Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: GTA IV Excitement Thread (nee Anticipation)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post

im really wondering why it was given 10/10 everywhere, its great but there are some really big faults that needed fixing before release, all faulty freezing copies aside, that would have at least lowered it to a 9.
    A 10/10 doesn't mean the game is perfect, no game is. But if you can show me a game that combines the scale, graphics, story, detailed world and replay value of GTA IV, I'll be shocked.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    When you say "clear the cache"...

1) What does that mean?
    2) What does that do?
    3) How do you do it?

It doesn't delete save games or your profile with all your points or any such sh*t does it?
    It means it clears the cache... like when you defrag your computer. It gets rid of tons of extra stuff to speed up your system. It gets rid of every update for all of your games, but they only take like 3 seconds to re-download anyway (but you don't have LIVE so that doesn't matter).

To clear your cache, go to your dashboard and go to your system stuff. Highlight your harddrive (memory card in your case) and press Y. Then press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X. Once you do this a messsage will appear saying "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"

Bully ran ridiculously choppy/laggy until I did this, then it was smooth as a babies butt.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    smooth as a babies butt.
    Pedo.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    A 10/10 doesn't mean the game is perfect, no game is. But if you can show me a game that combines the scale, graphics, story, detailed world and replay value of GTA IV, I'll be shocked.
    final fantasy 12 and bioshock spring to mind.

in fact i realised today i was playing gta for the sake of it adn ive gotten pretty bored so ive gone over to bioshock and started a hard game on that for now, i think ill trade it in towards my wii, i was thinking about it but now i reckon i will.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Pedo.
    lol - you stole my joke ... get out of my mind! You're moving all my stuff about!

Mike - cheers for the info Sir.

Also, I have two memory cards, does that make a difference? Do I only do the one with my GTA saves on it, or do I do both?

Another day yesterday where I didn't play it ... mind you, I was out filming most of the day, then came back and spent the rest of the day by starting to go through the extra features for all 8 series of Red Dwarf ... currently on series 4.

Still a groovy game mind you, but you know how when you have too much of that well lush ice cream, you need to take smaller bites now and then, or take a day off...aye.

I still get all grinny though when the advert comes on the TV.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I've been playing the racing missions, because the shooting ones are dire. Although I've got to the third island now and am about 50/60% into it. I still think it's totally flawed, buggy and clunky. There's still hardly anything decent to do, I am in no way enjoying it as much as I did the original GTA3, the gfx are amazing and there's some great little nuances in there, but overall, it feels like a cut down version of all the previous games, and Saints Row. Totally unimpressed.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I've been playing the racing missions, because the shooting ones are dire. Although I've got to the third island now and am about 50/60% into it. I still think it's totally flawed, buggy and clunky. There's still hardly anything decent to do, I am in no way enjoying it as much as I did the original GTA3, the gfx are amazing and there's some great little nuances in there, but overall, it feels like a cut down version of all the previous games, and Saints Row. Totally unimpressed.
    Ahhhh quit your whining.

Mike - again, cheers for the tip, I used it last night and performance has increased again to how it was when I first started playing it.

Mind you, had a weird little bug in the game, I too had a car disappear from my save spot outside my Aldernay safe house - at least it wasn't the Mustang, but was just some wallowy old hecter of a 4x4 ... very odd. Also, one save game (just after doing "Buoys Ahoy") is weird, you load it but then have to reload it to get it up-to-date on where you actually saved it.

BC gives you a car, and I went and got it, then saved - however, load that save, and the care isn't there and I'm several grand backwards in my bank and the BC icon (for where the car is) is on the map ... then reload the exact same save and it's where it's supposed to be. I assume it's a glitch because while you've completed BC's missions, you still have to get that car to get his initials off the map.

Very odd, I'm onto a new save game anyway, did an awesome mission called "undertaker"...

You get a choice on who to kill - Francis or Derrick McCreary - I initially chose Derrick, but felt bad about it as Francis is a douche, so I went back and killed Francis - that means you can get 100% completion of Francis' missions, because the final Francis mission - is his funeral - you put on a suit, go to the church in Algonquin, attend the service, then when you come out you get into a massive ruck with some Albanians, a great big fire fight. Then you barge it into the hearse with the coffin, you get chased a bit (the door falls off) and you have to take it easy so the body doesn't fall out.

Then you see Francis' grave and everybody standing around, talk to Kate and such.

Good mission that.

Oh and their version of the Subaru Impreza is awesome, such a fun car to drive!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Ahhhh quit your whining.
    Ha...so your cars have gone AWOL as well!!!

I'll shut up now and stop bitching about this overhyped ****ing travesty of a game...hehehe

Super Moderator

United States
    The controls are still a bit iffy, but they are far more refined and easy to use--for me--than any previous installment in the franchise.

I do agree that for an area so large there is not as much to do as one might hope, though. Now, don't get me wrong--there's still tons to do (storyline missions, missions for random NPCs, police missions, car theft missions, dating, inside games), but there feels like there's a dimension missing to the game sometimes. It's almost as though the creators were so close to pulling something off and just needed a little more nuance or needed to push that extra mile for not just more content, but a different type of content.

I still really like the game, though and am having a ball with it.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 17-May-2008 at 02:18 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    The shooting controls are a bit off. Far from perfect. But better than other GTA games.

Super Moderator

UK
    X - I had one crap car go missing, calm down.

Currently 66.21% through now.

The controls I'm far more used to now, even the combat ones. I think some of the first missions aren't as polished combat wise (e.g. shooting open a door, then it swings shut again rather annoyingly - I now shoot them again if that happens, or coming out of a cut scene and straight into a hail of gunfire instead of being in cover when out of the cut scene - something which happens on 99.9% of all other such missions though).

I find that occasionally getting into cover can be a bit fiddly at times, half down to me, half down to the game. Like somethings on pillars or whatever.

As for shooting, I find it pretty darn nice, especially taking headshots which I invariably do just to use less ammo and thin the baddies out quickly ... plus you get the pop of brain matter.

The assassin missions are fun too, I can kinda understand what some people are saying about 'huge city, little bit more content please' ... I can kinda understand that, but I've certainly never been wanting of something to do in the game at all since I got it, but I kinda get it ... so many buildings, not necessarily a huge variety of things to do within them...

Awesome game still, gonna take it over to a mate's gaff tonight for a gaming sesh, he wants to try it out and has been pestering me to do so for a couple of weeks now, hehe.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    X - I had one crap car go missing, calm down.
    You won't be saying that when you lose two corquettes and an infernus, a banshee, and a motorbike.... grr...

Gotta say though, the driving is so ridiculously spot on it's impossible to mention the game without giving a nod to some of the most spectacular single and multiplayer races around...

although I had shot to first place on a bike and as I was lapping someone they had stole a jeep or something and were plowing through people head-on and the guy knocked me so far across the map, annoying...but I had to admit, pretty funny...

England
    Im now on my second time around with this and its amazing how much easier it is. I've failed 1 mission and I'm 32% through after 6 hours and yes my newly won Porsche has just disappeared from outside the 2nd safehouse. Damn annoying but it certainly doesn't break the game. Combat is 2nd nature now - free aim makes so much difference if you remember to use it.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I think it was X who was going on about not being able to rob stores or something ... well I just walked into a laundromat, went to the till, pressed LB to open it and took some cash, walked out and then got 1 star cop rating on me, so I booked outta there and did the last Jimmy mission.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it was X who was going on about not being able to rob stores or something ... well I just walked into a laundromat, went to the till, pressed LB to open it and took some cash, walked out and then got 1 star cop rating on me, so I booked outta there and did the last Jimmy mission.
    Yeah, I keep reading all over the place people complaining about not being able to rob stores, yet I have robbed quite a few.