Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone had surgery before?

Fresh Meat

Scotland

Happy to oblige Krakenslayer! Athough not at the time!
    Apparently, if I'd left it another day it could have burst and killed me.
    Oh, and I smoke so that was the the cause as well.
    The NHS is truly a sadistic organisation. They ran me a bath a few hours after I'd came round, open wound + very hot water = me scraped off the ceiling with a fish slice!!
    Still, I was back on my motorbike after the week, had to wear hospital issue fishnet pants to keep the packing in place, try explaining that if I'd crashed and the leathers were cut off!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidalsteve View Post

Happy to oblige Krakenslayer! Athough not at the time!
    Apparently, if I'd left it another day it could have burst and killed me.
    The NHS is truly a sadistic organisation. They ran me a bath a few hours after I'd came round, open wound + very hot water = me scraped off the ceiling with a fish slice!!
    Still, I was back on my motorbike after the week, had to wear hospital issue fishnet pants to keep the packing in place, try explaining that if I'd crashed and the leathers were cut off!
    Funniest shit ever.

Not at the time, I'm sure though.

What worries me a little bit is this:

...usually smokers get things like gum ulcers and mouth cancer so I dread to think what you've been doing with your lit cigarettes.

Fresh Meat

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Funniest shit ever.
    Didn't have a "funny shit" for quite a while!

The missus wasn't happy about my shower/bidet arrangement either!!

England
    Well,ive just had my first shower since the op & ive taken my dressings off,ive got frankenstein monster lines up either side of my groin!ive also got quite large areas of numbness around the crease of my leg & the wound sites which i hope im going to get some feeling back to as the nerves heal!if im permanently numb i wont be best pleased!
    other than that its getting easier to get myself up now & i feel ok in myself,lets hope im on the mend!Another thing im bothered about is that prior to the op i was in very good physical shape & hope im not going to lose all that in the weeks before i can start doing heavy exercise again!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Another thing im bothered about is that prior to the op i was in very good physical shape & hope im not going to lose all that in the weeks before i can start doing heavy exercise again!
    Whatever you do, DON'T be tempted to start exercise early! Or when you do, push too hard!

I won't go into details, but my brother came off the worse for exercising too soon after an op! Be careful...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Whatever you do, DON'T be tempted to start exercise early! Or when you do, push too hard!

I won't go into details, but my brother came off the worse for exercising too soon after an op! Be careful...
    Indeed. It's better to wait a smidge longer now, than suffer the consequences forever.

I'll be keeping that in mind when I get my op later this year, although I think it's less extensive than yours, Tricky.

And if you're in good physical shape, you'll bounce back easily I'd have thought, unless your body goes on strike Northern style and just melts like that dude in X-Men ... but I doubt it.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's better to wait a smidge longer now
    Is that related to a "midge"?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Dude, you did surgery on your own lower back and lung ("I had to operate" . . . "I operated")? That's hard core! Not to mention an impressive feat of contortionism in the case of the lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    If I were you I wouldn't be able to get over the fact that I had performed surgery on myself...
    !!!

Sorry guys. The word "operate" is the same in Swedish, but you use it differently. In Swedish, saying "I had to operate" is the most common way to use the word (Jag opererade...). I guess it just snuck in there.

I am no Rambo, unfortunetaly.

United States
    Here's wishing a very speedy but careful recovery!!!
    About8 years ago I was operated on for gallbladder surgery,simple enough they did the surgery off I went home same day. That was on a friday then sunday I was back in hospital in SCREAMING pain. They missed a extra "lusecka" duct which is very unusual and I had "bile" leaking all through my body. To make a long story short they operated that monday cutting me from beneath breastbone down to pelvic area. Took awhile to get back on my feet. So, I am telling YOU don't hurry it up,just do what doctors tell you and don't over do but don't under do either.
    What I am saying is dont lay on your butt constantly, you dont want to end up with pneumonia on top of what you already got but, move around abit too.
    JUST DON'T OVERDO!!
    Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better real real soon, my thoughts and prayers are with you!
    Listen to the Doctors!!!

Undisclosed
    I hate to say it dude, but you don't know pain.

I had a cyst in my scrotum (I was 13). Just for clarification, having your two veg squished by an ever enlarging cyst is no fun. Whatsoever. It took me a few days before I plucked up the courage to tell my stepdad (he's a doctor), and yes, that was embarrassing.

During that time I slept sat upright in a cross legged position with a pillow placed under my arse so that my balls (all three of them by this point) could hang free. I survived my schools bucket seats for three days with this, spent the entire time wishing for death, assuming that it was less painful then my sore sack.

Only 1 of two ops in my life (that I remember). The other was a heart op when I was less then a rugrat. The only reason why I even told my stepdad/family was because my uncle had a similar thing when he was a boy, cept he didn't tell anyone. Hence he was one testicle, and I still have two. My mum drilled that into me as soon as I could talk.
    Last edited by Dtothe3; 16-May-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Sorry guys. The word "operate" is the same in Swedish, but you use it differently. In Swedish, saying "I had to operate" is the most common way to use the word (Jag opererade...). I guess it just snuck in there.
    How interesting! Swedish is cool.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria