Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek II (film) - J.J. Abrams

Administrator

England
    The accents seem better in this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7gK6gF8sh4

To understand just how impressive this is... Watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edC4DzI1y0w
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Was that David Spade playing Spock in the "we'll fit" sequence?

United States
    I'd rather watch that than Abrams crap! At least I enjoyed this one. I'll be glad when he goes & starts making Star Wars movies, which is what he's rather be doing anyway, & then maybe there'll be no more of this f'ing series. Some one called the 1st one "The best of the new "Star Wars" movies!" the other day. Well played sir, well played.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well, it's left me worried about Star Wars!

The film felt very flat and contrived... I happened to watch "The Wrath of Khan" a few weeks ago on TV, and I have to say it felt a far more solid production than this affair.

Yes it was extremely pretty, but take the flashy coat of paint away there's not a lot else there. The characters felt painfully flat!

A very average paint by numbers summer flick!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Pretty much how I felt about the first one.

I just don't share the current nerdgasm about Abrams at all. I can see the new Star Wars films being real dull.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    He might do much better with Star Wars, but even with the first Star Trek, I really got the vibe off of it that it was made by someone who'd rather be doing something else...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Pretty much how I felt about the first one.
    Yeh, there really didn't seem any real 'love' in there with the story just plodding along from A to B to C just ticking off the necessary stepping stones to get there.

*spoilers* *SPOILERS* *spoilers*

Action felt like just that, and ultimately meaningless. Characters felt pretty flat and generally disposable. Consider Jim's death... It felt absolutely flat. Compare it to Spock's death and funeral in The Wrath of Khan and it's comical!

And this lack of care about anyone on the screen was especially true of the non-main characters: Consider all the poor Klingons just going about their business, all shot and killed... Consider all the crew on Admiral Marcus' super ship, all just cannon fodder when they were just doing their job. Care? No!

Also consider all the daftness:-
    1) If a ring in a glass of water can blow up a whole building, why not throw a ring in a glass of water at the Star Fleet meeting?
    2) If a ring in a glass of water can blow up a whole building, surely just ONE photon torpedo is enough to take up a man. Why the need for 72?
    3) Why were Jim and Bones even in the alien village? Surely the shuttle could just fly into the volcano at night? Why risk being captured?
    4) Why did the enterprise need to be under water and not in orbit?
    5) Why did Jim and Khan need to fly through space? What's wrong with shuttles?
    6) So the super duper secret base... you could just fly upto it and fly in... Hmmm...
    7) So the super duper new space ship, being manned by just a few people... Why make it soooooo big for noooooo reason?
    8) Injecting blood into dead Tribbles is a tried and tested medical testing procedure?
    etc...
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Hang on...

They kill Jim Kirk? WTF

Administrator

England
    ^^ Yes, and I doubt a single person watching gave a f***. Consider the equivalent death scene/funeral in "The Wrath of Khan", and that actually is a bit moving!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Oh, that's just really bad writing...

United States
    I liked it. While it was nowhere NEAR the original WoK, I had a good time with it. They seem to kind of carry the same camp vibe as the original, too.
    Over two hours, but it didn't feel like it.
    Wonder if/what the third will be about/like. Some things changed, some things were turned topsy turvy.
    Also, Spock being all snooty with his new co-1st Officer. Lolz!!!
    Will say I missed Montalban, but how can you replace THAT guy? And I was kind of disappointed the slug thing they put in Chekov's ear didn't make an appearance. Those things were one of the best parts of the original.
    Last edited by rongravy; 20-May-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: .......yeah.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Will say I missed Montalban, but how can you replace THAT guy? And I was kind of disappointed the slug thing they put in Chekov's ear didn't make an appearance. Those things were one of the best parts of the original.
    Nero put a similar slug into Pike's ear in the previous film, so I can see why they didn't do that.

I thought Benedict was an odd choice to play Khan. At least Ricardo you could pretend was indian. But Benedict? Not in the least. His Khan was also a lot less gloating and smug. He was just cold and furious.

Administrator

England
    For me the whole script just felt too contrived.... Yes I enjoyed it, but it was disposable rather than memorable?
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    It felt like a season finale rather then a movie.