Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WGON: Short for "Goblin"?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm curious as to what fans of Goblin think makes them special? As I said earlier, I can enjoy some of their work on Dawn but for the most part it doesn't seem all that special for a film score. Any group of kids with instruments could have made the same score.

Keep in mind that I'm making this statement based on their Dawn score. I'm not familiar with much else.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I also am not familiar with anything but their dawn score but it would seem that their score was taylored specifically for events in the film.

Their "real" music might have a totally different sound.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm curious as to what fans of Goblin think makes them special? As I said earlier, I can enjoy some of their work on Dawn but for the most part it doesn't seem all that special for a film score. Any group of kids with instruments could have made the same score.
    Goblin/Argento were the first to marry a progressive hard rock score to horror cinema. Their work on Deep Red/Profondo Rosso and Suspiria is tight, thematic and very well-arranged. DAWN is their most stereotypical work. It lacks the varying dynamics and changes in mood of their previous scores, so I could understand why you'd think any group of kids today could have made the same music. As pointed out, La Caccia is their best written piece for the film (the music when Peter and Roger block the mall entrances), but the arrangement is very weak. ironically, Romero picked De Wolfe cues for DAWN that sound more like Goblin's style than Goblin does on their DAWN score.

You should definitely check out Deep Red if you're unfamiliar with Goblin's work outside of DAWN. This trailer scared the crap out of me when I was 9 years old.

Last edited by DubiousComforts; 04-Mar-2010 at 05:49 PM.

United States
    How exactly was Goblin attempting to be too "American" with their soundtrack in DAWN? I didn't realize there was a distinct "American" sound (other than perhaps John Williams) as opposed to an Italian sound for films when it comes to instrumentation/instrumental pieces -- and what exactly is an Italian sound?

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I'm actually really curious as I never really considered there being that much of a distinction in styles especially with it being only instrumental as opposed to any singing (in which you can certainly tell a difference with language).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    How exactly was Goblin attempting to be too "American" with their soundtrack in DAWN? I didn't realize there was a distinct "American" sound (other than perhaps John Williams) as opposed to an Italian sound for films when it comes to instrumentation/instrumental pieces -- and what exactly is an Italian sound?
    You're unfamiliar with the difference between Ennio Morricone's work on the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and the music on typical Hollywood westerns?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    You're unfamiliar with the difference between Ennio Morricone's work on the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and the music on typical Hollywood westerns?
    Honestly, I couldn't tell you the last time I really paid that much close attention to it -- the only Western soundtrack that really stands out to me is the ambient/haunting soundtrack to "High Plains Drifter" which I know Eastwood also directed -- did Morricone do the music in that one?

I usually stick with Sam Peckinpah when it comes to westerns.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Here's a cool cover version of the Goblin's main theme to Dawn of the Dead "L'Alba dei Morti Viventi" (the slow, bassy dum-dum-dum one). It's by Daemonia, a band that includes Claudio Simonetti, a former member of Goblin:

If you don't recognise it at first, skip the the halfway mark.

The instrumentation here is a lot stronger than in the original verson.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 05-Mar-2010 at 02:07 PM.

United States
    Now you're just being stupid with this "I love the Italians" nonsense. Goblin's DAWN score tries too hard to sound "American." Anyone the least bit familiar with their work would realize that.

Because Lord knows we don't have nearly enough of those.
    I just think that Italians know how to make better films. It is my opinion. I don't put you down for liking the dumb shit you probably like.

As far as music goes: I think Americans can make a good film score like John Carpenter and Danny Elfman, but I think there are a lot of Italian composers that people should recognize. I think the guys that aren't familiar with Italian composers should check out Fabio Frizzi(Zombi 2, The Beyond,The
    Gates of Hell), Enio Morricone(The Thing), Ubaldo Continiello (Jungle Holocaust),Goblin(Deep Red, Buio Omega, Contamination), Riz Ortolani(Cannibal Holocaust), Elsio Mancuso (Burial Ground), Berto Pisano (Burial Ground), Roberto Donati (Cannibal Ferox), Fiamma Maglione (Cannibal Ferox). Stefano Mainetti (Zombi 3), Al Festa (Zombie 4:After Death). There are a lot.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    I just think that Italians know how to make better films. It is my opinion. I don't put you down for liking the dumb shit you probably like.
    Yes, you did by citing the elimination of DAWN's "bullshit political message," which pretty much puts down everyone that enjoys that aspect of Romero's work. It would be akin to praising Romeo for re-cutting an Argento or Fulci film and thereby creating a more coherent story. Pretty retarded, huh?

I've been a fan of Romero, Argento, Fulci, and Bava since before there was a DAWN and probably before you were in diapers. Each has his own unique strength as a filmmaker, and it's not a competition. But the bottom line is DAWN is not Argento's film. It's obviously not been an overwhelming success simply because of his edit or Goblin's music, but perhaps in spite of those aspects.

Just because the Italians touch something doesn't make it better. Take a look at just about anything Luigi Cozzi has done as proof.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 05-Mar-2010 at 06:33 PM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Just because the Italians touch something doesn't make it better. Take a look at just about anything Luigi Cozzi has done as proof.
    Hey hey hey!

I was nodding along with everything you said until you had to go and slag Luigi! I like his films.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Hey hey hey!

I was nodding along with everything you said until you had to go and slag Luigi! I like his films.
    Truth is often bitter, left unsaid. - Neil Peart

United States
    Yes, you did by citing the elimination of DAWN's "bullshit political message," which pretty much puts down everyone that enjoys that aspect of Romero's work. It would be akin to praising Romeo for re-cutting an Argento or Fulci film and thereby creating a more coherent story. Pretty retarded, huh?

I've been a fan of Romero, Argento, Fulci, and Bava since before there was a DAWN and probably before you were in diapers. Each has his own unique strength as a filmmaker, and it's not a competition. But the bottom line is DAWN is not Argento's film. It's obviously not been an overwhelming success simply because of his edit or Goblin's music, but perhaps in spite of those aspects.

Yeah, I deffinatley agree with you on everything here, except: I do not praise Argento what so ever and if Romero edited something by an Italian director, It would only make more sense to the people that don't understand the movie in the first place. As I thought about what I said in my earlier post, I came to the conclusion that the extended version of Dawn should be looked at differently than the Euro cut of Dawn. The Extended cut seems like the "full" version of the film. I think that the theatrical U.S. version should be thrown out. I think that Romero didn't plan on people thinking there would be a political message in his dead films(maybe he intended on certain social aspects such as Ben being black and zombie shoppers). When they saw a political message, maybe he said "Yeah, sure, why not?". I think that if there would be any message in Dawn, it would be: trying to live a normal life without a society. I think there is nothing wrong with looking deep into a film but the way people try to reach for big political messages in the dead films gets silly. Again, all my opinion, which doesn't mean much on here in the first place.

I have only seen Contamination by him and I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Dallow View Post
    Because it's all blood and no substance. Like ninety percent of Italian horror films.
    That is because you are not a fan of Italian horror films. That is just as silly as saying George Romero makes exploitation films and only makes his movies for the gore factor.
    Last edited by fulci fan; 06-Mar-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Theatrical version is the only version for me. The extended cut had too much crappy library music and it didn't really add anything new to it. Haven't seen the Argento cut. I have it on DVD, but the quality is really, really bad.