Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Romero's next to be The Zombie Autopsies?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bd2999 View Post
    I loved the original movies and have not liked the newer ones much. I think Survival and Diary could have been really good movies actually but sort of lost their way. Especially Survival which I liked better than Diary.

That said I notice a backlash against message in movies. Honestly, most of the greatest horror movies are about something. They are expressing something else and either demonstrating the horror of it or using it as a vehicle to say something else. Wether it be a commentary on human nature, politics of the time or thoughts on any number of other things. This sort of thing typically gives a movie a heart and soul. The movie still has to be good to even care what it says about any of those but to seperate a movie from that sort of thing is to make it lifeless and lack staying power IMO.

Many horror fans will look back very fondly at earlier films, even if they were not around to see them initially, but really dislike modern movies. The message can be very overhanded but that does not mean it is bad in and of itself.
    theres using a message to push a story.

then there is poorely constructing a story around a message.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    In a recent interview wit io9 Romero reveals that he has optioned the rights to the book "The Zombie Autopsies" and is currently scripting in hopes of turning it into a film. Of course he needs some sort of ham-fisted message and this time it's zombie economics...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bd2999 View Post
    I loved the original movies and have not liked the newer ones much. I think Survival and Diary could have been really good movies actually but sort of lost their way. Especially Survival which I liked better than Diary.

That said I notice a backlash against message in movies. Honestly, most of the greatest horror movies are about something. They are expressing something else and either demonstrating the horror of it or using it as a vehicle to say something else. Wether it be a commentary on human nature, politics of the time or thoughts on any number of other things. This sort of thing typically gives a movie a heart and soul. The movie still has to be good to even care what it says about any of those but to seperate a movie from that sort of thing is to make it lifeless and lack staying power IMO.

Many horror fans will look back very fondly at earlier films, even if they were not around to see them initially, but really dislike modern movies. The message can be very overhanded but that does not mean it is bad in and of itself.

Please do not think I personally am against message in film, or subtext. I love it. I love the use of classic story telling techniques in film, and I really want my fiction to be smart fiction that offers more than men walking away from explosion and lot's of car chase scenes.

That said if it is obvious and overt it is not subtext, and if you force the issue it just hurts... ask any woman about anal. She knows what I mean here... you have to ease the message in you can't go ramming it in there.

((If you do not like my analogy you could see Danny's post he explained it much more succinctly than I)
    Last edited by Thorn; 25-Oct-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: to add...

United States
    Ohhh, I get it. It's like paying taxes. Some governmental taxes gradually stick it to ya, while other taxes or legislation are just rammed into ya. And in the same place too amazingly enough. Got it.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 25-Oct-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    Ohhh, I get it. It's like paying taxes. Some governmental taxes gradually stick it to ya, while other taxes or legislation are just rammed into ya. And in the same place too amazingly enough. Got it.
    I think that illustrates how some people feel pretty well, Ragnarr.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    On subtext: a black man wh gets brutally murdered by rednecks, zombies shambling through a mall and a military man who threatens scientists while the undead wlak the earth is hardly subtext. Those initial dead films were way better than the recent ones but were just as in your face.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    In a new interview with Twitchfilm, Romero says he's still working on this as well as a comic for Marvel?...

"I am in fact adapting a novel right now, and it is a zombie novel, but it's not my kind of zombies. It's a novel called THE ZOMBIE AUTOPSIES written by a Harvard medical doctor. It's a wonderful book and I'm having a wonderful time adapting it into a screenplay. I am also working on an original story, which I guess if I had to categorize it, I would say it's a psychological thriller. it's....mmm, Psycho like? But it's not really. I don't know how to tell you anything more without giving it away. But in reality I don't actually know for sure what the next one is going to be. It often comes up out of the blue. You just don't know which one the money is going to come through for. I am also writing a comic for Marvel. I'm writing it now, but it's plot is a secret."
    http://twitchfilm.com/2012/10/here-c...lund-ifff.html

So maybe the recent "Road of the Dead" we've heard about was just rumors?