Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: First Look at AMC's The Walking Dead Zombies as Production Begins

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I believe his point is that fans of the comic can watch the series in B&W on dvd. You asked why they would like it in B&W, and he answered that the comic was in fact in B&W.

And you're also correct. It would be a mistake to film the series in B&W. This is why they filmed it in color and add the B&W edit as a special feature. Just a little treat for the fans.

I'm not a huge fan of the comics, but if the B&W edit is anything like The Mist, I think it will help spread the creepy on extra thick.
    I understand that the offer to have the show in B+W is for fans to watch as a special feature, Bass. but, I just don't understand the love in for B+W. Don't get me wrong, I like B+W films, but it's in no way superior to well shot colour film imo.

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    No, that's entirely incorrect, Kirkman made the choice from an artistic standpoint, not a monetary one to attribute a classic horror feel to his work.
    Most graphic novels are done with monochrome artwork, because of monetary considerations.

It silly to suggest otherwise.

Kirkman may say that he wanted to go with B+W all the time, because of a 'Night of the living Dead' feel. Ok, I can buy that. But, ignoring the financial factor is sticking one's head in the sand.

If 'The walking Dead' was produced in full colour, it would take longer to produce, need more people and cost more.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I understand that the offer to have the show in B+W is for fans to watch as a special feature, Bass. but, I just don't understand the love in for B+W. Don't get me wrong, I like B+W films, but it's in no way superior to well shot colour film imo.

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

Most graphic novels are done with monochrome artwork, because of monetary considerations.

It silly to suggest otherwise.

Kirkman may say that he wanted to go with B+W all the time, because of a 'Night of the living Dead' feel. Ok, I can buy that. But, ignoring the financial factor is sticking one's head in the sand.

If 'The walking Dead' was produced in full colour, it would take longer to produce, need more people and cost more.
    TWD was not designed as a one shot or a typical graphic novel... In fact the collections are tpb's or collections not graphic novels... B&W is in fact was a stylized choice for the series.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How is it sticking heads in the sand? Lets say I was looking at two cars. Car A is a nice looking car, but i'm not a fan of the color and it's a bit pricey. Car B is EXACTLY what I want and just so happens to be cheaper. The fact that the car is cheaper is just an added bonus. I still wanted Car B from the start...

United States
    Also, the comic and trades are printed on rather high quality stock... If all they were worried about was the price they would have gone with an old school newsprint stock that would have saved them a great deal.

The comic being in black and white had nothing to do with price, it was almost completely a style choice. And it works extremely well!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I love the old man and all but from what I've seen this could become the new gold standard of zombiedom.

If that happens GAr only has himself to blame.

It's like Naismith inventing basketball, but who gives a shit right?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Ireland
    How is it sticking heads in the sand? Lets say I was looking at two cars. Car A is a nice looking car, but i'm not a fan of the color and it's a bit pricey. Car B is EXACTLY what I want and just so happens to be cheaper. The fact that the car is cheaper is just an added bonus. I still wanted Car B from the start...
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsyfn View Post
    Also, the comic and trades are printed on rather high quality stock... If all they were worried about was the price they would have gone with an old school newsprint stock that would have saved them a great deal.

The comic being in black and white had nothing to do with price, it was almost completely a style choice. And it works extremely well!
    I've been around the block enough times to know that often when an "artist" says they did something for stylistic reasons, they really mean financial. Not saying the Kirkman is doing this here, but I remain naturally sceptical I spose. I've no reason to believe that he's being dishonest here, but I heard it used before. The simple fact remains that it costs more to produce colour artwork than it does to leave it in B+W. It's also more work for the artist doing the inital monochrome drawings as they have to produce the work with the fact in mind that a colouring artist will be involved at a later stage. Even if it's him/her and assuming it wasn't all done at once, which is rare.

Also, nobody prints on newsprint these days, except for newspapers.

I don't think I've seen a comic or a graphic novel on newsprint since 2000AD in the 80's.

Anyway...we're really getting off the subject now.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 27-Aug-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Whenever someone says it's not about the money, it's about one thing:

THE MONEY.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So are the comics still in B&W? Let's say they did go with B&W as a way to cut back on cost. At the beginning they didn't know if the series would be a hit or miss, so it would've been a smarter move. But now that the series is obviously a hit....is it still B&W? If they wanted color, they probably would have switched to color now that the sales are there....

Ireland
    Changing a winning formula mid stream is never a good idea.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Changing a winning formula mid stream is never a good idea.
    Comics, movie series, and even TV shows went from B&W to color all the time with no issue. Still do, I believe.

But now you're calling it a winning formula. Which one is it? You think it was money or artistic?!?

Ireland

United States
    This worries me a bit. . . .I just read this on IMDB.com
    Trivia: In creating the look and feel of the show, Frank Darabont says he was inspired by the films of George Romero. But unlike Romero's living dead, the TV show's zombies will be able to run.
    http://www.imdb.com/features/fall_tv...ws/walkingdead I'm sure it's nothing. . and what we have heard about the zeds movements being based on NOTLD is closer to the truth. But still. . I hate reading that.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hinzman Hobble.

You're behind.

That is all.

United States
    Hinzman Hobble.

You're behind.

That is all.
    I'm not behind. . . hopefully the article is. I knew that they are basing the movement on the Cemetary zombie. . .It's just that this article is kinda new, look at the link.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    This worries me a bit. . . .I just read this on IMDB.com http://www.imdb.com/features/fall_tv...ws/walkingdead I'm sure it's nothing. . and what we have heard about the zeds movements being based on NOTLD is closer to the truth. But still. . I hate reading that.
    eh, to be honest i think the scandalized "RUNNING zombies!?!?!11?!!?oneone!!" thing is kinda run its course. They need to alter a few things as it switches medium and to be honest, its a running tv series about the kind of story we have spent decades going "dude, imagine if they made a show like this!" now they are i can't really be bothered to give two shits if they run or shamble. Either way its gonna air and im gonna watch it.