Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something to know before buying into the Facebook IPO

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Nothin' wrong with that, especially the second part!
    /LIKE

I, fortunately, never opened an account on FB.
    /DISLIKE

I guess you could say I'm pretty OCD,
    /LIKE

but before I get involved in anything - be it a car loan, buying a house, or signing up for twitter or facebook - I always research the shit out of what I'm planning on getting into.
    /LIKE

FB just rubbed me the wrong way, so I've always stayed far and away from it.
    /DISLIKE

It just... I don't know, perhaps it's the tinfoil-hat-wearin' crackpot inside me,
    /LIKE

but something just doesn't sit well with me and FB. It's fishy.
    /DISLIKE

And I hate fish.

/LIKE

...But sushi rocks!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    ...But sushi rocks!
    /DISLIKE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    there are smart asses and then there are the members of this forum. i salute you all.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    I'll bet you don't use facebook.

You cranky old men complaining about facebook is amusing.
    Probably almost as amusing as watching every idiot I have to be subjected to piss away their lives on it blathering on about their nothing lives, showing off for each other in a self aggrandizing circle jerk, & playing the home game of "Petyon Place" as they gossip & stab each other in the back.

So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    there are smart asses and then there are the members of this forum. i salute you all.
    I like to think, collectively, we're elevating smart-ass-ery to the level of an art form personally.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Probably almost as amusing as watching every idiot I have to be subjected to piss away their lives on it blathering on about their nothing lives, showing off for each other in a self aggrandizing circle jerk, & playing the home game of "Petyon Place" as they gossip & stab each other in the back.

I like to think, collectively, we're elevating smart-ass-ery to the level of an art form personally.
    that might be the best description of facebook i've ever heard.

smart-ass-ery? i love it. we should come up with a motto for the forum that includes that "word."
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

So there.

You forgot to add "while playing Farmville"" in there somewhere...

Undisclosed
    Marky must be losing fb friends at an alarming rate.

Facebook’s first week is (almost) the worst of any IPO in 10 years

Facebook’s first five days as a public company saw its value drop 13.1 percent, the worst first-week performance of any initial public offering in a decade.

That’s the sorry picture compiled by Bloomberg at the close of trading yesterday. In contrast, Visa’s 2008 IPO resulted in a first-week bump of 45.4 percent, putting big smiles on the faces of anyone lucky enough to buy stock on that company’s first day of trading.

Of course, small investors’ loss is Facebook’s gain. As we explained yesterday, Facebook and its underwriters, led by Morgan Stanley, pegged its opening price at the top of its range, $38, even though it was privately telling select investors that its revenue forecasts for the coming year were on the “low end” of its previous guidance. That message didn’t get out to the wider market — including smaller investors — until after the IPO. In other words, Facebook maximized its IPO raise, even though its actions would torpedo the stock as soon as the full revenue predictions became public.

Administrator

England
    Another big drop today! It's broken down thru $30 so currently at another 8% down today!

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=NASDAQ:FB
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Another big drop today! It's broken down thru $30 so currently at another 8% down today!

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=NASDAQ:FB
    *giggles with glee while watching the ship sink*

Undisclosed
    Are they intentionally trying to sink their own company? What makes them think that their own users who haven't shown to have money or confidence in buying FB stock will spend $300+ on ANOTHER phone that will do what the app does for free?

I wonder if Marky and the money junkies have huge derivatives on the failure of FB.

Why a Facebook phone doesn't stand a chance

This is the third time that a semi-credible Facebook phone rumor has come up. Back on 2010, TechCrunch reported that Facebook was working on a smartphone, and then in 2011 it was the turn of AllThingsD to pick up on the rumor and run with it.

As to whether Facebook is toying internally with the idea of a smartphone, I don’t know. But what strikes me about all these rumors is that they fail to address why a smartphone is a key component in the Facebook strategy. Hardware is an enormously risky business; ask companies such as RIM or Motorola and they will tell you just how risky it can be. There is massive scope for failure, and an equally massive scope for burning through huge piles of cash in the process.

What’s more, the key factor of how a Facebook phone will offer a different experience from a Facebook app or simply visiting the Facebook website via the browser is not explained. What differentiates the hardware experience from the app experience? This is crucial, since people are going to be expected to trade up their existing phone — on which they can access Facebook for free via the app or browser — and buy another handset. If there isn’t a clear advantage as to why people should buy the hardware — beyond bragging rights — then the idea is doomed

Administrator

England
    *giggles with glee while watching the ship sink*
    Nearly at 10% down today!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    The FB shennanigans are still continuing on.

ALERT: CNBC Accuses Morgan Stanley of "Painting The Tape"!

Very few things shock me these days in our rigged markets but this one is a stunning revelation that was openly discussed on CNBC this morning. Gary Kamenski of CNBC comments on the strange spike of Facebook stock last week and blames it on James Gorman of Morgan Stanley for "Paining the Tape" which he claims is "perfectly legal".

So the lead Facebook underwriter was giving an interview on CNBC telling everyone to watch the intraday trading and then Morgan Stanley jacks up the price of Facebook in the last few trading minutes and for some reason this commentator thinks it's "perfectly legal"!

IT'S NOT LEGAL AT ALL!

As a matter of fact...IT'S PERFECTLY ILLEGAL to manipulate the price right before the close or at ANYTIME!!

When will these nobheads understand that hardly anyone has money to get hooked into these pump and dump scams anymore?

Just wait until the bottom completely falls out of FB after over 1.7 billion shares owned by employees and other insiders get unlocked and they dump the stock to head off further devaluation losses.
    Last edited by Sammich; 05-Jun-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: a

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    this reminds me, I need to update my status