Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Night of the Living dead 30th....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    This is a huge shitfest..... I had it on DVD two different times.

Now if these aren't two of the most contradictory statements I've ever seen put in one sentence.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I agree with you. They could have found a suitable body double for Duane Jones and with a bit of creative camerawork and editing, fleshed out the Beekman's diner scene to be shown in flashback while Ben narrates.

I agree. There is a large number of people who work in the film industry today, at effects houses, who are fans of the film and nearly would have offered their talents for next to nothing to create the special effects to bring that scene to life. We can complain about the new music, added scenes, makeup, etc..... but the one thing that really disappointed me was lack of the Beekman's diner scene with explosion which could have been done.

If someone came to me today and said do you want to update Night Of The Living Dead - the most imortant update would be that diner scene.
    There were so many cool possibilities with that scene that were lost.

Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post

p.s. i hope 1 day Russo or Streiner reads these blogs and know what a bunch of hacks they are,,,long live GAR the real visionary!!!
    They dropped the ball with the 30th anniversary but both Russo and Streiner had a huge impact and contributions to the original film which thankfully they will be remembered for.

The original Night Of The Living Dead was a film where all the stars lined up just right for one moment in time. The talents, skill, creativity, and passion of all those involved came together and made a classic as a dedicated team. That was a rare thing in 1967 let alone today on a film. Having Romero as the director, and an amazing editor, was the game changer that made what could have been a good film great.

My solution to the 30th anniversary is just to watch the original classic
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 16-Jul-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    If someone came to me today and said do you want to update Night Of The Living Dead - the most imortant update would be that diner scene.
    There were so many cool possibilities with that scene that were lost.
    :

That has to be hands down the most talked about/asked for off camera event in the entire series. There's nothing I'd rather see more than what Ben described. Prequel anyone? it sure beats another remake.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You think your pissed, you should ask Anchor Bay. They put up the $300K to make it thinking Romero was involved, when they learned he wasn't and saw the final cut... lets just say they weren't too happy about it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    You think your pissed, you should ask Anchor Bay. They put up the $300K to make it thinking Romero was involved, when they learned he wasn't and saw the final cut... lets just say they weren't too happy about it.

Well, it seems as if the tradition of screwing people over NOTLD is alive and well. It's like an American tradition already, 41 years and counting.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Now if these aren't two of the most contradictory statements I've ever seen put in one sentence.
    I could've been descriptive about that one.

The first DVD I owned of it about five years ago was before I saw the movie. I heard that it was bad but wanted to see it for myself. I watched it & thought it was a huge turd. Traded it off shortly afterwards. Years later(later last year) I saw it again randomly at K-Mart for $5 so I decided to pick it up because I was collecting different VHS/DVDs of the Dead films. I figured I might as well because it was only $5 & also figured that I may want to give it another watch. I ended up never watching it & just getting rid of it about six months later in addition to some of the other versions of the Dead films I acquired because I'm moving in about a month & needed to get rid of some stuff.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    I agree. There is a large number of people who work in the film industry today, at effects houses, who are fans of the film and nearly would have offered their talents for next to nothing to create the special effects to bring that scene to life. We can complain about the new music, added scenes, makeup, etc..... but the one thing that really disappointed me was lack of the Beekman's diner scene with explosion which could have been done.
    If the Beekman's Diner scene was to be done today, utilizing CGI effects in any way, shape or form would be grounds for murdering the guilty parties.

The only way to do this scene right is to get one's hands dirty with some 35mm film, mortician's wax, Bosco and low-budget ingenuity.

And for God's sake, bring Regis and Tony back to blow up that damn tanker.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 16-Jul-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Undisclosed
    If the budget could handle it live is always better but cgi has come a long way and with the right FX house behind the project it could be effective both in looks and cost.

But even going back to when the 30th anniversary was done - They could have picked up a qualified FX house for the Beekman diner scene. Reminds me of the Tanker from Terminator 2 - full size tanker mixed with miniature tanker then mixed the live explosion in with some enhanced cgi explosion. Would have been better than the wandering zombies that were filmed on the road around a crashed car. Unfortunately what we saw of the 35mm film, mortician's wax, and Bosco in the 30th version didn't work too well.

Seeing Regis Survinski and Tony Pantanella blow up a tanker would have been and I would have paid double to see that!
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 17-Jul-2009 at 11:25 PM.