Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Tool album.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    I'm starting to think that "10,000 Days" is at the bottom of their discography....
    Agreed....from hearing reports and rumors that this was supposed to be "harder" and more "raw" - It certainly left me wishing it'd been better. After several listens, I like it alot, but they've got much better music floating around out there. Opiate and Aenima being the best!

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll try and get my mits on "Opiate" as well then. Just listened to 10,000 Days for the second time whilst I was editing a piece of BBC Local TV about Caring Kids ... it's an interesting combination. Can't remember who said it now, but hmmm...yeh, there is a tad more "filler" than you'd want, like a minute of not-at-all-meaty lead up to a song. It's not like The Cure with "Disintegration", those songs have on avergage 2 minutes of hazy, deep lead-in before the lyrics kick in, but 10K Days takes it a bit far with the filler parts. It's still good, the first track is my favourite on the album at the moment, will continue to listen to the album, but I was definately more struck by "Aenima" ... and hopefully "Opiate" will be a similar experience.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    I'll try and get my mits on "Opiate" as well then. Just listened to 10,000 Days for the second time whilst I was editing a piece of BBC Local TV about Caring Kids ... it's an interesting combination. Can't remember who said it now, but hmmm...yeh, there is a tad more "filler" than you'd want, like a minute of not-at-all-meaty lead up to a song. It's not like The Cure with "Disintegration", those songs have on avergage 2 minutes of hazy, deep lead-in before the lyrics kick in, but 10K Days takes it a bit far with the filler parts. It's still good, the first track is my favourite on the album at the moment, will continue to listen to the album, but I was definately more struck by "Aenima" ... and hopefully "Opiate" will be a similar experience.
    For the BEST Maynard experience, Thirteenth Step - A Perfect Circle.

Super Moderator

UK
    Good stuff, that's one of the albums I downloaded. Got four albums in fact, but I'm letting Tool settle in first before I get into P.C. - ooh, there's a Deftones track called "Passenger" which features Maynard, it's a pretty cool track, one of my favourite Deftones ones. Check it out if you get the chance.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Don't be fooled....Opiate probably won't be what you're expecting. It's short and to the point. In fact, I think it is mostly made up of live tracks.

Good to see Deftones fan, as well. Their last album(self titled) was freaking great but I still gotta say that Adrenaline(their first) is the best. With Around the Fur in second and White Pony in last.

Speaking of A Perfect Circle, I was never impressed with them. I think they aren't anything compared to Tool. APC seemed like busy work for Maynard to me....that's all. Just my personal opinion...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Don't be fooled....Opiate probably won't be what you're expecting. It's short and to the point. In fact, I think it is mostly made up of live tracks.

Good to see Deftones fan, as well. Their last album(self titled) was freaking great but I still gotta say that Adrenaline(their first) is the best. With Around the Fur in second and White Pony in last.

Speaking of A Perfect Circle, I was never impressed with them. I think they aren't anything compared to Tool. APC seemed like busy work for Maynard to me....that's all. Just my personal opinion...
    The Noose (APC) is a fantastic song.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    Good stuff, that's one of the albums I downloaded. Got four albums in fact, but I'm letting Tool settle in first before I get into P.C. - ooh, there's a Deftones track called "Passenger" which features Maynard, it's a pretty cool track, one of my favourite Deftones ones. Check it out if you get the chance.
    Listening now. Nice!
    Last edited by Adrenochrome; 11-May-2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

UK
    I guess it's a frequent thing, when someone in a band goes off and does something else it is like 'busy work' as you say, I've found this with many bands, they go off and do something else, kind of refreshes them creatively and lets them do something different, but it's never the same is it? The 'busy work' bands are interesting asides and can rip out some great tracks, but yeh I kinda get that 'they're on a break and having fun' vibe a bit too from such situations.