Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your favorite scene in Dawn?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I interpret it as when from the moment Roger died the whole dynamic changed. They wew very meloncholy. That much is indiputable. Now, as to the reasons why they felt this way, that is certainly up for debate. I thought it might have been because of roger's death perhaps. The wild rollercoaster ride seemed to end with his death and the whole we can take em'/ invincible thing went right down the toilet. Maybe we just need things to strive for in life and in that situation it was no longer possible. The had reached the ceiling so to speak and never had a hope for anything more in life. People need hope. It was said about Alexander the Great "and then he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer", i think. Cut me some slack , i'm not a history major. lol But i think it's close enough.

United States

he who has hope has everything

Its interesting that you said that because when they lost roger and their hope they had essentially hit the 'glass celing' which you'll notice fran and peter have to pass through in order to survive
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A very interesting interpretation. There are so many subplots and different possible interpretations that can be made from this film. It really does keep on giving. I like to watch the movie and everytime i'll specifically focus on a particular subplot that a character might be dealing with. Whether it's fran's struggle for respect as the only woman in the group, the interaction of peter and the others, him being the only african american, and flyboy just trying to man up. I have my own thoughts, but what do you think roger's issue(s) were?

United States

easy

I think he was jealous of the relationship between Stephen and Fran. The three of them were friends but there comes a time when you have the basic human need for the comfort from the opposite sex. Often in life or death situations your carnal desire for the opposite sex is in way increased I think because its essential for the survival of your species and part of your instinct to reproduce. He and Peter were SOL unless they wanted each other and at some point thats simply not enough.

Roger turned into such a loose cannon towards his demise that I think had he not been infected at any point I see him killing for Fran. Not for her personally but even just for her in general. At some point it would even fall onto him to keep her safe from the biker gang. When the world is over run with zombies its like being a man living in prison... you're reduced to a lower level of humanity and the things you're capable of are unimaginable but at some point need to be thought of to prepare yourself for the inevitabilities
    Last edited by MissJacksonCA; 29-May-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Do you think the genesis of this jealously predated the plauge when he theoretically had feelings for her or did it come from the fact that she was the only game in town. Like rhodes said" maybe it'll give the rest of us a shot at some lovin' " I think the latter was definitely a factor with the group of survivors in day. Being a woman , how would you feel about being in that situation?

United States

for me...

If I was in that situation it wouldn't be a problem for me. I understand what they would want and I'm not afraid to take a few heads off to ensure I dont have to be in that situation. Its tough because you'd want the protection of a group of men but the price for that is too much and personally I'd be a solitary fighter in the war against the undead I wouldn't be likely to end up living with a group of other survivors. Its easier when you're the only person to concern yourself with.

I think Roger had feelings for Fran only after everything hit the fan. But when they got to the mall. I liked that Day and 28 Days actually explored that spectrum of reality in a zombie world. To pussy foot around it is only avoiding a great story on human behaviour.

The Walking Deaad graphic novel explored that same thing with Ricks wife having an affair because she thought he was dead and needed the solace another man was willing to provide. Unfortunately of course that leads to something bad. Then in another instance one of the survivors in the story wasn't afraid to risk his life to gather supplies because he had no one he cared about. Not having someone you love is like not having something to live for. When you have no one you lose nothing when you die so you'll risk everything.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Another thought provoking scene was the bikers raided the mall. Many things could be poited too, but i usually fixate upon the fact that they messed up the entire set up for the protagonists and for what? They said it themselves, tv's, money, all useless. Besides the guns and ammo, what did they really come out of there with, a mannequin and some pies? It speaks to the heart of what's really inside human beings. Misery does love company it seems.

United States

when life mimics art

Whats funny about them looting the mall at a time when money is virtually useless along with TVs and such is it reminds me of when people looted the stores post-Katrina in N'awlins... I mean there was no power for the TVs people were stealing ... I understand the food but for taking EVERYTHING there is no excuse. It also reminds me of the LA riots when people were burning down their own neighborhoods. It just made no sense unless of course you think of... misery loves company.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's the only logical explanation. Then again applying logic in order to figure out the reasons behind human behavior is a self defeating premise. However, it is very ironic that the bikers, and mostly the stars of the movie, aquired all this material wealth at a time when it was virtually insignificany. Good catch buddy.

Dead

Undisclosed
    I've seen the movie god knows how many times, I'd say my favorite shocker is getting to see Fran's tits. The earlier copy of the movie I had just had them in bed together, but the later copy I bought (extended version?) showed her half naked. Not much to look at, but among many new details I never expected to come along and enhance the movie

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ah yes, among all the eternal questions that are asked and issues that are dealt with, we now get down to what really matters: sillouetted breasts. j/k I think that's just an american thing. Our country as a whole is very repressed when it comes to sexuality. We don't talk about it or masterbation and the like. In europe, South America woman do the weather naked. ( I have no idea if that's true, but one can dream.)
    Last edited by darth los; 29-May-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Canada
    For me, the whole I'm going to try not to come back, scene did it for me when I first saw the film. I was upset that Roger died, I kept saying why can't Stephen die, he sucks'. I was ten at the time. lol
    I love the montage, that was a little pick me up in the film.
    Stephen as a zombie (not cause I wanted him dead) just because he does an amazing zombie. No one can beat that zombie walk

United States
    Yeah that totally was one of the most deeply affecting scenes from the movie and it was really well done by the actors in it. I felt like I was totally in the room with the same sense of despair everyone had. It was like no one was safe and we were all gonna die sooner or later and the question is... are we going to end up like them and walk around like that or will there be someone with the strength to shoot us?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyHicks View Post
    For me, the whole I'm going to try not to come back, scene did it for me when I first saw the film. I was upset that Roger died, I kept saying why can't Stephen die, he sucks'. I was ten at the time. lol
    I love the montage, that was a little pick me up in the film.
    Stephen as a zombie (not cause I wanted him dead) just because he does an amazing zombie. No one can beat that zombie walk
    David actually put alot of thought into that walk. He studied how everybody else did their zombie thing and for days beforehand planned how he was going to do it. I still don't know how he pulled off that ankle thing though.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"