Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mafia 2 - looks pretty damn cool to me...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    No good? How so?
    It there is not really much to do aside from the campaign.

It felt like a linear game inside of a sandbox game. imagine gta with no minigames.. No side missions and no multiplayer... and no euphoria.. All of the ai pedestrians just seem like bots. Dont get me wrong.. The campaign is good but thats about it.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Scotland
    I played it all the way through in a day, more or less (did the last bit the following morning which took about 30 mins) and like the first one the storyline is excellent.

About 12 hours in total, quite disappointed in the linear gameplay as Copper has mentioned. But the controls were a big improvement over the first one as well as graphics.

Loved the little tie in to the first Mafia game, will not spoil it but if you see it your go 'awwwww hell yeah'

Also, got to love the little Playboy Magazines you can pick up that give you a nudy lady photo, looks like modern ladies but posing as they would in that era so only breasts and bums, still look good though.

I see they already have an option for Downloadable content and in the Steam acheivements there is mention of a 'Jimmies revenge' (I think) chapter that has some big goals (like kill 1000 people or something) so it's not over yet.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY View Post
    I played it all the way through in a day, more or less (did the last bit the following morning which took about 30 mins) and like the first one the storyline is excellent.

About 12 hours in total, quite disappointed in the linear gameplay as Copper has mentioned. But the controls were a big improvement over the first one as well as graphics.

Loved the little tie in to the first Mafia game, will not spoil it but if you see it your go 'awwwww hell yeah'

Also, got to love the little Playboy Magazines you can pick up that give you a nudy lady photo, looks like modern ladies but posing as they would in that era so only breasts and bums, still look good though.

I see they already have an option for Downloadable content and in the Steam acheivements there is mention of a 'Jimmies revenge' (I think) chapter that has some big goals (like kill 1000 people or something) so it's not over yet.

Upcoming dlc:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...-detailed.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Well today is release day! I havent got it yet but was wondering if any of you guys have & what your first impressions of the full game are!
    Got the game the day before release and played through 23% of the game in two gaming sessions - so you won't get the length of play you'd get out of GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption - plus, as has been said, it's like a linear story inside a sandbox environment, which feels a bit odd, but I can also understand why they did it like that - so you get this entire city to move around in.

It's not as polished as a GTA IV, for example, but I have enjoyed the amount I've played so far. Not incredible by any means (it looked better from the dev diaries and trailers), but when you get into the vibe of it, it's still good and worth getting into.

I'm on holiday at the moment, so I only got to play that first 23%, but will get back into the game next week and resume. I've been enjoying the plot and the characters and the setting, but yeah there's not much else to do on the side. There is something to do with cars, and working at the docks, but I'm not sure if those missions are still there once you get into the 1950s - they appear in the 1940s portion of the game, but I don't know if they'll still be around in the 1950s.

I am currently up to the bit where you're in prison and you're about to go and make a phone call, but haven't got beyond that point - and won't until next week - so hopefully the apparent side missions **cars, and dock work - as found on the map ... and another thing, possibly** will still be there in the 1950s portion of the game.

Otherwise I'll have to replay the game at some point and do them before getting jailed ... I'll find out in due course I guess.

One thing that is well random though is that the save game file, according to the back of the box, requires something like 32mb of space ... yet the actual file space used on my console is something like 52mb!!! FIFTY-TWO?!?! WTF?! Most games use like 200kb or 1mb at most, but FIFTY-TWO MEGABYTES?!

And, of course, only one save slot - so if you ever get a freeze or power cut when saving, you'll be royally screwed. I really hate the one save slot nonsense. I would back it up to my other memory unit but the sheer size totally negates that possibility.

Still, looking forward to getting back into the game next week.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You can pretty much go and sell cars to those guys at anytime but that's about it in the way of side missions which sucks.

It makes the game feel dated when every other game of this type gives you so much to do.

Oh well, there's still RDR.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Hmmm, you guys are making up my mind for me. Sounds like a pass, at least till the price drops and some expansive DLC comes out, then I'll reconsider.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Hmmm, you guys are making up my mind for me. Sounds like a pass, at least till the price drops and some expansive DLC comes out, then I'll reconsider.
    And the campaign is short as hell to boot. If you wanted to you could finish it on the hardest difficulty setting in a weekend.

Well buddy, all I can say is that's why God made gamefly.

Ireland
    Pass for me too, I think.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Again, that's what gamefly is for.

I can't tell you how many $60 retail games I've played that after I got them from gamefly and played them were definitely not worth it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Mafia 2 Joe's Adventures DLC Gets Made Later This Year

Update!

Man are these dlc's coming out fast or what!?!

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...This-Year.html

Super Moderator

UK
    These DLCs should have been on the ruddy disc. I can't be doing with the DLC bullshit - release a full game, you know?

Maybe they'll do an "Episodes from Liberty City" and release them on a disc - that I would buy (although it still should have been on the main disc to give us people more game time) - but who knows, probably not as all these devs are so obsessed with DLC. It seems like "nevermind the single player, we've got all this fucking multiplayer and DLC nonsense to jack off over" ... how about "fuck off and concentrate on an excellent single player campaign"?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well, I'm old school buddy. I agree that most dlc content nowdays could easily beon the original disc.

Just imagine when you beat RE and RE 2 that you had to pay for the infinite lancher or for extra scenarios!

But you don't have to imagine because that's exactly what RE 5 did with "Lost in Nightmarea" and "desperate escape."

If RE 4 had come out today we would have had to pay for the "Seperate ways" mission which, imo, blows the RE 5 content out of the water.

That's proof right there that they could easily include most content.

Undisclosed
    Gamefly is sending it to me. I should have it in hand by Friday.

---------- Post added 05-Dec-2010 at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-Dec-2010 at 05:48 PM ----------

They should have called this game, Mafia Driver, because that is what it feels like. What makes this game worth playing? I has potential, but so far, it has let me down. Is more than half the game about driving?