Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars on bluray, but which version?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

Lucas re-edits Star Wars more than Dj re-edits Deadlands 1 & 2 - that's a fucking lot of re-editing!

But I improved on my films
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Now you're just getting picky, damn it. I just said that it WOULD be released. I never said it wouldn't have the minor details that fans bitch about! But now you ARE agreeing with me that it will happen....so gimme dat 50!
    Well, I did say as it was released in theatres, so I can't give you my $50 just yet.

I'm a purist, what can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    But I improved on my films
    I knew that was coming!

United States
    What I'm about to say might be blasphemous, but oh well! Sorry, but I'll take CGI replacing outdated effects and vastly superior image/sound over Greedo shooting first any day!

I hate when most of my favorite films have crappy quality, and bad audio unless it's a horror which, at times adds to the film. But for some thing like, Star Wars yeah not my thing.

The effect some claim that those changes have on the story are virtually non-existant...Greedo shooting first does not change Han's character (granted it's kinda stupid), Jabba making an appearance in ANH doesn't hurt, extended scenery shots of Mos Eisly and Bespin don't hurt (unnecessary, but it doesn't ruin the whole film). And the only scene I see that really bothersome is replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen.

And admittedly, I like some of the additional scenes. Seeing the Wampa Creature was nice, and the cgi sequence of Jedi Rocks indeed sucks, but I like the actual song.

I wasn't around when the originals first hit, that may be why the changes don't bother me at all.

Granted, I would also like to see the original unaltered versions as well with high quality picture/audio. Til then I'll just stick to my SE dvds, and fast-forward the parts I don't like.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree, Doc. I've never seen the huge problem with most of the additions. Sure, some may not be necessary and some of them are a bit silly, but as you said....it doesn't take away from the total effect of the films. It's still essentially the same trilogy.

How much is really changed in each film, anyway? Maybe ten or so minutes? Out of two hour films? C'mon.....that doesn't ruin the entire experience. I may not agree with it all and flat out hate some of it, but it's not total blashemy as the SW fans have made it out to be....
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Jan-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Yeah, I was mostly taking about the SW fans who go "Lucas raped my childhood!" or "The franchise is ruined!". What do these people not have fast-forward buttons? Just skip that stuff!

Though all of that would go away if Lucas just release better editions of the unaltered versions.

But yeah, some fanboys just like hating.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How would we feel if if 10-20 Minutes were added to one of our beloved...oh wait.

Never mind.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I understand what you guys are getting at, but I'm one of those people who believe once a movie is out there, leave it alone. It's a representation of what you could accomplish and the story you could tell with the resources available to you at that time. So what if it looks outdated 30 years later? Almost every film looks outdated 30 years later. Not all, but most.

I just want a true representation of what I saw back when I originally saw it. If you want to clean up the picture and sound, great. Don't, however, start adding stuff, taking out stuff, changing the order of sequences, etc. I don't take that as far as to say "Lucas is raping my childhood!" however, it doesn't keep me from saying "stop fucking with something that doesn't need to be fucked with!"

I can relate this to music that I create - some of the tunes I've written and recorded over the past 25+ years, I listen back and think "oh, man, I didn't get across what I wanted to in this song" - but, I do not go back and re-record tracks to make it what I want it to be present day. I just chalk it up to "well, that's where I was at the time, and it was my best effort when it was recorded." I might go back and do some noise reduction or EQ'ing of the song, but nothing is changed from the original tracks other than that. I think that's the attitude filmmakers should take as well. Clean up the picture? Fine. Clean up the audio? Also fine. Alter the movie's sequence or make over-egregious edits or add in shit that was never there? Unacceptable.

As Dennis Miller used to say... "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong"

Remember what I said in another thread last week? "I love being the odd man out."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Full details on the blu ray set:

* DISC ONE – STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE
    - Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires
    - Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew

* DISC TWO – STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES
    - Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow

* DISC THREE – STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH
    - Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett

* DISC FOUR – STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE
    - Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

* DISC FIVE – STAR WARS: EPISODE V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    - Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

* DISC SIX – STAR WARS: EPISODE VI RETURN OF THE JEDI
    - Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

* DISC SEVEN – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES I-III
    - Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more

* DISC EIGHT – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI
    - Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more

* DISC NINE – THE STAR WARS DOCUMENTARIES
    - NEW! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes) – Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures...these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts, this insightful documentary shows how the super-fan club promotes interest in the films through charity and volunteer work at fundraisers and high-profile special events around the world.
    - NEW! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes) – George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie. The masters discuss and reminisce about one of the most beloved films of all time.
    - NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) – The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more — and don’t miss “Weird Al” Yankovic’s one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!
    - The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes) – Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2. Includes interviews with George Lucas and appearances by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.
    - The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas’ vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!
    - Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Go behind the scenes — and into the costumes — as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film. Hosted and narrated by Carrie Fisher and Billie Dee Williams.
    - Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes) – See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later! George Lucas explains and demonstrates how his team transformed the original dewback creatures from immovable rubber puppets (in the original 1977 release) to seemingly living, breathing creatures for the Star Wars 1997 Special Edition update.
    - Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) – Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today.

Dying

United States
    Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) – Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today.
    Oh, good, I always did want to know about the plausibility of building my own functioning lightsaber.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Oh, good, I always did want to know about the plausibility of building my own functioning lightsaber.
    The illusion:

The reality:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Lucas is at it again

I'm actually glad they replaced that sh*t puppet from Phantom Menace, but they better not touch the puppet in Empire and Jedi....
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Aug-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    you guys are still giving george lucas your money again?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Lucas is at it again

I'm actually glad they replaced that sh*t puppet from Phantom Menace, but they better not touch the puppet in Empire and Jedi....
    I don't want to ever watch any of the shi**y last three films. They're a mess, and lack any real soul or +ves.

As for the original trilogy. Lucas has f***ed up the first one a bit too much in places with inane and unecessary CGI clowns for no reason. So it's painful to watch. The second one, thankfully has remained watchable. Which brings us to the third, which Lucas has crucified! The new music in Jabba's palace it terrible, and the final minute of the film is utterly ruined from both an editing and scoring point of view. The film now ends with a total flop, instead of the nicely edited and scored original ending...

In short, I'm not interested in his new edits of the original films. There's too many annoyances... Now, if the originals were available, or even the special edition which had just a small number of CGI enhancements, those on bluray would be epic!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Agree with you Neil 100%.

I miss the nub nub song at the end of 'Return of the Jedi'. The only redeeming factor about those teddy bears.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Agree with you Neil 100%.

I miss the nub nub song at the end of 'Return of the Jedi'. The only redeeming factor about those teddy bears.
    Yep, the edit+score ended on a nice high.... The new mess ends with a CGI interupted flop...

-- -------- Post added 31-Aug-2011 at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was 25-Aug-2011 at 10:12 AM ----------

More changes - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51019
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan