Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 3x05 "Say The Word" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

United States
    Pleasantly surprised I made it into the thread this week before anyone referred to a woman on the show as a whore...that hardly ever happens anymore.

Decent episode for a reset, but I agree it was somewhat muddled. Nice to have an episode where they don't lean so heavily on action and the shock of loss to carry the length of the running time, but they need to look at these episodes as not just component parts of a seasonal arc.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Enjoyed the episode. Season 3 is a winner thus far IMO.
    Still some annoyances as well: why not search for Carol, or at the very least mention her name at least once? Seems weird after all the trouble the group went through searching for Sophia last season they are willing to give up on one of their own so easily...

I am really starting to dislike the way Michonne is written and being portrayed in the tv series. A lot of her actions don't make much sense. Her standing in the middle of the street looking up at the Governor's window with that agressive 'I know something is going on up there' stare felt a bit ridiculous. If you are that paranoid why show it so openly? Wouldn't you try to hide your suspicions a bit more in order not to raise attention to your way too obvious spying around?
    Same with the CGI hacking up of the walkers... Felt like a silly 'let's have some samurai action' moment. The Michonne I know from the comic was impulsive as well but never that dumb.

And why the hell isn't she trying to convince Andrea a bit more? Speaking of Andrea; her character is all over the place as well. From depressed and having given up on trying to survive to hardened sharpshooter and survivor to this? She is a bit thick at the moment no? Her friendship with Michonne and the whole investigating Woodbury could have been handled a whole lot better.

Still; the governor's creepiness is really done well. Great, subtle acting. Morrissey is saving the Woodbury scenes for me.

The deconstruction of the sheriff is also very well done IMO. What a great actor. Can't wait for THAT phonecall!
    Last edited by krisvds; 13-Nov-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Four continuities/issues bugged me?

1) When Michonne chopped up the 'entertainment', at least one she sliced down from the shoulder to the waste, but no signs of it still moving afterwards. Also, she didn't seem the slightest bit interested in putting them out of the their misery as most would simply be heads sitting their still animated on the ground. Surely she would have just gone around head putting her sword in it?

2) When Rick shot the zombie in the mouth, the gun was at best level if not pointing down... How would then destroy the brain? Guess the blast might have? Why not just point the gun up!?

3) As already mentioned? Everyone forget about Carol?

4) Little confused by Lori's body? So Carl hadn't shot her? So the body had animated and wondered off? And the zombie nearby? Confused!?!

EDIT: See (4) has been discussed. The idea she was consumed is just daft! There would be boned etc at least? Or are we assuming all this was dragged off? I think just a bloody messy skull, a upper torso (rib cage + mess) would have been better in the scene!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    I Dont understand the confusion over lori's body?

As soon as i saw it was missing i took it that carl either missed or couldnt bring himself to shoot her in the head and shes crawling around somewhere..

Of course the idea that the entire body (bones and all) is consumed is totally ridicilous, im suprised some of you guys could even think that?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I Dont understand the confusion over lori's body?

As soon as i saw it was missing i took it that carl either missed or couldnt bring himself to shoot her in the head and shes crawling around somewhere..

Of course the idea that the entire body (bones and all) is consumed is totally ridicilous, im suprised some of you guys could even think that?
    That's what I half understood, but it seems Mr Nicotero doesn't agree with you/us. On the previous page (of the thread - #19) it seems the body has been consumed, hence Rick taking his anger out on the belly of that zombie?!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Knocked up some memes for this episode, enjoy:

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...king-dead.html

This one's wide, so either scroll sideways, or perhaps it'd be easier to view it separately here:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1usSziIrk7...1_DeadShed.jpg

Now onto some chit-chat:

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You seem to have read a lot more of the notebook than I did(never noticed the percentages and such), but I was under the impression that the list of names were people they had lost. When Penny died, that's when he fully snapped.
    I freeze-framed. Not in HD, so I couldn't see everything, but I made out what I could. Yeah ... I'm a bit obsessive.

