Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: THE END OF THE WORLD: OCTOBER 21st, 2011 EVERYBODY PANIC! (Zombies)

United States
    Rapture come & gone. Everyone still here. Huh...

Maybe this is what went wrong:

Last edited by MoonSylver; 21-May-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: more

Administrator

England
    What's the old doofus come up with as his explanation?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What's the old doofus come up with as his explanation?
    From ABC news:

Harold Camping, the California preacher who became omnipresent in the publicity blitz over his prediction of the end of the world, today was nowhere to be found after it became clear that the Rapture wasn't happening...
    ...There has been no sign of Camping since the supposed Rapture came and went, and his home in Alameda, Calif., has been deserted.

United States
    Why do I get the distinct impression that it's going to turn out that Mr. Camping and family are going to be located with millions of dollars in stolen "Family Radio Worldwide" funds and fake ID's and passports? Hmm....

I'm waiting on the film, personally. It should be entertaining!

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Administrator

England
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13489641

Robert Fitzpatrick, a retired transportation agency worker in New York, said he had spent more than $140,000 (£86,000) of his savings on advertisements in the run-up to 21 May to publicise the prediction.

After 1800 passed and nothing had happened, he said: "I do not understand why... I do not understand why nothing has happened."

"I can't tell you what I feel right now. Obviously, I haven't understood it correctly because we're still here."
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Howdy hpotd family stop

Hear none of you were raptured this weekend stop

Will plead your cases with St. Peter and Yahweh over game of bocce ball stop

Khardis says 'hello' stop

Stay Scared (haha) stop

--Aces

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    ::sighs::
    As someone who values my faith, it always PISSES ME OFF when some asshat comes along and makes anything even vaguely Judeo-Christian seem ridiculous. Ironically, the very people who yell the loudest about wanting to convince people to come to Jesus are ALSO the people who make faith seem about as desirable an attribute as the clap.

Guess this old lunatic in his hours and hours of poring over The Literal Word of God failed to recall this little codicil:
    "No man shall know the day or the hour...." (paraphrasing and not completing the quote because I don't remember how the rest of it goes exactly, and don't want to offend anyone).

Know the old saying "Religion is Man's attempt to reach God, but Faith is God's attempt to reach Man"? "Predicting" the end of the world is a useful shearing tool for fleecing a gullible flock. On the other hand, someone who points out something along the lines of "If you believe in a Created Universe, it's certain that eventually the Creator of said Universe will decide to call it a day, so it might be a good idea to just go ahead and lead an honest life in which you give of yourself to those in need, and be there for those you love" is just talking good sense IMHO.

Unfortunately, the 2nd concept isn't nearly as effective in filling the collection plate.
    Lastly, as for those gullible enough to blow their life savings on contributions to this fraud and advertisements of said fraud's "Prediction", there is an old saying for them as well.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

One more time ::sighs::, as fundamentalists turn something genuine and precious into something worthy of mockery.
    /rant over.

England
    Was just reading some guy charged 250 people $150 to look after their pets after the rapture, with a strict no refunds policy.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Was just reading some guy charged 250 people $150 to look after their pets after the rapture, with a strict no refunds policy.
    Sheesh! TBH, they deserve it!

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

The date is now Oct 21st!

Anybody want some pets looked after post Oct 21st?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13516796
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    He'd said all along the End Of the World was Oct 21st. The Rapture was the event that was supposed to occur this weekend. Way to cop out though.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    He'd said all along the End Of the World was Oct 21st. The Rapture was the event that was supposed to occur this weekend. Way to cop out though.
    Oh! And there was me thinking it was all a bunch of made up hogwash!
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Boy, I bet your face is red!

United States
    Hey, just pointing out the technicalities. The Devil is in the details. Now THIS is the part that is REALLY utter hogwash (not that the rest isn't...)

Over the weekend, he said, he had returned to the scripture and it had "dawned" on him that a "merciful and compassionate God" would spare humanity by compressing the apocalyptic destruction into a shorter time frame.

And honestly, the guy deserves a good ass kicking for this comment when asked what about all the people who sold/gave away everything in preparation of "the big event"

"We just had a great recession. There's lots of people who lost their jobs, lots of people who lost their houses... and somehow they all survived," he said.

"We're not in the business of giving any financial advice," he added.

"We're in the business of telling people maybe there is someone you can talk to, and that's God."
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 25-May-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: ?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    And honestly, the guy deserves a good ass kicking for this comment when asked what about all the people who sold/gave away everything in preparation of "the big event"....
    While I agree that the guy is a douchebag, I can't possibly be angry over this. It's funny. It's not his fault these people clinged to his word like some sort of freakish cult. It's their own damn fault for being stupid enough to part with their belongings as if it would make anything easier when Rapture came(but didn't).

Why get rid of your things, anyway? If you honestly believe the world is going to end, what does it matter if your things are still sitting in your house? They're going to burn and melt in the lake of fire like the rest of the world....

I simply cannot wait until October 22. He'd better start panning an excuse of epic proportions...
    Last edited by bassman; 25-May-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    While I agree that the guy is a douchebag, I can't possibly be angry over this. It's funny. It's not his fault these people clinged to his word like some sort of freakish cult. It's their own damn fault for being stupid enough to part with their belongings as if it would make anything easier when Rapture came(but didn't).
    Not saying I don't agree, but if you make a prediction & people BELIEVE you & it doesn't come true, somehow "oops, my bad" & "tough shit" do not seem like adequate responses. There's a certain level of smug hubris coupled with a lack of willing to take any culpability or accountability there I find highly irritating.