Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Call of Duty- Balck Ops - Full Review

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Secret Black Ops Mode Revealed

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Carlos, that's awesome! Thanks!

As far as the midnight release went - it wasn't as full of nerds as I expected. In fact, I didn't see a single person that you could immediately be like "that's a nerd". It was 85% meatheads, though. Like you said, tons of adult-oriented profanity (even though there were younger kids with their Dads waiting in line), and ample amounts of macho attitude. The Gamestop employees were doing tons of fun/free shit for the line and giving out stuff and half the guys were heckling them the whole time - particularly the group right next to my girlfriend and I. One of the employees was black and a dude from the group next to us had to chant "OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!" when the black dude was trying to raffle off some free stuff to everyone.

Ugggh. Never doing that again. At least we didn't show up til 11 and were out of there at 12:07.

Anyway, I fucking LOVE it so far. It's so fast/frenetic that you never have a chance to think "this is dull". You guys complained about killstreaks and stuff from MW2: there are way less here, because killstreaks no longer stack - meaning you can't use a killstreak to get to your next killstreak. So most of what's being called in by teammates/enemies are spy planes (recons) and these hilarious/awesome little RC cars rigged with C4 that you can control.

If you hated how arcadey MW2 was, however, you'll especially hate this one as it takes the arcade-ness one step further.

I still have yet to even touch nazi zombies, campaign, or (as Carlos mentioned) that secret game mode.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    If you hated how arcadey MW2 was, however, you'll especially hate this one as it takes the arcade-ness one step further.
    thanks, that pretty much confirms all suspsicions and cements me into the "never gonna fuck with that game" posistion.

i'll just stick with the first MW and WaW hardcore multiplayer, will probably never bother with another new CoD game again.

EDIT: and as for your midnight release experience, i consider the type of characters in your description to be geeks, hence my subjective views as to the amount of nerds/geeks/buffoons present at the MW2 launch. and yeah, i seriously doubt i'll ever attend one of those things again. i'd much rather wait it out a day than have to put up with that bullshit (very similar to my strategy to sit out on the new fallout till all DLCs are free and bugs are fixed in the GOTY edition)...i can't buy into that sort of hype anymore.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 09-Nov-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: .............................................................................................................................

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    thanks, that pretty much confirms all suspsicions and cements me into the "never gonna fuck with that game" posistion.
    Well, while I say it's more arcade-like than MW2, I actually like it a lot more than MW2 & WaW and would compare the fun to when I first starting playing CoD4. If you ever get the chance to borrow it from a friend, give it a shot; you may like it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Carlos, that's awesome! Thanks!

As far as the midnight release went - it wasn't as full of nerds as I expected. In fact, I didn't see a single person that you could immediately be like "that's a nerd". It was 85% meatheads, though. Like you said, tons of adult-oriented profanity (even though there were younger kids with their Dads waiting in line), and ample amounts of macho attitude. The Gamestop employees were doing tons of fun/free shit for the line and giving out stuff and half the guys were heckling them the whole time - particularly the group right next to my girlfriend and I. One of the employees was black and a dude from the group next to us had to chant "OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!" when the black dude was trying to raffle off some free stuff to everyone.

Ugggh. Never doing that again. At least we didn't show up til 11 and were out of there at 12:07.

Anyway, I fucking LOVE it so far. It's so fast/frenetic that you never have a chance to think "this is dull". You guys complained about killstreaks and stuff from MW2: there are way less here, because killstreaks no longer stack - meaning you can't use a killstreak to get to your next killstreak. So most of what's being called in by teammates/enemies are spy planes (recons) and these hilarious/awesome little RC cars rigged with C4 that you can control.

I still have yet to even touch nazi zombies, campaign, or (as Carlos mentioned) that secret game mode.
    Sorry you had to go through that. That's one great thing about Gamefly. it come straight to your mailbox so you can avoid all that shit.

The drawback is that for highly anticipated titles such as this one i have to wait a couple of days for it (most likely thursday) while others are having fun with it.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched a couple of reviews online. IGN gave it 8.5/10, and Machinima's dude reviewing it (the same dude with the really annoying voice and inflection and scripting style who does the narration for Machinima's "All Your History" videos) utterly jizzed his pants off and gave it a *sigh* 10/10 ... now, come on for fuck sake. What was worse with Machinima's video review was that it was 10 minutes long, but I barely learned anything about the single player.