Good call on the list though, I hadn't quite twigged on that - that definitely makes a lot of sense. Good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Now the Carol being alive speculation is something that even next week's previews seemed to support that theory, with Daryl discovering Carol's knife somewhere seemingly indicative of her not having died in the prison. Which is exactly the question they seem to want us to be asking ourselves. Personally I think it was a mistake to turn Carol's survival/death into a mystery instead of tying it definitively then and there to T-Dog's sacrifice, but I'm willing to sit back and wait and see how they handle it. Who knows, it may be just the springboard needed to push Daryl into a more prominent/proactive position. Rick certainly isn't going to be calm, composed and seeing to his responsibilities anytime soon. Understandable, but I wish they'd kept going in the crushing regret direction of his reaction instead of going into feral fury almost instantly thereafter. Not saying it didn't make for some cool scenes, just that a bit more buildup to the explosion/meltdown/rageout woulda been appreciated.
    It does feel weird that nobody really searched for her body - a bit of a plot hole there (the episode had a few of them) - I can definitely see Daryl being pushed more front-and-centre at the moment though. As they've said, Daryl is happy being #2 and not in charge, but here he has to take the lead, we saw it in him taking on the search for baby supplies, and then he full-on took hold of l'il asskicker and fed her, so maybe he's going to pushed centre stage and see how he deals with it.

I'm assuming that Carol's grave is just for show - they took some dirt and created a mound on top of the grass ... however, Glenn did order Axel and Oscar to dig "two more" after he'd already done one ... so again, another plot hole. However, yes, I'd say Carol's grave is for show only.

I'm wondering if Carol's getting a bit of a trial-by-fire herself, kind of like Andrea got when she was accidentally left behind ... might we see Carol becoming more of a warrior woman? Might she become Daryl's right hand woman? We never saw Andrew's body and he turned up again - we've not seen Carol's body, so she's going to turn up. It could be that she's trapped somewhere in the prison, or has barricaded herself in somewhere (a cell, possibly).

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Pleasantly surprised I made it into the thread this week before anyone referred to a woman on the show as a whore...that hardly ever happens anymore.

Decent episode for a reset, but I agree it was somewhat muddled. Nice to have an episode where they don't lean so heavily on action and the shock of loss to carry the length of the running time, but they need to look at these episodes as not just component parts of a seasonal arc.
    1) Aye - there's some rather questionable comments on occasion relating to certain female characters here.

2) Watched the 'after show' bonus segment for The Talking Dead on YouTube last night and Nicotero spoke of several deleted scenes. One where we see a walker shuffling through a field, and then falling out of view (into a trap), another where Maggie breaks down and tells Daryl what happened, and then realising that Daryl's "lost" Carol too, and they have a moment, and there was at least one more which showed Michonne further exploring The Governor's flat (looking at the books he's reading etc) - so that would explain some of the apparent lack in connective tissue here and there, however none of those explain any of the little plot holes where greater attention needed to be paid to the details.

Indeed, this does raise a concern that they're cramming too much into each episode. Yes, we don't want low-content episodes like the front-seven of season 2, but we also need enough time to process what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Four continuities/issues bugged me?

1) When Michonne chopped up the 'entertainment', at least one she sliced down from the shoulder to the waste, but no signs of it still moving afterwards. Also, she didn't seem the slightest bit interested in putting them out of the their misery as most would simply be heads sitting their still animated on the ground. Surely she would have just gone around head putting her sword in it?

2) When Rick shot the zombie in the mouth, the gun was at best level if not pointing down... How would then destroy the brain? Guess the blast might have? Why not just point the gun up!?

3) As already mentioned? Everyone forget about Carol?

4) Little confused by Lori's body? So Carl hadn't shot her? So the body had animated and wondered off? And the zombie nearby? Confused!?!

EDIT: See (4) has been discussed. The idea she was consumed is just daft! There would be boned etc at least? Or are we assuming all this was dragged off? I think just a bloody messy skull, a upper torso (rib cage + mess) would have been better in the scene!
    1) Michonne didn't bother killing the heads of the three walkers she took on in the first episode in that shop, so it would stand to reason that she's only taking out the immediate threat of the other walkers - deactivating them relatively speaking - just in terms of messing up Woodbury's little experiement/entertainment/whatever-it-appears-to-be-to-her-at-the-time. However, aye, it's one of those little plot holes that seemed to crop up a few times in this episode.

2) I thought about that too, the angle was off. No doubt just a mistake on-set and they didn't have time to re-shoot it (IIRC the blood gush was practical), and with only 8 days to shoot each episode, they've gotta move on and let a little detail like that go ... but yeah, a bit off. Perhaps there was some ricochet or whatever, but yeah...

3) It is slightly strange, isn't it? I think everyone's just assuming, and being that T-Dog was barely recognisable, they're assuming the same for Carol ... but again, it feels a bit odd - perhaps there was an explanation that was lost in a deleted scene? There seems to have been numerous moments that were cut-for-time.

4) As explained somewhere earlier in the thread, Nicotero explained that the dead body had been dragged elsewhere by that walker and consumed - now, I'm assuming that, similar to T-Dog, there's part of a carcass somewhere (which was possibly removed by the others for burial), but we don't see it, so it is a rather confusing telling of that issue. It doesn't read in an entirely sensible manner. The walker might be utterly bloated, but it can't consume an entire human being - you certainly can't eat all the bones FFS! Plus - why would a walker bother to drag a body away? They eat where they find it, there's no 10-second-rule for zombies.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Nov-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Dead

United States
    Personally, I think it's very possible that for whatever reason, AMC just wouldn't allow them to show a partially devoured woman that just gave birth. Maybe they felt it would turn their female viewers off too much. It wouldn't be the 1st time that the censors made a judgement call that doesn't seem to make complete sense. So the bloated walker and the blood trail were the best way to deal with that scene to keep the rest of it continuous while still complying with the censors. You have to consider too that when walkers eat people they continue to eat them after the heart stops and the brain dies. Lori had just been killed so there's really no difference between such a fresh kill and a live human that dies while being eaten. I would assume that walkers are attracted to the warm flesh. But maybe not even so much warm flesh because the deer that Andrew used to lure the walkers into the prison didn't look that fresh.
    Which brings up another strange aspect. How in the hell would Andrew ever have even killed that deer? He didn't have a range weapon. He had a fucking fire axe! So are we to assume that a dude who was presumably in prison for quite some time(there were comments alluding to the idea that Andrew was in there for murder) knows how to make traps out of very primitive materials that are capable of trapping deer in such a timely manner? Seems highly unlikely. Even less likely is the idea that he somehow stalked the deer and killed it with the axe. I can't remember offhand if it was a buck or a doe. A buck will fight if cornered, and doe are alot more cautious and more difficult to trap. The only possible way I could see him pulling this off would be to dig a pit and put a cover over it with a salt block in the center. Deer eat small young sappling plants mainly, and they're suckers for the salt blocks. But where would Andrew get a salt block, and how likely is it that he would know to use one? And unless he used scent blocker, it would've been some time before a deer approached that salt block. He seemed like a city thug, not some backwater homeboy that knows alot about hunting and trapping.
    Daryl tracked that buck for miles in season 1, and as we all know he's a very skilled hunter and tracker. But here's Andrew taking down an adult deer in place, with nothing but a fire axe?
    Last edited by babomb; 13-Nov-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: ..

Undisclosed
    Maybe that deer was already dead when he found it? Died of old age or a heart attack so to speak.

United States
    Ricks 'sheriff' gun bag in the gov's office. I don't think it's been brought up and I almost forgot about it. At first I thought that should have no attention to michonne but she did find Andrea with it. I guess if it was controversial for michonne she probably would have spoke up to Andrea.

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Maybe that deer was already dead when he found it? Died of old age or a heart attack so to speak.
    I thought about that. It didn't look that old though, I'd say maybe it was dead a week if that. It could also have just looked like that since it was likely a stuffed deer and not a real dead one. And if it was that old, would walkers still go after it like that? If it was just laying around dead in the prison yard, you'd think walkers would've already got to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Ricks 'sheriff' gun bag in the gov's office. I don't think it's been brought up and I almost forgot about it. At first I thought that should have no attention to michonne but she did find Andrea with it. I guess if it was controversial for michonne she probably would have spoke up to Andrea.
    Forgot about that. I think she was about to grab it when she heard the footsteps coming. It might play a role coming up. Like maybe the gov forces himself on Andrea in his quarters, and she takes the opportunity to grab it before she takes off? A little role reversal there from the comics.
    Last edited by babomb; 13-Nov-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: ..

Ireland
    Not a bad episode, but the pace has inevitably slowed a little. It was was more of a bridging episode anyway, so it can be forgiven.

However, there were some miss-steps in there, which have all been mention.

Have to say though, I'm getting tired of Michonne. The character is just too much on the stupid side to be enjoyable. And the samurai nerd wank is ridiculous. Andrea may be a stupid cow and fierce annoying, but at least she's a fairly realistic character. The other one is just silly.

