Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What TV show boxsets are a must?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Spaced
    THIS!

If you don't own this, you need it. Now.

I can't believe I forgot about Spaced - probably one of my all-time favorite shows. I even imported the UK version before the US version was released. Still no idea why Kevin Smith does a commentary on the US version, but alas, don't care as long as I own the series.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not a Spaced fan... I honestly don't see the appeal of the show, yet I enjoy Shaun of the Dead.

Go Figure.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That is strange. It's hard for me to picture a movie geek such as yourself not liking Spaced. I mean....the entire show is one long comedic list of movie references. Maybe you prefer Shaun just because it has zombies?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Most likely... as I am not a fan of Hot Fuzz
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Most likely... as I am not a fan of Hot Fuzz

i love hot fuzz and its generally a much better made film than shaun, it did action just right and got me hopeful that Edgar could get Cera's ass actually acting in Scott Pilgrim vs the world.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    get Cera's ass actually acting
    I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you.

But yeah....Hot Fuzz is great. In fact, all of Wright's work has been great so far.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I found HF to just be a re-hash of Shaun without zombies, and from what I hear from Spaced fans Shaun is mostly a re-hash of Spaced.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    While I don't think Hot Fuzz is as good a film as Shaun of the Dead, in that it's overlong and indulgent ... it's still really funny, and has a cool premise - essentially Bad Boys 2, Lethal Weapon, et al ... in semi-rural England.

Shaun is god-like, nuff said.

Spaced is seriously awesome, but it's more than just a list of movie references. I didn't see it when it originally aired, but got into it on DVD, and I think it speaks loudest to those in their 20s. It's a funky, creative, and breathless take on the traditional British sitcom, and indeed it became something unto itself ... in a school of one, and is still a stand-out show.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Spaced is seriously awesome, but it's more than just a list of movie references. I didn't see it when it originally aired, but got into it on DVD, and I think it speaks loudest to those in their 20s. It's a funky, creative, and breathless take on the traditional British sitcom, and indeed it became something unto itself ... in a school of one, and is still a stand-out show.
    I wasn't trying to put it down with the reference statement. Although you've got to admit that it's probably got more references than any show in history.

Probably the greatest thing about Spaced is that it portrayed 20 to 30somethings in a correct light. The characters were like all the 20 year olds I know or knew at the time. Tim and Daisy talked like we did and lived like we did. For the most part, anyway. It wasn't some bullshit watered down version of people like Friends.

As for Spaced/Shaun/Fuzz being rehashes of each other.....I definitely don't see that. Same creative team but the stories and characters are all totally different...
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Feb-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, didn't think you were putting it down - in fact I knew you wouldn't be - but was just saying for the benefit of those who haven't seen it.

Yeah, for all Spaced's weirdness and action and so on, it really does feel like what its like to be a 20-something, or parts of it do anyway, with the rest being rather entertaining. I guess a whole range of people can relate to all different aspects of it.

Indeed, one of the main purposes in Shaun of the Dead, was to picture a guy (Shaun) at the point he goes from being a 20-something childish adult, to a 30 year old adult ... albeit in the frame of a zombie apocalypse. Indeed, the death of Nick Frost's character represents the death of his childish 20's ... ... I wrote a whole essay about these issues at uni actually, covering Swingers and Shaun of the Dead.

United States
    Get The Man's Boxset of Home Improvement.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    good call. I love that show and always watch reruns.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Not a Spaced fan... I honestly don't see the appeal of the show, yet I enjoy Shaun of the Dead.

That's because you've never sat down and watched the show even thought I've tried to get you to do so on many occasions, you dunce.

It's how you say Hot Fuzz wasn't as great as Shaun 'cause the jokes were the same - well, many of the jokes and gags in Shaun were basically pulled from Spaced. Spaced is the foundation for these two flicks for sure.

Tell you what, I'll watch The Wire when you watch Spaced.

MZ - not sure about that "speaks loudest to those in their 20s" - Maybe so, but dude, I'm 38 and I think Spaced was side-splittingly funny.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Feb-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    That's because you've never sat down and watched the show even thought I've tried to get you to do so on many occasions, you dunce.
    OHHH! The truth is finally revealed.

Gary's hating just to hate...

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye fair play, it speaks to a lot of people. Heck, my dad really enjoyed Spaced, and he's in his sixties.