Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So I finally broke down and bought World War Z

Undisclosed
    World War Z is a great read especially since alot of the zombie writings Ive read have been pretty sub par but thats highlighted by "Reign of the Dead"
    : Shudder : my three year old cousin has written better things. The hpotd fiction section though is awesome, bodysnatchers particularly not sure if there are still up there? Any ideas where I could download a copy of the whole series?
    Why arent you laughing?

United States
    Okay quick update...

I have been slow to read through this book, very much hammered (at work ... not in a good way) and no time to read. I did just make some headway into it.

A few thoughts and be warned there be spoilers a foot.

The scene in the mental hospital for "feral children" in which she details the events i nthe church? Yeah, I am not afraid to say it... brought a tear to my eye. I got a little emotional. BUT IN A MANLY WAY.

Then after that the part I have heard so much about from you, the Battle at Yonkers. I am not quite through it, it is thankfully a lengthy bit. It is awesome.

Looking forward to lunch today. So you know lunch for me is sitting in my truck with a book... it is -8 degrees here. So I will be wrapped up like only a New Yorker can be in the middle of winter laying down in my truck, reading a zombie book.

God I love America.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I am not afraid to say it... brought a tear to my eye. I got a little emotional. BUT IN A MANLY WAY.
    So when you got all choked up, did you ball up a single fist and beat it against your chest as you made ineffable, Staloneish sounds of grief?

So you know lunch for me is sitting in my truck with a book... it is -8 degrees here. So I will be wrapped up like only a New Yorker can be in the middle of winter laying down in my truck, reading a zombie book.
    God bless ya, Thorn. It must be a NY thing, because I've done the same thing in winters past. Enjoy your reading. I look forward to hearing more of your opinions on World War Z!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    So when you got all choked up, did you ball up a single fist and beat it against your chest as you made ineffable, Staloneish sounds of grief?
    Um sorta like that but with more of the "I must have some thing in my eye" action going on.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    God bless ya, Thorn. It must be a NY thing, because I've done the same thing in winters past. Enjoy your reading. I look forward to hearing more of your opinions on World War Z!
    NY PRIDE!

Twitching

United States
    One Concept,
    The South African "Plan". Think it was called the Redecker Plan or something similar. That was some ice-cold stuff there. Smart, but definitely along the lines of "If we do this do we really deserve to survive as a species?"

I love the parts about the retraining of the military forces for zombie-fighting. (Like using a metranome to teach firing speed/reloading), and about the American president trying to convince the rest of the world to reclaim the White Zones for the sake of future generations, and the defeatist message they'd be sending to those generations if they didn't do it. It struck me as incredibly realistic that the majority of humanity would be willing to sit on their hands and ignore a deadly threat to species survival if the ones making the decision(s) were currently safe and well-supplied.

The Battle of Yonkers was cool, but I had a hard time believing that the military would be that gullible about their battle deployment. I mean in the real world there's always been some sort of air support/massive anti-personnel contingency for the infantry/front lines being overrun. The lack of incendiaries, air support, and intelligent ammo loadouts for the tanks was depressing. Plus, where were the rally points or predetermined route(s) for a possible withdrawal. It sort of felt like a "What the military might do when facing zombies if lead by a 12yr old" scenario.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by archivesofthede View Post
    It's probably one of the better books. Not as good as Day By Day or Morning Star Strain.
    Definitely agree. WWZ had some good parts, some bad parts, and some REALLY bad parts. Ok, overall. ** out of ****

Day by Day Armageddon and Plague of the Dead were much better, though, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Nope. . thought he was quite good. And I am currently listening to Mark Hamil's bit. . . . The battle of Yonkers. . .badass!!!
    I found the Suez Canal fight from Plague of the Dead more engrossing.
    Last edited by Bruiser235; 20-Jan-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    I will have to check them both out next. I bought Left 4 Dead the other night, it is starting to get weird. There is possibly TOO much zombie in my diet right now. Movies, Trade paperbacks, video games, websites, artwork, novels... next I will be LARPING.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    next I will be LARPING.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    indeed sir, serious indeed.

United States
    ...and business is good.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    ...and business is good.
    ...or Not...LIGHTNING BOLT!!! LIGHTNING BOLT!!!

United States
    The lightning bolt video has to be one of my favorite all time viral videos. Seriously. I find myself wondering what people were thinking as the sat around watching that scene unfold.

Couple of Zombie Specific LARP sites...

http://www.terror4fun.com/zombie_LARP_zombiefest.html

http://www.zombielarp.com/

http://zombielarp.ning.com/

United States
    i've read the hell out of it on wikipedia. i really wanna read it.

United States
    Finished it yesterday, some of it is really good. Some of it moves very slow.

Some thoughts...

1) His level of research is astounding. He went out of his way to research items to ensure that he captured real enough to life facts about places, and things to make it seem believable. This is so key in a work of reality based fiction. To help the reader lose herself in it.

2) The writing style make it hard for there to be a lot of character development. Since it is "restricted" to these chapter views you have very little real estate within which you can draw the reader in. The write does a good job in this, it is not his failing but a failing of the style he selected. As I mentioned elsewhere very few chapters did I emotional connect to the characters in. One was with the Chopper pilot, one was the item already mentioned by me earlier in the thread when I was misty eyed. Not much other than that.

3) I think we could have used a closer look at some of the battles in which free areas defended themselves against the horde. It was interesting, and having it mentioned... thinking about their plight. I would like to have seen some of that in raging detail.

4) Loved the bit about castles and queens.

5) As one who has long maintained that melee weapons would play a very important role if there was an uprising, it did my heart good to see that remain true in many cases.

My next book is the road, not a zombie book but after that I will keep back to zombie books.

I just need slow moving non super zombies, with good character development written by someone with a brain.

Suggestions?