Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thor movie

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    here's a question: are there any super-heroes who don't have an upcoming film?

i really can't wait for the whole comic-book movie thing to die off.

greed is keeping it around, well that and the fact its outgrossing other genres

would you rather just prefer remakes for the next 40 years?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    So Capn Kirk's daddy is gonna be Thor huh? Hmmmm. . . I just dunno. But Anthony Hopkins as Odin. . . . oh yes!
    Huh. I'm so old I had to google 1/2 the actors on that list...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Huh. I'm so old I had to google 1/2 the actors on that list...

Me too.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

I just looked up some of the gods, not super familiar familiar with the mythos aside from general terms, and I found this casting pretty amusing.

Heimdall, known as the White god, played by this gentleman: Idris Elba. A fine actor, I loved him in RocknRolla. . . .Ironic casting however. I wonder if they will address that in the movie, or if it's an inside joke. Pretty great I think, either way.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As Hellsing mentioned in the shoutbox....

Thor Trailer

I must say....I'm impressed. From the start I thought this franchise would be difficult to translate to the screen, but it looks like they've accomplished that while also sticking close to the source. Noice.

Super Moderator

United States
    Hmmm, already got 'video cannot be found'. Regardless, I'm just stoked to see you didn't hate it, Bassman. I think we were both kind of hesitant as to to whether it would be pulled off.

I'll look for it when I get home from work this evening.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Aye, I figured that would happen. Marvel is frantically trying to take it off, but it's too late now. The thing spread like wildfire. Their best bet would be to release it officially.

A quick google search should bring it up for you if THIS ONE fails.
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Jul-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    here's a question: are there any super-heroes who don't have an upcoming film?

i really can't wait for the whole comic-book movie thing to die off.

Well, when you see a plastic man movie you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrell.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I hear there is a Stretch Armstrong movie in the works. Doesn't that count?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I hear there is a Stretch Armstrong movie in the works. Doesn't that count?
    Depends what he's stretching.

Ba-boom-ching!

Hopefully it's vaginas.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Well, when you see a plastic man movie you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    Jim Carrey would be perfect for that jerb...

Maybe I'll get my Captain Carrot movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

I must say....I'm impressed. From the start I thought this franchise would be difficult to translate to the screen, but it looks like they've accomplished that while also sticking close to the source. Noice.
    I'm surprisingly impressed, too. I wanted Jonah Hex to hit big, but it didn't... and I even liked it.
    This I was expecting to not like, but the trailer looks pretty kickass.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Well, when you see a plastic man movie you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrell.
    Really?

You got physical comedy, a redemption arc (Plas started out as a small-time hood), extensive & creative use of CGI -- it could work, I tells ya!

Weren't the Wachkowskis originally planning to follow up the Matrix movies with a Plastic Man flick?
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    I found a working copy of the trailer for anyone that hasn't yet seen it.

http://www.flix66.com/videos_id_212
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Official Trailer

I'm no Thor or Marvel fan, although I do know the basic story, but this at least looks cool in the visual department. Branagh may have made a good'en.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Dec-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Well, I'm surprised! The reviews sound pretty +ve!

“A winning blend of thrill and feeling, respect and irreverence, Thor lifts Marvel's movie stocks considerably. “ The Vine

“An enjoyable film, Thor remains solid throughout; seasoned and unknown actors blend well to introduce a new hero to cinema.” Katina Vangoploulos, Cut Print Review [3.5/5]

“Impressive in scale and design and featuring a star making turn from its leading man, Thor is a dazzling example of the superhero movie done right.” Matt’s Movie Reviews [4/5]

“The hammer-hurling god of thunder kicks off this superhero summer with a bang. “ THR

“While “Thor” is not a perfect film, it is the best from Marvel Studios yet.” Jonah Weiland, CBM

“While no fatal missteps are taken along Thor's path to redemption, pic has a slightly choppy feel, as if it's trying to squeeze an origin tale and at least part of its sequel into a single entity.” Variety

“There's a whole lot of the film that I really like, and I can't wait to take both of my sons to see it.” HitFix

“There are quite a few characters in the mix but my reaction throughout much of Thor was apathetic. It’s not a horrible film but it’s one that doesn’t want to take any chances.” The Film Pie

“There's action and otherworldly elements to appease the core fans and possibly even win over some skeptics, and enough humor and humanity to engage general audiences.” Stax, IGN
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

United States
    I'm skeptical of the reviewer that said that Thor is the best movie to come out of Marvel Studios. It's going to take a lot to beat out Iron Man, which might be the second best superhero movie ever made. It's debatable between Iron Man and Spider-Man 2, but again, those are both Marvel franchises, so the argument still stands.

However, with that said I'm completely excited for this movie. They did exactly what they should have: they dismissed the vast majority of the mainstream Thor series and focused instead on Ultimate Thor. While I love me some God of Thunder butt-kicking in the main Marvel universe, Ultimate Thor's character was more human and easier for audiences to connect to.

The best Thor moment in the history of the comics actually didn't have Thor doing anything; it was instead a quote from Nick Fury during the Secret Invasion story arch. To set the stage, Skrulls (an alien race consisting of a very high percentage of shapeshifters) have replaced a number of Earth's heroes with impostors. Spider-Woman (the woman in the red costume in the panel below) has been replaced by the Skrull queen. This panel takes place immediately before the huge battle in New York City between the Skrulls and the remaining heroes.