Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Romero: new movie "more like Dawn"

Super Moderator

UK
    Surely by "western" they mean, western-look, or western-themes, rather than Eighteen-Eighty-Something Of The Dead.

an action-oriented horror film that also functions as, believe it or not, a Western.
    Methinks the people on the island have resorted to the early days of America, the lawless days, the days endlessly examined in the movies and on TV, this sort of mythical past that so many people (not just in America) would love to have the chance to try on for size - so perhaps the dead rising is an excuse - and indeed it's somewhat fitting.

The dead are rising, it's a lawless land, it's everybody gunned-up and shootin' down the bad guys kinda thing.

I'm liking what I'm hearing, and I'm certainly happy it's got 99.9% piss all to do with Diary - even though I liked that flick, I wouldn't want a second when all is said and done - and I'm also very pleased about the return to the traditional 'look', rather than all that Blair Witch stuff, which was good for a distraction but ultimately can't deliver enough goods to be truly sustainable in many circumstances.

Blair Witch managed it well - and it made absolute sense - but in Diary it's losing some point in being, and you miss a lot of action as a result, or it becomes a bit forced - like Cloverfield (although, it did at least give us the excellent South Park spoof "The Startling" ) ... so yeah - woo!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn you MZ with your common sense and such.

Yeah, I guess I took it literally. Even after seeing the photos of zombies in modern clothing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Damn you MZ with your common sense and such.

Yeah, I guess I took it literally. Even after seeing the photos of zombies in modern clothing.
    You went and got your head all heated up again dintcha?

Hooray for common sense ... ... and boobies!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I'd say it's gonna be a "western" in the sense that From Dusk Till Dawn, Near Dark or No Country for Old Men are Westerns - i.e. set in the present day (or in this case the fictional near-future) but utilising certain imagery, plot devices, settings, characterisations, etc. common to traditional Western movies.

I doubt this will be set in the past, as we have already seen photos of zombies wearing modern-day clothing and a set pic featuring a car ferry (the "Slaughter Island Ferry", if I remember correctly).

United States
    I hate to even admit this, but this is starting to really interest me. Must. . .resist. . temptation to get. . hopes . . up

Kahn!!!!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I'd say it's gonna be a "western" in the sense that From Dusk Till Dawn, Near Dark or No Country for Old Men are Westerns - i.e. set in the present day (or in this case the fictional near-future) but utilising certain imagery, plot devices, settings, characterisations, etc. common to traditional Western movies.

I doubt this will be set in the past, as we have already seen photos of zombies wearing modern-day clothing and a set pic featuring a car ferry (the "Slaughter Island Ferry", if I remember correctly).

Bingo. This was my thoughts as well. NCFOM was actually the first one I thought of in the context of how to explain a modern "western-that-really-isn't-a western".

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    WTF??? Western of the Dead?

http://joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=14406
    i feel as if i've slipped into some sort of LSD fueled alternate reality. one in which the only music is by mazzy star and all the movies are zombie westerns - "come back, zombie shane."

oh, and like clang, i'm definitely interested in this thing now.
    Last edited by Mike70; 06-Nov-2008 at 03:43 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    this quote is going to cause so many fanboys to flip out...
    ahhhhhhh epic!!!!

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Withholding judgment, here.
    I'm with Ace...
    I do hope it is better than his last, just have to wait and see.

Undisclosed
    I look forward to it. I was a bit let down by Diary, although I liked it. I thought it did not need some of the narration during the whole thing. I would have rather it seemed something more akin to Quarantine with sort of the first hand very gritty feel to it. I know the intent of Diary was to have sort of a polished movie with film students dealing with it but still. I digress.

I think the idea for the movie is fine, the whole island thing, but to be honest there are alot of other things to be examined that I think could be super effective, like following one families survival or something like that, trying to live through the mess. I think the island thing can work, but I think there is something about the panic and confusion in the world that is drawing of this genre, and a whole load of other things. I suppose it is supposed to be like the mall, and have them supposidly safe from the world.

United States
    I'm somewhat excited myself but, comparing Diary to Night? Diary can't stand a chance against Night to save its life.

United States
    Yeah I think they are talking about imagery, and the sense of lawlessness on the frontier sort of thing. Not that you will have cowboys riding around with star shaped babges throwing people in the pokey for holding up the stage coach.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Dude, that just reminded me of the very awesome animated short by Gary Larson about the Zombie Ranch... hard to find, but well worth the effort. Not kidding, either. It's frickin' hilarious!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Dude, that just reminded me of the very awesome animated short by Gary Larson about the Zombie Ranch... hard to find, but well worth the effort. Not kidding, either. It's frickin' hilarious!
    Oh yeah, I saw that when I was a kid, great stuff. Saw it again recently, loved it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I hate to even admit this, but this is starting to really interest me. Must. . .resist. . temptation to get. . hopes . . up

Kahn!!!!!!
    I'm going to leave you as you left me... Buried alive!