Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: So which Night film is canon to George's series, original or remake?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Now we were not talking about something that had to be compared between two or more of Romero's zombie movies, but only of a time-frame within Day itself. It is perfectly possible to deduce from what we are shown in that movie that those guys have been in that bunker for quite a while. Whether you consider Day to be a "stand-alone" movie or not, makes no difference for this. Rounding up that huge bunch of unruly zombies and taking them down the caves must have taken quite an amount of time and effort to pull off. Just look at all the trouble that handling just a couple of them at a time gives them, and that in a more confined area where they can handle them more easily. Now imagine having to go to the surface, where these freaks are roaming free at their leisure, and in who-knows how large a group you might encounter them, and then having to capture them and transport them to the underground caves. Certainly a dangerous and difficult thing to pull off.
    Ummm...forgive me, but I’m a little confused here. Is there a question or have I previously said something that suggested I didnt think the characters in Day had been in the bunker for a good period of time? I’ve looked over the post several times, but I must be missing something?

Otherwise, I agree that it’s shown they’ve been down there for a good period of time.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Ummm...forgive me, but I’m a little confused here. Is there a question or have I previously said something that suggested I didnt think the characters in Day had been in the bunker for a good period of time? I’ve looked over the post several times, but I must be missing something?

Otherwise, I agree that it’s shown they’ve been down there for a good period of time.
    You were questioning Philly_SWAT's post regarding the exploration topic in Day, which is related to the question of how long they have been there. So just for clarification's sake, I thought it was needed to further address that other things in the movie do confirm that those people must have spent quite a while in the bunker. But since you agree, no problem, then.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don’t think I’ve seen anyone question whether or not the soldiers and scientists in Day are shown to have been in the bunker for a while? That’s one thing that’s shown pretty well within the film itself. Excluding Land from the series altogether, Day is pretty clearly shown to have been further into the phenomenon than Night and Dawn. But if you’re saying that somehow suggests it takes place further into the phenomenon than the events in Land, that’s kinda up in the air.

United States
    I must’ve missed that...

Orrrrr.....you edited it in!

I have had to edit many posts that I have made in the past, primarily due to a stupid typo or horrible grammar that I noticed after posting.

Lucky for me, the post in question clearly shows that it was not edited!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I have had to edit many posts that I have made in the past, primarily due to a stupid typo or horrible grammar that I noticed after posting.

Lucky for me, the post in question clearly shows that it was not edited!
    I was joking, dude. I thought the seventeen smilies kinda gave that away....

United States
    I was joking, dude. I thought the seventeen smilies kinda gave that away....
    I was acknowledging the joke (and my own typing woes), dude. I thought the smiley face wearing glasses kinda gave that away...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was acknowledging the joke (and my own typing woes), dude. I thought the smiley face wearing glasses kinda gave that away...

You edited and added the smiley with glasses!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Absolutely agree with this.

To Minion, your assessment that 'most people' are of the opinion that Land is before Day is nonsensical...
    It is more than likely true that most people feel Day comes before Land, but firstly that doesnt mean its true, and secondly, most people havent given the topic much, if any,thought at all, and would just think that films in a particular series of films would naturally follow a chronological order, which they normally do. However, all you would have to do would be to tell them to think of the Star Wars series to illustrate that it is not unique in the film world for films to be released with the stories of each film, while being set in the same universe, not being released in chronological order. NO ONE seriously thinks Day was before Night, some people do think Land is before Day, so the one does not hold a mirror to the other.

To EvilNed, to also be clear, I don't think the argument that Day takes place prior to Land is absurd (I just don't agree with it on any level). Unlike others, I have never claimed, either seriously or sarcastically, that it is absurd, only that I disagree and make arguments as to why I feel that way. Perhaps there is some level of "mental gymnastics" on either side of the argument, but that is up to the reader to decide on their own. Part if the reason for this is Romero's lack of attention to minute details, which is part of what leads to the fun of discussion.

And to continue the discussion, since you specifically brought it up, the people in Day had a mission, and that mission did not include 'exploring' or 'looking for survivors'. Their mission was very specific...try to find a scientific explanation as to what the hell was happening and find a way to stop/cure/curtail the zombie problem. In an effort to do this, they had a scientific team (obviously needed), soldiers (naturally a good idea) to assist the mission and to provide protection, a pilot for transportation (the topside scenes were filmed on an island, although the film does not specifically mention this, but whether on an island or not, a chopper would be a good mode of transport, especially in bugging out quick), and a communications expert. So much in the film says to me they have been here a long time. "WE used to talk to Washington all the time". In normal conversation, no one uses this phrase to denote you are talking about a short period of time. If we have been in a bunker for 3 weeks, talked to Washington the first two weeks but not the third, we wouldnt say we used to "all the time". Common understanding of the English language says the idea is we for a long time we used to talk to them, but now after a significant amount of time has passed, we havent. To round up all those zombies and put collars on them would be dangerous and take a long time. The soldiers are now not wanting to do that anymore. After only a few months, trained military personnel dont want to help a project where literally the survival of the human race is at stake? Seems like (I would HOPE SO anyway) a long time would have to pass before the military would feel this way. If it were close to the start of the outbreak, wouldnt they think/hope that things will eventually work out? Would they openly cultivate marijuana plants, not hidden away, but right at the chopper landing area, where any superior that might show up any minute would easily see them? After years perhaps, sure, but right after the outbreak started? Seems unlikely to me. I took it that they were looking for survivors, not as part of their mission, and not something they had been doing at all for the time they had been there, but only recently, because they had not talked to their superiors in Washington for quite some time, and were fearful that perhaps most everyone on earth was dead, and were looking for evidence about that one way or the other. In Land, people are abundant, and going to clubs, gambling, eating at hot dogs carts in the streets, in Day, there is no people anywhere (or at least for 150 miles in each direction). To me, this illustrates that much more time has passed in Day than in Land, regardless of any timestamps given in dialogue.

The above paragraph is just some of my assessments of the timeline in the two films. An intelligent, reasonable person may disagree with my conclusions, but I dont feel it would be accurate to dismiss everything I said as 'grasping at straws' or any other insult. They are all logical, make sense, and are in support of my overall argument, which may or not be accurate.
    tl;dr

Super Moderator

UK

Jesus tap dancing Christ...

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    tl;dr

United States
    tl;dr
    Trump feels the same way about the daily security brief, so you are in good ?? company...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Trump feels the same way about the daily security brief, so you are in good ?? company...
    We’re discussing anal details in works of popular horror fiction. I wouldn’t put this on the same level of importance as the Security briefings of the President of the United States of America. Would you?

United States
    We’re discussing anal details in works of popular horror fiction. I wouldn’t put this on the same level of importance as the Security briefings of the President of the United States of America. Would you?
    Hardly. I didnt think there was a need to state that. I would say to you what Trump himself said today on an unrelated topic "You don't understand sarcasm."

A part of me is always happy when this discussion resurfaces because it reminds me of the old days when we used to discuss Romero films more in depth than we do now.
    tl;dr
    Some might call it hypocritical to reminisce about discussion, then a few posts later appear to regret same, but not me. To be fair, you never said it made you happy enough to merit participation again.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Hardly. I didnt think there was a need to state that. I would say to you what Trump himself said today on an unrelated topic "You don't understand sarcasm."
    That's some bad sarcasm, Harry.

United States
    That's some bad sarcasm, Harry.
    That's a clever witticism, Henry.