Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just finished watching Rambo for the second time today...

Super Moderator

UK
    As long as it stays action, then I'm most likely happy.

(I too was thinking "well, there's war and then there's action ... so ...")

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think I posted a mini review of this flick back in January when I saw it in theaters... However, my opinion still stands.

For the first 45 minutes the film is so-so, the last 45 has some great action moments, however, I still think it has a long way to go before being considered one of the better action films on today.

I like First Blood the best, and no sequel in that series has ever compared to how great that first film was, they just pale in comparison.

Rocky Balboa has been the only Stallone sequel, to match the greatness of the original film.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I did a marathon of them all yesterday leading up to my first viewing of IV. I was a great movie, BUT (& this is not a dis mind you) it had a different vibe than the other 3. It was Rambo for the new millinium/new school of film making, which is appropriate I suppose. If he had tried to make it old school style it probably would have come off as cheesy & bombed. But it it did make for a different feeling as a viewing experience. The 1st 3 flow together pretty well. In this case it's like 1,2,3...........and 4 way over here, which again, is probably appropriate given the long gap between 3 & 4.

Very gritty & fast paced. Doesn't lag. Wish it was a tad longer. Overall damn fine though.

As for the ending & the new direction of the possible sequel...

Really liked the ending. I could see how this is either a definitive end to the series OR a set up for a sequel depending on how you look at it. One thought I had on how you could continue the series is maybe he has to protect the old man's farm from bankers, land developers, etc. A sort of modern western if you will. I think it could be exciting & would be another way to take the series in the "somewhat different genre" direction mentioned. Would also capture some of that First Blood vibe as well

United States
    I think we've had enough Rambo. The story's been told; there's no need to milk it with stupid **** like "Rambo Rides the Bus" or "Rambo at Day's Inn". There comes a point where the franchise is over. We just passed that point.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I think we've had enough Rambo. The story's been told; there's no need to milk it with stupid **** like "Rambo Rides the Bus" or "Rambo at Day's Inn". There comes a point where the franchise is over. We just passed that point.
    Eh...we'll see. I was somewhat skeptical of the FORTH one after all this time, & I was mildly pleasantly surprised, so I'm willing to keep an open mind & see what develops.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    There comes a point where the franchise is over. We just passed that point.
    We passed that point after First Blood, imo.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    We passed that point after First Blood, imo.....
    Have you seen the new Rambo?

If not, shaddup.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Have you seen the new Rambo?

If not, shaddup.
    No, but there were two sequels before that. Those were bad enough and I hear this new installment follows their example of sh*tting on the original's good name.

I'm sure I'll see it eventually, but I'm not paying for it.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Anyone who thinks Rambo is a 'dumb' genre really needs to read David Morrell's "First Blood."

I loved First Blood and I love the new Rambo, but even both of those don't do the book justice. When Trautman blows Rambo's face off with a shotgun at the end, I was literally in tears. It's such a damn good story of an elite soldier who comes home and can't seem to readjust to civilian life. Rambo was still a kid basically in the book too, probably 19 or 20 i'd say. It's pretty gut wrenching that a kid goes off to a war he doesn't understand and is trained to kill people with his bare hands, meanwhile he hasn't even been laid yet. Uncle Sam's pitbull is still a virgin, and probably doesn't even have hair on his nuts. It makes you think.

As for the new movie. It was really great. I felt like it captured the dark tone set forth in Morrell's book. The movie really wasn't about Rambo. It was about people trying to change what is. This is a story about what happens when you bring bibles and good intentions into a warzone. Brute force and ignorance has always ruled this planet and it always will.
    Last edited by Dillinger; 17-Jul-2008 at 03:13 AM.