Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2010 census

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Yes but there are 309 million US citizens so that means we are lacking only 4% of the populations information from tax returns. It appears that there are going to be far more than 15 million not filling out their tax return. (Like I mentioned in my previous post thus far only 14% of people have returned their census forms).
    I looked up 2000 Census Response rate and they had a 67% Final Response Rate.http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/respon...0response.html
    So in comparison:
    Demographics from taxes: 94% complete
    Demographics from 2000 Census: 67% complete

So:
    1)The Census redundant to the information gained from taxes, and therefore
    2)Wasteful in the money that is spent($14.5 Billion),
    3)It is also much less accurate and complete than the information from taxes. (94% vs. 67%)
    I think you misunderstand the response rate. 67% is just the rate for voluntarily returning the form. Census workers then went door-to-door to count the rest.

Also, tax forms don't collect all information relevant to the census. For example, sometimes divorced parents can claim children they don't have custody of as dependents for tax purposes. In the tax files, then, these children may be associated with addresses in states where they don't actually live.

Now that I think about it, though, I partially agree to you to this extent at least: it seems like a lot of money could be saved if, rather than replacing the census entirely, they made the census form a required attachment to one's tax return every 10th year, or maybe even just a couple of extra questions on the return. That would save having to pay for an extra mailing, and the higher response rate would cut down on the expensive door-to-door work to fill in the gaps.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Now that I think about it, though, I partially agree to you to this extent at least: it seems like a lot of money could be saved if, rather than replacing the census entirely, they made the census form a required attachment to one's tax return every 10th year, or maybe even just a couple of extra questions on the return. That would save having to pay for an extra mailing, and the higher response rate would cut down on the expensive door-to-door work to fill in the gaps.
    Deal!.....*shakes hand*....

Solving the United States problems one step at a time.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    as the voice of authority on crackers, being one myself, no, no we cannot drive that car.

Conversely it seems this is the white people exclusive car

FYI........i got kidney punched when my fiancee saw what i typed here about "white people drive certain cars".

if i offended anyone, im sorry. didnt mean it that way in the least bit

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    FYI........i got kidney punched when my fiancee saw what i typed here about "white people drive certain cars".

if i offended anyone, im sorry. didnt mean it that way in the least bit
    I'm offended you got kidney punched for it

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany