Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Falling Skies (No Spoilers)

England
    Ok. I've given this a 2nd chance and just watched episodes 6-8.

Sorry im not feeling it at all. It's still melodramatic garbage. If you took any scene out of this and transplanted it into The Walking Dead claiming it was good you would , quite rightly, be laughed out of this forum.
    Absolute rubbish.
    Sorry.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Ok. I've given this a 2nd chance and just watched episodes 6-8.

Sorry im not feeling it at all. It's still melodramatic garbage. If you took any scene out of this and transplanted it into The Walking Dead claiming it was good you would , quite rightly, be laughed out of this forum.
    Absolute rubbish.
    Sorry.
    .....but the walking dead isn't good.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    .....but the walking dead isn't good.
    Really? Cause I could have sworn there was whole sub forum dedicated to it whereas this.... Well. Trash Danny. Absolute trash.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Really? Cause I could have sworn there was whole sub forum dedicated to it whereas this....
    theres sub forums on websites for peoples my little pony fursonas, that equates to quality over taste how? not saying you are wrong about falling skies but its exactly how i feel about the walking dead- only falling skies is an original series, the walking dead is an adaptation of vastly superior source material, and that made it far more disappointing for me.

that and any scifi on tv is rare nowadays so i take what i can get.

Still think walking dead is a dull brown and tears show.

England
    Terra Nova starts this week so hopefully that will be more my thing in scifi terms

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    just watched episode 8, talk about a step up in terms of quality and plot development. kind of got a fallout 3 vibe from the whole episode.

Shame its just starting to get really good and then we gotta wait for season 2.

but the twist about the you know what? called it on episode 1.
    At least the lead character only hugged his kids once this episode and there were no flag waving speeches. Horray! Problem I had with this episode though

was the "all of a sudden" focus on Weaver. Here's a guy with little or no background being thrust into the limelight in such a hackneyed and cliched way.
    It was pretty dreadful.

I'll watch this til the end of the series, I spose, but I can't say that I'll be tuning in for the next round.

As for the "twist", it does seem a little obvious now, alright and a little disappointing too.

In the end, I'm just sorta bored by 'Falling Skies' and for an "end of the world" type show, that's a bad sign. I'm really only watching because there's nothing else on.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Dying

United States
    Terra Nova starts this week so hopefully that will be more my thing in scifi terms
    I thought Terra Nova started September 26?

Also, is it weird that when I first saw the new alien type I immediately thought that the skitters were working for the cloners from Attack of the Clones?
    Last edited by Mitchified; 03-Aug-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: More

United States
    Eh, I don't agree with Hellsing that "Walking Dead" isn't good, I think it's highly enjoyable as a series. I'd probably put "Falling Skies" in the same category of entertainment (for me at least) as "Walking Dead" as being equally entertaining. I wouldn't consider it any better or worse really. I can see both sides of the discussion though for those who enjoy it (like me) and those who don't.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    I thought Terra Nova started September 26?

Also, is it weird that when I first saw the new alien type I immediately thought that the skitters were working for the cloners from Attack of the Clones?
    Looks like it is September then. I could have sworn i saw a banner advert on a website saying 8/7. Oh well

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Eh, I don't agree with Hellsing that "Walking Dead" isn't good, I think it's highly enjoyable as a series. I'd probably put "Falling Skies" in the same category of entertainment (for me at least) as "Walking Dead" as being equally entertaining. I wouldn't consider it any better or worse really. I can see both sides of the discussion though for those who enjoy it (like me) and those who don't.

j.p.
    like i said, if you read the comics youd get it, its like the old 70s adaption of the lord of the rings, which follows the actual plot for a bit then due to budget constraints goes on increasingly shitty tangents that are vastly inferior to the source material. If the shows the only version of the walking dead you know ive no doubt its the dogs bollocks. If it aint its a vastly inferior imitation. Falling skies isnt amazing but its an original work so im way more lenient on it when there isnt a much better version of it already out there.

England
    Its still not pulling me in at all this series, theres still far too much tinkly piano music, too much sickly sweet emotional stuff and hero speeches which has become a staple for Spielbergs work in the last decade or more, too many characters that I couldnt care less about and as for being original, it just borrows from every other alien invasion story that has gone before it but not really in a good way. The CGI on those mechs is cack as well.

England
    So how was the season finale guys?

MY HOME CINEMA

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I only saw Mutiny on Monday and was appalled
    The doctor and professor discover the skitters are harnessed and it's revealed to the viewer the children they harness become them but get this the doctor and professor suspect this and go "Lets keep this to ourselves.".
    They know the aliens are building structures, they don't know their function but they plan to blow them up.
    They find humanoid aliens they know nothing about controlling the skitters.
    They lose contact with other resistance groups they were going to work with to blow up alien structures, they met a woman who turned out to be working with the aliens because they used her children as leverage indicating the aliens have collaborators and there could be a few among their own unit.
    They know the aliens use harnessed children, the very people they intend to save, to build these structures and yet at the end of this episode taking none of it into consideration they ride in to blow them up.

Mercifully the finale shown these idiots got their just deserts, they kill a Mech scout and rout a Mech army from destroying their base via radio but their group sent to take out the structures are countered and destroyed.
    Then the humanoid aliens meet the professor and commander and say they intend to negotiate.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 13-Aug-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: hell of it