Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a brief movie review session

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i thought you just had gnomes that gifted you with cheese if you were good, or put acorns and thistles in your clogs if you were bad?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    but thats an outsider view, the long haired woman in white is called a yurie, a ghost who hasn't passed on, most likely due to some unresolved conflict, the appearance is invoking the old shinto traditions of dressing the dead in white to symbolize purity and the demonic disheveled hair of the people playing demons in kabuki theatre.

thats vague but i remember it along those lines from a paper i wrote a few years ago. it may seem cliche but thats what ghosts are over there, the people in the east probably roll there eye at the others and what lies beneath because our films are the same, only our folklore is pale people who lurk and leave messages, as opposed to the eastern counterpart were they out and out attack you.

sleep tight
    Yeah, I am aware of the folklore basis. But that still doesn't give a reason to overuse the same icon so much in a short period of time.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Yeah, I am aware of the folklore basis. But that still doesn't give a reason to overuse the same icon so much in a short period of time.
    but then what about how america does the same thing with twos?, like you get antz and a bugs life for example? surely thats gets annoying as much as the other from a different perspective?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    but then what about how america does the same thing with twos?, like you get antz and a bugs life for example? surely thats gets annoying as much as the other from a different perspective?
    I understand your point , but not a great example. Maybe if you mentioned white/black guy buddy pics. Or Unkillable stalking killer movies.

But still. . there were at least 5 or 6 horror movies out of asia with that particular ghost antagonist.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    They've been making those kinds of films in Japan since the 70's! It's. Just. What. They. Do! Guy, that's like talking about remakes to Lone Wolf and Cub or something. Get over it!