Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300: Rise of an Empire (film)

Administrator

England
    The reviews sadly aren't that great, suggesting it's a somewhat mediocre affair - http://www.colesmithey.com/reviews/2...an-empire.html

There is no pleasure to be taken from Themistocles’s winning strategy because Sullivan Stapleton’s portrayal is so painfully flat. Instead we wait patiently for Artemisia to return to the screen for her final curtain call. Eva Green so outclasses the brittle source material and plodding storytelling beneath her that rather than elevate the film, she abandons it.

C+
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I saw this last night. Whilst I did like it, I dunno...
    I missed Gerard. This guy kind of paled in comparison. Also, not sure how long it is, but I was ready for it to be over awhile before it actually was. Not a bad movie, very gory, but definitely lots of slow mo shots. Slow mo of oars paddling in the water?!?
    I could've done without it. I will say it was nice to watch it in a crowd, doubt it was all that in 3D, though.
    Ehhhhhhhhh, see it if you must. I did, but my kid was bugging me to watch that The Wind Rises crap instead, so I win.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I saw this last night. Whilst I did like it, I dunno...
    I missed Gerard. This guy kind of paled in comparison. Also, not sure how long it is, but I was ready for it to be over awhile before it actually was. Not a bad movie, very gory, but definitely lots of slow mo shots. Slow mo of oars paddling in the water?!?
    I could've done without it. I will say it was nice to watch it in a crowd, doubt it was all that in 3D, though.
    Ehhhhhhhhh, see it if you must. I did, but my kid was bugging me to watch that The Wind Rises crap instead, so I win.
    I've heard it's good in 3D... I'm going to see it Tuesday.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    We read a few more reviews, and in the end decide to skip it as the general feedback was so poor!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Ehhhh, thinking back, it wasn't horrible. I didn't want to give that impression.
    I would now like to use my Teen Wolf/Teen Wolf, Too comparisons here, if I may. Both are great movies in their own right. The first, of course, has Michael J.
    Hard to top THE guy in the role, but Jason adds his own freckly cheeked randiness to the equation the second go around. Unfortunately, the first is so kickass as to be undefeatable. Damn, I love those movies...

It(300 II) was actually pretty to look at. I also liked how blades just cut through people like butter.
    I keep meaning to find a way to rewatch the first one, I'm just too lazy to drive across town to rent it.
    Anyhoo, I didn't want to discourage anyone on my account of it. Who knows? Maybe I've just had Teen Wolf on my mind, and was just desperately searching for somewhere to hammer it in there, and make 'er fit.
    Mind the splinters.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I would now like to use my Teen Wolf/Teen Wolf, Too comparisons here, if I may.
    I've been waiting over 20 years to read these words from someone...anyone.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany