Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Gary Streiner HPOTD Member!

Norway
    Awesome to see people from the real movie here! Cool story too, its interesting to hear.
    If I can ask you a question, I would like to know your thoughts on how it is to have been part of creating a movie that means so incredibly much to people from all over the world. Take care and thanks.

And you might want to tell the Dames of the dead that its not possible to comment on their blog.
    Last edited by Trencher; 07-Apr-2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    That was a very cool story indeed Gary. And I second Trencher's question!!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Hehe, very cool. I'll do a read through of what they've put on there and register to comment and show some support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    That was a very cool story indeed Gary. And I second Trencher's question!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    Awesome to see people from the real movie here! Cool story too, its interesting to hear.
    If I can ask you a question, I would like to know your thoughts on how it is to have been part of creating a movie that means so incredibly much to people from all over the world. Take care and thanks.

And you might want to tell the Dames of the dead that its not possible to comment on their blog.
    This is a really hard question to answer but I’ll do my best. You have to understand I was 15 at the time this all started, 17 when we were shooting Night, so the whole thing was a bit surreal to begin with. The fact that I was working on a motion picture hadn’t really set in let alone did I have any idea it would become a Cult Classic. I didn’t even know what that term meant at that point and I think I could say that for the rest of the guys. We were very serious about shooting this film and at my young age I was very dedicated to the group and wanted to be as much help as I could be to the project. I wasn’t into second guessing the creative aspects of the film that was the older guy’s domain. I was primarily a worker bee along with guys like Vince Survinski. Not to say there was that great of a division I mean everyone worked but it was a small group that dealt with the story if you will. I was working with my buddies we were having fun. I think that was when I learned I wanted to be doing things rather than just talking about them. That was primarily why I was at the Latent Image in the first place. These guys were older and they were doing thing as opposed to my friends who were really just talking about them. I was really proud to be doing something other than working in the mill. Pittsburgh was still a big steel town at that point and that's where lots of people ended up. The closest film making was done in New York over 400 miles away. Film wasn’t totally magic to me because of the commercial work The Latent Image had been doing. We were a fairly well oiled unit by the time we got to Night having shot many TV commercials and other long form projects. There was lots of doubt as to whether Night would ever find a distributor and ultimately the public but Walter Reade came through with a deal and it would be up to the people to decide. The time between making the film and getting it in front of the public was a very up and down period to say the least. Even after its release it sure didn’t soar to the top of the charts. If it had been released in modern times it would probably never made it because it would have been gone before people found it. So now we are a year or so into it and still no Real success. I certainly wondered whether I would ever get my 600 bucks back! Then word of mouth started to take over and people kept coming to the theater and as best I can remember it was the Readers Digest article that put it over the top. People said they would forgive the grainy black and white look because it flat out scared them. It felt great to know it was working on the level it was designed. I remember the Image Ten getting letters from people in Europe saying they had seen it 11 times and love it. It was playing in Art Theaters over there and that’s when I started feeling a pride of accomplishment. That went on for some time before I realized I hadn’t made much more than my 600 bucks back so from an economic stand point it wasn’t all that rewarding and at my young age never felt it hadn’t reached the Classic Status it has today. I guess it took a lifetime of complements and comparisons, even up to the point of your question to make me understand how proud I am to have been a part of it. I have been all over the world and when people find out I was involved with Night they know about the film and can talk about it. Certainty coming back to Evans City and starting the festival has given me the biggest boost of pride. I have never been closer to the fans that made it the Classic it is and that’s a real rush for me. I am constantly amazed how it bridged generations to be just as popular with 20 year olds as it was for my generation in the late 60” and early 70’s. In many ways Night of the Living Dead is the American Dream and I’m living it. I would be ungrateful not be proud.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    This is a really hard question to answer but I’ll do my best. You have to understand I was 15 at the time this all started, 17 when we were shooting Night, so the whole thing was a bit surreal to begin with. The fact that I was working on a motion picture hadn’t really set in let alone did I have any idea it would become a Cult Classic. I didn’t even know what that term meant at that point and I think I could say that for the rest of the guys. We were very serious about shooting this film and at my young age I was very dedicated to the group and wanted to be as much help as I could be to the project. I wasn’t into second guessing the creative aspects of the film that was the older guy’s domain. I was primarily a worker bee along with guys like Vince Survinski. Not to say there was that great of a division I mean everyone worked but it was a small group that dealt with the story if you will. I was working with my buddies we were having fun. I think that was when I learned I wanted to be doing things rather than just talking about them. That was primarily why I was at the Latent Image in the first place. These guys were older and they were doing thing as opposed to my friends who were really just talking about them. I was really proud to be doing something other than working in the mill. Pittsburgh was still a big steel town at that point and that's where lots of people ended up. The closest film making was done in New York over 400 miles away. Film wasn’t totally magic to me because of the commercial work The Latent Image had been doing. We were a fairly well oiled unit by the time we got to Night having shot many TV commercials and other long form projects. There was lots of doubt as to whether Night would ever find a distributor and ultimately the public but Walter Reade came through with a deal and it would be up to the people to decide. The time between making the film and getting it in front of the public was a very up and down period to say the least. Even after its release it sure didn’t soar to the top of the charts. If it had been released in modern times it would probably never made it because it would have been gone before people found it. So now we are a year or so into it and still no Real success. I certainly wondered whether I would ever get my 600 bucks back! Then word of mouth started to take over and people kept coming to the theater and as best I can remember it was the Readers Digest article that put it over the top. People said they would forgive the grainy black and white look because it flat out scared them. It felt great to know it was working on the level it was designed. I remember the Image Ten getting letters from people in Europe saying they had seen it 11 times and love it. It was playing in Art Theaters over there and that’s when I started feeling a pride of accomplishment. That went on for some time before I realized I hadn’t made much more than my 600 bucks back so from an economic stand point it wasn’t all that rewarding and at my young age never felt it hadn’t reached the Classic Status it has today. I guess it took a lifetime of complements and comparisons, even up to the point of your question to make me understand how proud I am to have been a part of it. I have been all over the world and when people find out I was involved with Night they know about the film and can talk about it. Certainty coming back to Evans City and starting the festival has given me the biggest boost of pride. I have never been closer to the fans that made it the Classic it is and that’s a real rush for me. I am constantly amazed how it bridged generations to be just as popular with 20 year olds as it was for my generation in the late 60” and early 70’s. In many ways Night of the Living Dead is the American Dream and I’m living it. I would be ungrateful not be proud.
    Wow! A great post and a real insight. Nice one, gary.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Wow! A great post and a real insight. Nice one, gary.
    I agree. Great insider info! Thanks again, Gary- YOU RULE!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I agree. Great insider info! Thanks again, Gary- YOU RULE!
    I'll 3rd that. Love your avatar Gary, btw.

Norway
    Thank you for your great reply Gary. I think that the doing instead of talking attitude really shows off in the film.

Undisclosed

gary

Another tidbit for those who didn't see it.

http://dayofwoman.blogspot.com/2009/...a-schon.html:D

Undisclosed
    Gary,
    page seemed to have 'left the building'

JB

Undisclosed
    ^ Here's the link: Kyra Schon

An emoticon got in the way.

Super Moderator

United States
    Probably refering to the bit about Kira Schon being Woman of the Week on that particular blog. Pan down to read from the direct link to the blog.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Another tidbit for those who didn't see it.

http://dayofwoman.blogspot.com/2009/...a-schon.html:D

Found it.....
    nice read

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Ha! Ha!

"Who's Gary Streiner"?

Gary, welcome aboard, man ! Looking forward to meeting you.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Terror View Post
    Gary, welcome aboard, man ! Looking forward to meeting you.
    Forget it, Gary! Once you meet Danny Terror, you'll wish you had never heard of George Romero.

Undisclosed

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Forget it, Gary! Once you meet Danny Terror, you'll wish you had never heard of George Romero.
    Do I need to think about bringing extra cash? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post

Be nice if I learned how to use the forum!!~
    When I do I will qualify to be a Meathook Bad Ass.
    Last edited by gary; 10-Apr-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost