Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World War Z movie

Ireland
    Read the Unabridged version of the stand and you will see that there is NO way to ever put it in movie format as good as the book was brother.

And dreamcatcher?? Come on mate a book/movie about a Retard that turns into an alien and saves the world!!! theres no way that could be good.

WWZ is gonna tank with the true fans but the mindless masses are gonna shiit themselves over it
    People don't go to hell for doing bad things, they go to hell for doing NOTHING.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by IRA_LCPL View Post
    And dreamcatcher?? Come on mate a book/movie about a Retard that turns into an alien and saves the world!!! theres no way that could be good.
    Anything with sh*tweasels in it is an automatic classic!

Ireland
    you got me there mate
    People don't go to hell for doing bad things, they go to hell for doing NOTHING.

Undisclosed
    A movie based on that book could be done and done well...think about it. Most of the story was told in interview fashion with clips of scenes from each persons experiences. This could be good if they stick to the book and not embellish it for the mtv and chewing gum crowd. I look forward to this movie and will most likely be disappointed...enough said ...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Let me see. As far as the double-viewings I've experienced:

Jaws: Book > Movie
    The Godfather: Book > Movie
    The Langoliers: Book > Movie
    Dreamcatcher: Book > Movie
    Needful Things: Book > Movie
    'Salem's Lot: Book > Movie
    I Am Legend: Book > Movie
    1984: Book > Movie
    Christine: Book > Movie
    The Shining: Book > Movie
    The Stand: Book > Movie
    Cujo: Book > Movie

...so far, movies aren't exactly leading the head-to-head competition...
    Which are better, apples or oranges? See how this argument doesn't really hold up?

If you're going to ENJOY the Shining over an evening, would you sit down and watch the film or would you read the book? You'd watch the film. Even if you consider the book to be "better".

United States
    I feel like books converted to movies can be done well if the adaptation (key word there) recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of the medium. I like how some movies can bring into focus the images that I conjured in my head while reading the book. At the same time, I always feel like without having read the book I'm going in with half the story. The movie alone isn't enough.

Take Lord of the Rings. There was no way to convey the intricacies of the storyline through film. But they did convey the grandeur of the settings, the characters, and the events. It did a great job filling in the gaps in my imagination while not tarnishing my experience from the books.

The same could be said for the Shining. The visuals took me to the place that the book created.

Then you have things like Starship Troopers. A highly political and engaging book turned into the most shallow special effects ridden teen summer-camp caricature of a movie. Reading the book is a whole different experience from watching the movie. The visuals did not convey the images from the book at all. Shouldn't even share a name. I had to re-read the book just to try to preserve the images that the movie tried to destroy.

I thought I Am Legend was a masterful book and have never enjoyed any of the adaptations. All of the derivative works should be considered "inspired by" the book, not direct adaptations. They all take too many liberties with the storyline.

By and large I like the Stephen King adaptations. Salem's Lot and The Stand both do justice to the books. It would be interesting to see how present day Hollywood fares in making a new King adaptation.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    By and large I like the Stephen King adaptations. Salem's Lot and The Stand both do justice to the books. It would be interesting to see how present day Hollywood fares in making a new King adaptation.
    The Mist, Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, these movies were all pretty good in my opinion some better than others. You decide which

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Then you have things like Starship Troopers. A highly political and engaging book turned into the most shallow special effects ridden teen summer-camp caricature of a movie. Reading the book is a whole different experience from watching the movie. The visuals did not convey the images from the book at all. Shouldn't even share a name. I had to re-read the book just to try to preserve the images that the movie tried to destroy.
    Are you seriously suggesting the Starship Troopers film is NOT political? Uhm. Go watch it again... If you think it's about the special effects, you were probably not even paying attention.

Granted, the film takes a different stand than the book, and does not share much incommon with it. But to say that it's a-political is just... Wrong.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by IRA_LCPL View Post
    Read the Unabridged version of the stand and you will see that there is NO way to ever put it in movie format as good as the book was brother.

WWZ is gonna tank with the true fans but the mindless masses are gonna shiit themselves over it
    Not when it's a made for tv ****fest event.

Look what PJ did for The Lord of the Rings. It can be done.
    CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting the Starship Troopers film is NOT political? Uhm. Go watch it again... If you think it's about the special effects, you were probably not even paying attention.

Granted, the film takes a different stand than the book, and does not share much incommon with it. But to say that it's a-political is just... Wrong.
    I am suggesting that the Starship Troopers film took all of the significant and controversial political statements made by the book and replaced them with shallow and obvious political statements. I'm also suggesting that the main selling points of the movie were special effects and hard-bodied pretty actors with no talent. And, yes, I was paying attention.

It's very similar to what happened to I Am Legend. All of the religious exploration done by Neville was jettisoned. It was deemed too risky. Hollywood won't embrace anything that is not widely accepted and might cause negativity toward the movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I am suggesting that the Starship Troopers film took all of the significant and controversial political statements made by the book and replaced them with shallow and obvious political statements. I'm also suggesting that the main selling points of the movie were special effects and hard-bodied pretty actors with no talent. And, yes, I was paying attention.
    Yes, the main selling point of the movie were the special effects. But anyone who thinks the film is ABOUT the special effects was obviously not paying attention.

The Starship Troopers film is one of the most beautifully demented and hilarious political sci-fi films of the last decade. In my eyes, it is without a doubt a masterpiece.

United States
    Compared to the book however, it was a shiny new turd.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Compared to the book however, it was a shiny new turd.
    You read my mind and condensed it from 4 paragraphs into one perfect sentence.

United States
    Comparing a literary source to a film is an apple and orange equation
    CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I agree, it was a shallow parody of the statements in the book. When I saw the movie, it didn't feel like the makers of the movie were trying to make different political statements. It felt like they they totally missed what the book was saying.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria