actually reading it here and there trying to avoid spoilers.
    Darabont and crew have been saying that Night is the bible when it comes to this series. You won't see any running zombies like Dawn04, but you will see a fast paced walk like the cemetary zombie in Night. I believe it was referred to as the Hinzman Hobble...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Darabont and crew have been saying that Night is the bible when it comes to this series. You won't see any running zombies like Dawn04, but you will see a fast paced walk like the cemetary zombie in Night. I believe it was referred to as the Hinzman Hobble...
    That's actually a cool fucking name for it!

Like the Fosberry flop.

Hopefully they're not too fast though.

Imo, shamblers allow multitude of other topics to be covered and usually in GArs case, the human condition.

If you notice with runners it's all about the action and most times there's little to no plot/character development.