Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: where would you go?

United States
    The answer to this question would depend upon the situation. When you think about Dawn78, for example, the film kinda makes it look like the Mall is in the middle of nowhere, which of course, malls never are, they are close to population areas so people will go spend money there. Therefore it is weird that a bunch of locals were not already there. However, if I could find an abandoned mall with the power still on, that would be my choice. Lots of food, entertainment, hopefully a sporting store with guns and ammo. If I had people with me, we would barricade the doors from the inside, not the outside, to protect against the living dead and the living alike. Imagine in Dawn if the bikers didnt just find a truck still hotwired and just drove it out of the way, but had to try to break in heavy fortifications that were inside. The zombies hordes would have gotten to them before they could make it in.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing
    which leads bakc to a sword, take it from a british dude, theres no way a cricket bat could take that many blows beofr snapping off the handle.
    And you think Katanas do...?

Trust me, after awhile your sword will go blunt as well, it's edges will get damaged and cracked etc. etc. Much better to go with a well produced bat, trust me. The head is protected by one of the toughest bones in the body. Your katana wouldn't last very long.

Now, if you grab a machete or something like that, and only use it for close quarters, you might last longer. You can definetly get further with a shortsword meant for heavy slashing than you can with a long sword meant for elegant swipes. Besides, getting ahold of a bundle of machetes is easier and cheaper.

You might want to get yourself a few really well produced wooden bokkens. A bokken is a katana training sword. It's blunt, and will do about the same damage as a bat will do (maybe slightly less), but will be easier to carry around.

Am I the only one who's thinking Chainmail? There's noway a human being can bite through chainmail, and it'd probably save you alot of times.

United States
    Weight issues will kill you in the end with chainmail. I've actually tried on a full chainmail suit at a past Renn Faire and trust me when I say that thing is bloody heavy whe standing still. I don't even want to guess how hard it'll be to wear and get all active in survival mode.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tullaryx
    Weight issues will kill you in the end with chainmail. I've actually tried on a full chainmail suit at a past Renn Faire and trust me when I say that thing is bloody heavy whe standing still. I don't even want to guess how hard it'll be to wear and get all active in survival mode.
    The key word here is practice. What seems heavy to us, would seem limber as hell to a celt, two millenia ago.

If you find some chainmail and put it on, then yes it will be heavy. But if you train in chainmail regularly, you'll learn to move with it and it will not slow you down and encumber it. The most brilliant proof of this is the old medieval knights in europe. They wore excellently designed armor where the weight was evenly distributed throughout the body. Now, to us simpletons that stuff would be heavy as hell. But to a knight, who has trained with this armor since childhood, it wouldn't encumber him that much at all.

So, with regular training, chainmail would be a very good choice.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    wait, so you mean you run around in chainmail preparing for a zombie apocalypse?

okay man whatever floats yer boat.

United States
    The question now is where will you find a suit of chainmail right now that won't set you back several thousand dollars. Remember these things are handcrafted by only a small number of smiths. The one I tried out was being sold for six thousand and it wasn't even the best made in the bunch. Really, in any crisis such as a zombiecalypse, its best to stick to the most generic and most common implements of defense.

And yes, with regular training anyone physically fit can use a suit of chainmail effectively, but no one does that anymore outside of Renn Faire reenactors and people who actively study medieval history. A military-style tactical body plates are actually not as heavy and could be found at any surplus store. In the end, no armor will save you from a large group if they surround you. They may not be able to bit through the metal links, but unless you're wearing a helmet that covers your face, they'll just use your eyes as holes to pull your head off just like poor Pvt Torres, or was it Pvt Johnson from Day of the Dead.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    A) Yes, I run around with chainmail. Trust me, a zombie apocalypse is just around the corner! (this is where irony comes in)

B) The chainmail will in noway save you. But if we're judging this on a GAR basis, then alot of the characters from those films would have been saved had they just been wearing chainmail. If you're overrun, there is noway you can survive anyhow, but overall your chances are great with some kind of protective armor. And training with chainmail is about as effective as you're going to get. Platemail is way to heavy for us non-knights.

I hear the stuff they use to protect themselves from shark bites is pretty nifty too. Never tried any of them on, however.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 10-May-2006 at 06:15 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    in retrospect the best weapon would be a good bo staff made form some steel pipe, itd last a while and do some damage, especially with a sharpened point.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing
    in retrospect the best weapon would be a good bo staff made form some steel pipe, itd last a while and do some damage, especially with a sharpened point.
    A lead pike would be better, I think. Or a crowbar.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wonder how a cattle prod would work .....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    a cattle prod with a bomb!

soaced fans will get this.

Undisclosed
    I figure i would get on a boat and try to make it to the island. lol

United States
    My biggest immediate concern would be fuel and a route out of town.

Problem is living in a city with something like 2-3 million potential walking corpses. Chances are, someone would find my gnawed bones and gristle hanging out at a gas station wondering, dimly, what the heck just happened...

TZ
    TexasZombie
    http://www.geocities.com/eviloverlord668/afmain.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/9327/main.html

That which does not destroy me has made a very grave tactical error...

Undisclosed
    Well, the Mall would be the worst place to go.

Imagine every person thinking about the mall when an outbreak happens.

Now picture a crowd of families and the noise, not to mention the sickness festering about the place. Mall may carry some medical supplies (first aid kits) but that's it. Food would be sugar snacks, small unhealthy treats, and fast food that'll go bad. Not factoring in the zombies targeting the biggest, easiest target. You can be cornered in a mall. And raiders will target malls, and shops for supplies leaving you to fend off both them and the zombies.

Worst places to go...
    -Mall
    -Hospitals
    -Churches
    -Police Stations
    -A basement
    -Office buildings

Best places to hide (note... hide, as in temp)
    -A house with a second story or more (destroy staircase, and zombies can't get you in second floor)
    -Inner-city public school, a bad one with barb wire gates, and steel doors. Most built with emergency fire escapes. Nurse's office with a bit more than a first aid kit. School rooftops are wide and flat in case the ground level is overun.

Best places to live
    -A Prison (I know I know) criminals are evacuted during a second class outbreak. If there are zombies inside, they are few in number. A prison designed to hold inmates in, becomes a fortress with high tall gates and barbwire. The social grounds can be used for crops, and a prison has a medical hospital. Fire arms may be under lock and key, but only require time to access. Not to mention RAIDERS will never ever ever think about raiding a prison, and if they do... God help them.

-The wilderness
    Not even near a road... miles and miles away from all cities or roads.
    Living in the trees, with help of nature. Hidden from raiders, and zombie eyes.

Read the Zombie survival guide by Max Brooks...
    It makes alot of sense.
    I hate kids, bossy women, and well... everyone.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    easily the worst place on the planet to go to would be the mall of america, anyone dissagree? .

me ,luckily being a birtish pimp that i am id pull an 'autumn' and head to one of the many islands with two or less villages on around england,wales and ireland.

not the scottish ones, too cold.