Good to see Mozzer Governor get weirder. I wasn't sure if he would pull it of, but he's doing a good job.

Rick's gone mental! However, I can't believe that the producers have gone down the phone route already?

As for the Lori happy meal, I am just going to assume that other zombies pulled the rest of the carcass away.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Well the phone plotline in the comics was linked to Lori's death, so it's natural - now that Lori's joined the TWD roll call in the sky - that this plotline would enter the TV show.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of mentally imbalanced Rick. It's also good that they're taking elements from 'slower' portions of the comics that, generally, might not translate so well into multiple television episodes, and combining them in the current show in the right places.

It's definitely good, too, that this episode gave us a bit of a breather. You do have to bridge gaps, but you also need to have peaks and troughs. 3x04 wouldn't have been as crazy if 3x02 and 3x03 particularly hadn't been, relatively, more sedate (albeit with actiony bits - actually 3x02 had its fair share).

babomb makes a good point - we're all hardened horror heads, but the audience for the show is far wider in terms of taste. Indeed, I'm surprised - in a way - that it's still so popular with such gruesome gory moments happening all the time (gas mask zombie, for instance) ... Lori's death was extremely painful, and extremely sad, so it'd be a step too far to show her mangled corpse. We could stomach it, but it might be too much for other folks - and really, it's not necessary to show the mangled corpse ... now, if she'd never been eaten, it would have been nice to have a scene between Lincoln and a playing-dead Callies, but equally that would have been a bit grim as she'd be there with her belly sliced open, placenta slop all over the floor, not to mention her face all blown in from a bullet. It's a bit much really ... the only problem was that it wasn't telegraphed well enough to not make that whole scene a bit confusing - it's only through discussion here, with words from Nicotero after the fact that we've figured out a likely explanation.

Nicotero does a good job directing, but he definitely needs to pay stricter attention to various small details - "Cold Storage" had a few moments like that (the sudden appearance of a bunch of zombies after those guys were making so much noise walking down that alleyway, for instance) - so that's definitely an area for improvement for some folks working on TWD.

Over-the-piece, these are relatively small issues - sometimes we do lose sight of just how much they get right on this show. How many shows do you watch that don't inspire anywhere near as much passion in you? A fair few, no doubt, you enjoy them, but they don't have the same impact or ability to inspire as much discussion or obsession. They get a lot of things right with TWD ... a couple of folks have big problems with certain parts (or characters), but well, that's always going to be the case.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My apologies if it's been mentioned and I overlooked it, but did nobody else mention that one of the zombies in the arena scene was Stephen/Flyboy? I noticed he was very similar, but wasn't quite sure. I just saw an interview with Nicotero where he confirms it. Apparently one of the heads in The Governor's fish tank was also Ben Gardner's head from Jaws. I missed that one....

EDIT: Ha....there's Gardner's head. Top left fish tank, head on the right. Can't believe I missed that now that I see it...

Last edited by bassman; 13-Nov-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    My apologies if it's been mentioned and I overlooked it, but did nobody else mention that one of the zombies in the arena scene was Stephen/Flyboy? I noticed he was very similar, but wasn't quite sure. I just saw an interview with Nicotero where he confirms it. Apparently one of the heads in The Governor's fish tank was also Ben Gardner's head from Jaws. I missed that one....

EDIT: Ha....there's Gardner's head. Top left fish tank, head on the right. Can't believe I missed that now that I see it...

THX mentioned a Jaws reference, in a teasing way, a little while ago and I didn't notice it - well, I assumed that it'd be to do with the fish tanks and the heads, and I was looking for Ben Gardner's noggin, but didn't particularly notice it, but now you point it out specifically, yeah I had wondered if that was the one.

As for Flyboy zombie - I assume it's the little-seen one in the brown trousers and white shirt - we barely got a look at him, and as such the resemblance isn't really there to see. I think I recall Nicotero saying in an interview that they had to pretty much cut the Dawn reference from this episode, but that they were able to put a much better version of the reference into a later episode (3x15, I'm assuming) ... only time will tell.

Super Moderator

United States
    did nobody else mention that one of the zombies in the arena scene was Stephen/Flyboy? I noticed he was very similar, but wasn't quite sure. I just saw an interview with Nicotero where he confirms it. Apparently one of the heads in The Governor's fish tank was also Ben Gardner's head from Jaws.
    Thanks for pointing out both details, Bassman, I was unaware. Very cool!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany