Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption (incl. new Zombie DLC)

Undisclosed
    Does this mean I can shoot and skin a bigfoot?

England
    That trailer looks awesome! for one time only im jealous I dont have a console, hope it comes to PC one day with lots of lovely anti-aliasing

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Does this mean I can shoot and skin a bigfoot?
    I believe that's the case. Yes.

I think there are werewolves too.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hrm. It's strange....but that trailer is totally unappealing to me. I may have just lost all interest in this....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Hrm. It's strange....but that trailer is totally unappealing to me. I may have just lost all interest in this....
    So hellsing now has interest in RDR, and bassman has lost interest in RDR?! Hellsing's a boner-for-RDR theif!

I think it's more of a trailer to show people a bunch of the shit that you can see and do and interact with throughout the game, rather than a trailer to get you really riled up like "FUCK YEAH BRO!" or whatever you fancy.

Prof - it should be something like £25 ($39.61) on disc in the UK, and for a 12 hour game that's not bad. Everything is more expensive in the UK anyway. Modern Warfare 2 for instance ... a five hour game ... I bought it for £40 ($63.37), but mid-way through the pre-order process they upped the price to £45 ($71.30) (good thing most places have pre-order price guarantees), and that's now the standard CoD price for the standard edition.

So £25 for a 12 hour game is pretty good, especially as I'll play it more than once. Good to see John back too.

United States
    i'm pretty stoked about it, just gotta wait till i get back to my apartment with my copy on halloween night...but i'll be having a zombie-film fest with my buddies while we wait for the walking dead to premiere, then i've got a big test the next day, so i'm not gonna be able to dig into it till after nov 1st...

very cool to see bigfoot in there, that was always a rumor for the console versions of san andreas and something my buddies and i would joke around about on our XBL hunting expedition in RDR multiplayer. looking forward to finding and killing that elusive son-of-a-bitch. i hope it's not like the buffalo in the main game, though, were it's gone after you kill it and never respawns.

and i'd say that the price isn't too bad, even if you gotta buy the disc. your mentioning of MW2 and what it cost vs the length of the single-player game puts that into perspective....by the way, you're not gonna buy black ops, are ya? activision is getting all the mileage they can out of that engine...nothing's changed except the skins for the last 4 games...probably gonna be a lame-ass, plot-holed, weaksauce, 6-hour campaign full of those "BLAM>>>>>>>>*ringing ears* *someone grabs you up off the deck* "GET UP, SOLDIER, WE GOTTA GO!!!!!!!!!!!" i swear, they work that stupid repetitive bullshit sequence into every CoD game, and it just reminds me of how much of an unoriginal, uninspired, copy-and-paste-y, shitty series that CoD has become. FUCK THAT NOISE.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 26-Oct-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Call of Duty fucking sucks

Super Moderator

UK
    I will play CoD: Black Ops at some point, but not until it's cheaper, and I'm especially not paying £45 for it - that extra fiver really is a piss take.

CoD has gotten too big for it's britches, and it's like this leviathon of a franchise that isn't particularly stretching itself. However the engine really has been updated a fair amount in recent years. COD4 was a new engine and at the time looked great, then COD:WAW added some lovely effects into the mix (great sequences in the rain for example, and lovely fire effects), then COD:MW2 went all-out with the lush looks, like when DC is being attacked and it's pissing it down with rain.

Graphics aren't a reason to buy a game though, but the engine has been spiffed up in recent years, but COD:BO doesn't look any different from MW2 from videos I've seen. In fact it looks disappointingly similar, although considering most of the footage that's been put out has been friggin' Multiplayer, then that's no surprise. Speaking of which there's an ad for the game in this month's Total Film - and every single picture and selling point on the two-page spread has nothing, nada, not one iota to do with single player. It's all focussed on the MP. Now that too is a real piss take.

I still enjoy CoD games, but they are fast food nowadays compared to their solid dinner meal that they used to be before they became too-big-of-a-franchise. MW2 was really the point where it became too big for its own good, to be honest. I still enjoy that game (and have played its short-arse campaign through four times to get myself to just shy of 20 hours of play time ), but to me COD:MW was the perfect CoD game. When that came out there wasn't some huge amount of expectation and hype and there wasn't a big sense of the franchise juggernaut either, and it was breaking (generally) new ground with the modern spin when everyone else was pretty much still doing WW2 ... so when it was released it was fucking immense.

MW2 though really suffered from the juggernaut effect of the franchise. The two previous games had been insanely successful and well, we all know the rest.

I still enjoy a CoD game, like I've said, but they really do need to try new things - and provide a better single player campaign - it'll be interesting to see what the verdict on Black Ops is (although with the review mafia we all know it's going to get 9 and 10 out of 10 ... it'll be interesting to see if any real concerns are brought up elsewhere from level-minded reviewers).

So I'm not some CoD super-fan as I see the problems with the franchise clearly, but nor am I a hater either. I'm in the middle, yo.

Properly off-topic that, so back to RDR:UN - that looks schweeeeeeeet.

Administrator

England
    Not sure if this is a new trailer or not?

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/76261/Xbo...Launch-Trailer
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Zombie bigfoot. Hey, I noticed no released date outside of the U.S.. No one else getting it?

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Btw, I am downloading now, but will not play it, until later.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I downloaded the undead nightmare pack before i went off to work and so did my son. I'm not a huge fan of what the other dlc's had in their packages but they were basically giving me 2400 points worth of stuff for 1600 p, so i figured what the hell.

It also pushed me over the threshold of spending 2400 points for the month in order to get an 800 point rebate at the end of november. So in reality it cost me 800 points. Good deal if ya ask me.

I actually let him stay home from school today to play it. The lad was so excited he couldn't even sleep last night. lol I try to be a cool dad whenever possible.

But I'm stoked about this as well and will definitely try it when I get home.

Last edited by darth los; 26-Oct-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I actually let him stay home from school today to play it. The lad was so excited he couldn't even sleep last night. lol I try to be a cool dad whenever possible.
    Not entirely sure that counts as "cool"?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not entirely sure that counts as "cool"?
    Well, the beautiful thing about being a parent is that you can do whatever you want in terms of raising them. If you wanna be strict that's your right, if you want to be lax you can do that as well.

I know i would have killed for my dad to let me do something like that. So why not? They have entirely to many school hours anyway and by the education dept. estimate the scools aren't doing shit anyway. He probably can learn more life lessons from RDR. I'm serious.

One day isn't going to hurt anything, imo.

Super Moderator

United States
    My concern with this DLC is that the shaky (by this I mean not all-together sound, precise or reactive) movement and aiming mechanics in the game will not work well for mobs that cover a distance and charge you quickly (runners, let's say).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Well, the beautiful thing about being a parent is that you can do whatever you want in terms of raising them. If you wanna be strict that's your right, if you want to be lax you can do that as well.

I know i would have killed for my dad to let me do something like that. So why not? They have entirely to many school hours anyway and by the education dept. estimate the scools aren't doing shit anyway. He probably can learn more life lessons from RDR. I'm serious.

One day isn't going to hurt anything, imo.

Guess so... Just as long as he doesn't expect it to be become the norm each time a game is released
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    My concern with this DLC is that the shaky (by this I mean not all-together sound, precise or reactive) movement and aiming mechanics in the game will not work well for mobs that cover a distance and charge you quickly (runners, let's say).
    An interesting concern, I hadn't thought of that.

Which reminds me, without a date for the on-disc release, perhaps they're waiting to try it out online and find any major bugs and problems (although they should know already by now, you'd think) and then patch it up and improve it before putting it on-disc.

RDR was a ruddy good game, but it did have several bugs/glitches that, while not game breaking, were very obvious and pulled your mind out of believing in the game on certain occasions, you know.