Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The best Zombie film?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jimis View Post
    Ok - I'm cool to agree to disagree. I'm not a big fan of the original Dawn'.... I don't think it works as a sequal to Night' (of course, you can argue that it not be a sequel - that's a different thread all together ) but I'll never expect the majority of my fellow Zombie-Flick fans to agree....

But as for the phase "rip-off". Surely you mean "homage".

It was co-written by one of the producers of Night'! That must be worth some thing....

Yeah, it shows that Romero was the brains behind Night. The other guys just basically got a free ride. I mean....ROTLD shows that.....

On the other hand, Dan Obannon co-wrote the original "Alien" and then went on to direct ROTLD. I guess they were shooting for a crappy film...

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Yeah, it shows that Romero was the brains behind Night. The other guys just basically got a free ride. I mean....ROTLD shows that.....

On the other hand, Dan Obannon co-wrote the original "Alien" and then went on to direct ROTLD. I guess they were shooting for a crappy film...
    Are you saying "Wrote Alien" is not a good thing to have on your CV? one of the most original sci films of all time?
    also on Mr O'Bannon's CV:
    Starwars - SFX Crew (Better hide that one!)
    Total Recall - Writer (Thank god no one remembers that one 16 years on)
    The Resurrected - Director (What does this man know about zombies?)
    Blue Thunder - Writer (ahhhh. errrmmmm. no comment. )

any way... the film is good and is full of proven talent! And a naked girl. genius!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Are you saying "Wrote Alien" is not a good thing to have on your CV? one of the most original sci films of all time?
    also on Mr O'Bannon's CV:
    Starwars - SFX Crew (Better hide that one!)
    Total Recall - Writer (Thank god no one remembers that one 16 years on)
    The Resurrected - Director (What does this man know about zombies?)
    Blue Thunder - Writer (ahhhh. errrmmmm. no comment. )

any way... the film is good and is full of proven talent! And a naked girl. genius!
    no no no.....I was saying that "Alien" is such a great film and ROTLD is ummm.....crap(IMO).

I'm sorry. I tried giving ROTLD a chance. I really did. It's just complete crap to me. I can understand why someone would like it for the cheesey, 80's, nostalgia kind of vibe, but to call it a great film(or even a good) film is just absurd.

But everyone has their own opinions....

Dead

Undisclosed
    Return of the Living Dead stinks.....it's a 'knock off' Rolex....

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Return of the Living Dead stinks.....it's a 'knock off' Rolex....
    ....this is a cheap ripoff of his work.
    Now come on! I don't understand why you call it that? I'm not bothered that people think it's crap (each to there own), but to claim it's a rip-off....?

So does that make all zombie films that reference the dead tetralogy, in any way, a rip off?

The word is "Homage". come on... say it with me it's not that hard. you don't have to like the film.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Now come on! I don't understand why you call it that? I'm not bothered that people think it's crap (each to there own), but to claim it's a rip-off....?

So does that make all zombie films that reference the dead tetralogy, in any way, a rip off?

The word is "Homage". come on... say it with me it's not that hard. you don't have to like the film.....
    In most cases, yes....I would say homage. But ROTLD(the original book) was meant as a continuation of Night's story(as I've been told) and when it was translated to film, it still kept that. I mean, they say the bodies are from Night, for pete's sake!

Now, if the movie had followed Night's mythology a little more closesly, it could be paying homage. On the other hand, MORE people could be calling it a rip off if that were the case. Either way, it's going to have people that don't like it.

Instead of following Night more closely, which they should have done being that it was an attempted sequel, they tried taking Night's name, throw it into the film here and there(even in the trailer ), bring people to the film by referencing Night, and then totally sh*t on what the original film was about.

That, my friend, is a rip off. Homage would be "Shaun of the Dead".

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    In most cases, yes....I would say homage. But ROTLD(the original book) was meant as a continuation of Night's story(as I've been told) and when it was translated to film, it still kept that. I mean, they say the bodies are from Night, for pete's sake!

Now, if the movie had followed Night's mythology a little more closesly, it could be paying homage. On the other hand, MORE people could be calling it a rip off if that were the case. Either way, it's going to have people that don't like it.

Instead of following Night more closely, which they should have done being that it was an attempted sequel, they tried taking Night's name, throw it into the film here and there(even in the trailer ), bring people to the film by referencing Night, and then totally sh*t on what the original film was about.

That, my friend, is a rip off. Homage would be "Shaun of the Dead".

I was gonna let this little meeting of mind lie, but I can't! In fact. I gonna make a statement that you ain't gonna like....

RotLD is a more appropriate sequael to NotLD than Dawn' is

Return' claims that the story got all mixed up and that the film "NotLD" was a version of the truth. The true story was that it was a small scale outbreak of a chemical mishap that was contained by the military, with the zombies being completely imortal (even incineration only makes the problem worse) they canned the Zombies and hid them away....
    the film was a double bluff to convince the public it was a hoax (a bit like the Roswell double-triple-quadruple bluff)

Dawn', on the other hand, starts with society on the brink of colapse. Thats where it falls over! How do stumbling, shuffling, mindless corpses take over the world? One man can take out hundreds of them single handed. How can there be any link between the end of Night' (Drunk rednecks cleaning up the little problem with obvious ease) and the start of 'Dawn (squads of highly trained soldiers and police getting there arses kicked by a few blue faced ghouls)

it just don't add up....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    ROTLD was pretty much 0% Russo, which is probably why it didn't suck ass. Dan O'Bannon is a damn fine writer, and proved with ROTLD that he's also a damn fine director. The long takes, the excellent acting (won't find any better in any zombie film), quirky moments and even the night photography is really great.

ROTLD is a masterpiece.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was gonna let this little meeting of mind lie, but I can't! In fact. I gonna make a statement that you ain't gonna like....

RotLD is a more appropriate sequael to NotLD than Dawn' is

Return' claims that the story got all mixed up and that the film "NotLD" was a version of the truth. The true story was that it was a small scale outbreak of a chemical mishap that was contained by the military, with the zombies being completely imortal (even incineration only makes the problem worse) they canned the Zombies and hid them away....
    the film was a double bluff to convince the public it was a hoax (a bit like the Roswell double-triple-quadruple bluff)

Dawn', on the other hand, starts with society on the brink of colapse. Thats where it falls over! How do stumbling, shuffling, mindless corpses take over the world? One man can take out hundreds of them single handed. How can there be any link between the end of Night' (Drunk rednecks cleaning up the little problem with obvious ease) and the start of 'Dawn (squads of highly trained soldiers and police getting there arses kicked by a few blue faced ghouls)

it just don't add up....
    This is what Romero's films are all about. We CAN take down the zombies and keep it under control. That's the point. The thing is.....we can't due to our own selfish bickering and lack of cooperation. The humans are the antagonists.

capncnut

Re: Dawn, Dawn, Dawn

I go with the majority on this one. The original 1978 Dawn Of The Dead is by far the most colossal zombie flick of all time. The atmosphere of that movie physically buzzes me out!

Dead

Undisclosed
    Return of the Living Dead is a cheap knock off. I guess they'd have more credibility if they didn't have Parts 1 thru 18 like those awful the Friday the 13th Series. That really makes them look like a series of cheap hookers. I didn't say I don't like it. In fact, I own the first one. I'll take Dawn or Day any time. Speaking of Day, has anyone ever watched Day' on high definition? What a difference! First time I could ever tell exactly where Bub actually shoots Rhodes in the end! What a difference!

28 Days later is now considered a "zombie flick"? How can that be, aren't they technically alive, just infected with that 'anger' disease that's passed from one person to another in a matter of seconds? (only saw it once, wasn't that thrilled).

United States

Day HD?!

You mean you watched an HD DVD release of Day? Or you watched the Divimax DVD on an HD TV? Cuz if there's an HD version of it, I want it! I know Land is now out on HD, or maybe it's Blu-ray.
    xxxopher
    -There's Always Another Level-
    www.xxxopher.com

Dead

Undisclosed
    Sorry to get your hopes up, I watched Divimax DVD on an HD TV. That's a good question, I don't know if they've released a copy of Day that's in HD yet. I've had this DVD for a while.

Undisclosed
    Yeah, I agree with you on that one. Dawn Remake did a great job of the Zombie uprising, now imagine that 8 minute scene for a full 90 minute film, it would blow you away.
    I wonder...could this be done in New York with a social commentary of certain events a few years ago? Hmmm...would be interesting. Especially fitting in all the conspiracy theory stuff that's been showing up recently, but within the context of the film...but there should be no definative 'how did it happen' explanation...i like the mysterious zombies better...

Shameless self promotion for something completely unrelated to zombies.