Apparently the SP mode is 6.5 hours long, so a smidge longer than MW2 in that case, but still ... goddamn dude, give us a couple more hours worth of campaign, yeah? This focus on MP - in general, not just in the COD franchise - pisses me off.

That said, the reviewers I've read have commended the story - and it certainly looks like a cool story with lots of potential for dramatic moments, which I'll certainly enjoy (when I get the game ... fuck off was I paying £45 for it ... that extra fiver they stuck on because it's so popular is just a piss take, and £40 alone for a 6.5 hour game is ridiculous too ... so it's going on my list for Santa ) ... apparently it's quite frantic, perhaps too frantic, but nevertheless I enjoyed MW2 (certain issues aside). I don't actually play that many FPS games nowadays ... haven't bothered with the new MOH, but I'll definitely play the new COD at some point.

Apparently there's more side-stuff for folk like me to do, you can do MP type stuff with Bots, which is a good thing to have, as I otherwise wouldn't get to enjoy a bit of that stuff. There's also that Arcade game 'Dead Ops' which is like a top down shooter, and of course the zombie mode (which is apparently rather good - you can fight beside ex-Presidents too apparently, like Richard Nixon ).

I think COD's biggest problem are the section of the audience who are just, as mentioned earlier, "meat heads". The sort of inane knobs who don't speak English, but "bro-lish" ... you know the kind. That in turn impacts on the franchise (the sheer focus, from the dev team, and the gaming media, on MP over SP) ... so if that element of the 'COD thing' could be gotten rid of, then that'd be a plus.

Anyway, I'll get to the new COD game soon - as I said, I'll be asking Santa for it.

Super Moderator

United States
    Grabbing my copy on the way home from work, so I'll see how it is all too soon.

I'll let you all know if I feel immediately cheated, but I expect it'll be on par or slightly better than the last CoD and that'd be fine by me..

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    While it looks pretty good, I'm just not feeling this one. The rumored next installment might have me back playing the CoD franchise again:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...ll_of_Duty.php
    That unit hasn't talked specifically about what it's doing with the franchise. But industry sources say Sledgehammer's Call of Duty will be set in the future and feature, for lack of a better term, space Marines, a very big step for a franchise that has historically based itself on realism.
    Future warfare sounds like a breath of fresh air, so many possibilities. Just don't mess it up like BF 2142.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm playing the secret mode, Dead Ops Arcade, right now and holy shit! Fucking awesome! Treyarch could have easily made this an XBLA title and sold it for $15. Gotta hand it to them for including it for free.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm playing the secret mode, Dead Ops Arcade, right now and holy shit! Fucking awesome! Treyarch could have easily made this an XBLA title and sold it for $15. Gotta hand it to them for including it for free.
    Which is the way it should be. These companies nickle and dime us to death waaaaaaaay too much. It's good business to include something like that.

Remember the Orange box and all the stuff that came with? That thing is STILL selling like hotcakes.

Super Moderator

UK
    Apparently if you type in "zork" into the same console that you type "DOA" into, you get a text adventure game.

Undisclosed
    I have game in hand.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I have game in hand.
    If it was in your hand for more than 5 minutes you're playing with it.

And no, I never get tired of that one.

Super Moderator

United States
    I fired it up last night and though it was more of the same in many respects, I enjoyed it a lot. They need some more variety in their types and layouts of maps, set up some serious tight kill zones as the only way to access the other half of the map and set up people who want to play a sniper or long arms game.

I really do like the multiple zooms on some(?) of the sniper rifle scopes and the ability to buy upgrades with in-game earned cash. I like the customization options and the handling.

I haven't tried anything but MP, yet...then again, MP is what I primarily bought it for.

That said, if you didn't dig, or were recently burned out by the last installment in the franchise stand down and stay clear

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Agreed

I haven't made it passed level 6 yet but I haven't really tried too hard. As soon as I passed 5 that gorrilla thing popped out and I started messing with him. Not sure if you can kill him or what. He stomps my ass though.