Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dawn Of The Dead Composite Edit

Undisclosed
    Could you please put it on rapidshare or megaupload or something?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by See No Evil View Post
    As it stands, my version comes in about 40 or so seconds longer than the german 'Ultimate Final Cut' DVD.
    Okay, so what exactly does this bring to the table that differs from the Krekel Ultimate Cut or any one of the 'fan cuts'? I have an English language version that comes in at 156 mins, 34 seconds. What is the exact running time of your version? What scenes don't I have and what have you done with it audiowise? For example, have you stuck to a single piece of music to play over an extended scene or have you just carefully morphed in the audio from each version?
    Last edited by capncnut; 01-Jul-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    The Krekel Ultimate Cut comes in at 155mins 17secs 5frames (when you take off the ending company ident) My version is 156mins 2secs 14frames.

I havent compared both versions side by side yet, i havent even finished editing the audio for that matter, so i wouldnt know if i have anything extra or it could even just be down to a slight speed discrepancy between the two versions from the film to DVD transfer process (or three versions if you have one running slightly longer). Equally i wouldn't know what scenes you did/didn't have. If you have a different version it would be handy if i could trade you for a copy?

With regards to the audio, I'm staying with complete tracks as opposed to blending between them at edits. I'm using some tracks from the extended version and some from the argento version, it just depends on what i have to work with, what would be easiest to edit and what tracks i like.

capncnut
    The Krekel Ultimate Cut comes in at 155mins 17secs 5frames (when you take off the ending company ident) My version is 156mins 2secs 14frames.
    The 156 minute running time on Krekel Ultimate Cut was down to it being originally released on VHS. For some reason, it just came in at a bit longer.

With regards to the audio, I'm staying with complete tracks as opposed to blending between them at edits. I'm using some tracks from the extended version and some from the argento version, it just depends on what i have to work with, what would be easiest to edit and what tracks i like.
    Now that's what I call interesting, I have a couple of 'fan cuts', one comes in at 155 mins and the other at 156. On the latter, there's a 'company' logo at the beginning of the movie and at the end (when the clock strikes one) it cuts to a small moving animation of the Dawn logo which was used in one of the trailers. Maybe that's why it makes up a slightly longer running time. The version that the BBC use for television screenings also has this animation at the end, which is strange because it's not a part of the three versions commercially released.

But I think this 156 min version has everything included but unlike yours, it has a slightly awkward soundtrack because it (very professionally) cuts back and forth between the versions. It's well done but I would love to see a version where it sticks to one musical piece as opposed to the two. I also said elsewhere that there are one or two sequences in this version that are reprised because of some quick cutting in Argento's version: a quick shot of Franny on the stairs, some TV dialogue and a few zombie shots during the biker raid. It all adds up to about 4 seconds in total (I know, how pathetic am I?) but I would like to see these removed so it's a perfect cut as opposed to ultimate.

Somebody else mentioned about a shot in one of the European trailers that wasn't available on any version of the film. It would be interesting to see this small piece added too. But yeah, you have me intrigued, let me know how the audio process works for you. I would be happy to trade/pay for a DVD of the finished result.

Undisclosed
    Where can one find a couple of "fan cuts"? Until this one is released.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've never seen any cut other than the official three. I'm pretty excited on seeing this one.

Super Moderator

UK
    The version that the BBC use for television screenings also has this animation at the end, which is strange because it's not a part of the three versions commercially released.
    Aye I noticed this a few years ago when BBC2 played Dawn of the Dead. I already had the video at that stage, but I recorded it just because I couldn't believe Dawn of the Dead was on BBC2.

But I saw that logo at the end and was like "wtf? where did that come from?!"

I also recorded it at the time to have a quick squizz and see what they cut out - evidently (at the time I saw it on TV anyway) - quite a lot.

Not that long ago (last year I think), Dawn of the Dead was shown on BBC1, now that I was surprised at. I thought BBC1 was too poncy for such a film, evidently not. By which I mean, I thought they would have been too scared of showing it, all the gore is quite hard for BBC1, which is usually a channel for tamer and more mainstream fare.

Dawn of the Dead ROCKS!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    But I saw that logo at the end and was like "wtf? where did that come from?!"
    Yeah, freaked the hell out of me also. I think maybe the BBC took it from the trailer directly and put it on the end as the cut to black with the clock chime is pretty lengthy (maybe 10 seconds), so viewers don;t have to look at a black screen. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Not that long ago (last year I think), Dawn of the Dead was shown on BBC1, now that I was surprised at. I thought BBC1 was too poncy for such a film, evidently not.
    Yeah, the last time BBC1 showed it, it was completely uncut. And it started at 10.45pm, which surprised me immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by twistbud View Post
    Where can one find a couple of "fan cuts"? Until this one is released.
    It's all who you know.

Undisclosed
    Well, is it ready yet? LOL!

Eagerly awaiting the BT link...
    "We Got this man, we got this by the ass!"

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Hello,

First time here and am glad I found this topic. I just recently purchased the Dario Argento version and was so psyched! I tried making my own cut on VHS a few years back, but it just wasn't working out. I hope you can provide a list of the changes made when this is ready... Just as an FYI, here is what I WAS looking for in this version and found dissapointing.

Love the origonal Romero beginning as is, with his creepy music, up until they get the helicopter.

(Glad they removed the dopey cop. Not glad that they removed the Hillbilly hunting scene music. Also VERY dissapointed in the removal of the helicopter cutting the head off the zombie).

After that, I think the Argento version rocks and doesn't need really any messing with as far as I can tell. Glad that he got rid of the goofiness at this point and the terrible music. Like I said, the origonal music, at the beginning of the film, is fine and creepy as it was, but the ending needed to get rid of that really bad heroic music and mall muzak. Also, I feel that the extended edition just spends WAY too much time "hanging around in the mall."

My 2 cents, and would be very interested in knowing what you have planned compared to my concept, as well as any other comments from others. Sorry if this has been gone over before, just curious.

Thanks!

DM
    Last edited by DeadMikey; 11-Jul-2007 at 05:34 PM.

United States

Also a quick poll, the audio track untouched is quite jarring cutting from one version to another, especially if theres music in the background. I'll be re-mixing the audio, but would anyone really like to get the original untouched audio as a 2nd audio track?
    Yes, I think this would be worth a listen as a secondary track for reference. Die hards would love this feature.

Undisclosed
    is it ready yet?
    "We Got this man, we got this by the ass!"

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

156 min German version

I have the 156 min German version, which unless I am mistaken, is the longest studio cut available,

Undisclosed
    In my opinion that cut is no more than a fan edit, and they had the help of dubbed audio.

Can't wait for your and CWs edits, the amount of times I've heard of someone giving this a go and giving up is crazy.

Administrator

England
    Has anyone here got the dutch filmworks 2 disc DVD (with the argento & extended versions)? I really liked the DVD menu look on that & wanted to use the same look for my composite edit DVD menu but i only have the 3 DVD ultimate box set. if anyone has & can capture pictures of the main menus & such from both DVDs and e-mail them to me as BMP files, please PM me.
    I might have this, can't remember... Shall I go and look?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan