Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What became of Fran and Peter

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i don't think romero could've used a reference to peter and fran in land even if he wanted to without jumping through a lot of flaming hoops. there is an interview out there (and posted on here somewhere) where he talks about how hard it was to even get tom savini's biker character into the land.

dubious can probably back me up on this one. i'm gonna try and find this interview/post.

to be continued...

ok i found it:

it is post #81 in this epic bitchfest:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...referrerid=286
    Yeah, but there is a difference between bringing an actual recongisable character back on screen, and the tenuous connection showing a broken-down helicopter with a familiar colour scheme that may or may not resemble a working helicopter in another movie, or showing the ravaged corpses of an unidentifiable blonde woman and a black man lying face down in the mud. How would anyone ever prove that those were the same characters? And even if they were, there is the whole load of issues around fair use, satire, etc. that mean you could probably get away with it.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    How would anyone ever prove that those were the same characters?
    Fran's 70's-style clothing would be a dead giveaway

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    Fran's 70's-style clothing would be a dead giveaway

I would think that Peter's S.W.A.T. Uniform would have been even more telling. Also, if you want to go one step further and leave absolutely no doubt You could have someone take the dog tag off the corpse that actually says: Peter Washington.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Twitching

United States
    As to if they got away,
    Since they're such good little building clearer/defenders now. Why couldnt they just set the chopper down on another flat-topped building nearby and repeated the mall process? Sure there's only two of them now, but I'm POSITIVE that not EVERY building that could serve as an impromptu helipad is already infested indoors.

There's a host of optimistic potential outcomes if you want em. Just like the list of pessimistic outcomes that are/were possible. Comes down to the age old glass half full of survivors or half empty of zombies condundrum.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    As to if they got away,
    Since they're such good little building clearer/defenders now. Why couldnt they just set the chopper down on another flat-topped building nearby and repeated the mall process? Sure there's only two of them now, but I'm POSITIVE that not EVERY building that could serve as an impromptu helipad is already infested indoors.

In addition to that, virtually any other place they landed wouldn't be as big as the mall. So let's see, the new "spot" would be half the size with half of the original crew clearing it out. Sounds about right to me.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Scotland
    Seriously, it would have been a piece of piss to find a building to land on, without zombies wandering around on the roof. The Bell Jetranger II range of helicopters (to which the WGON "traffic bird" belonged) have a safe full-fuel range of almost 700km (~434 miles), so even if they only had a tenth of a tank (or even less), they'd still be able to fly for about 40 miles to find something suitable.

And actually, come to think about it, screw rooftops! They could fly forty miles into the countryside where the zombies are more spread out (they're clearly congregating mostly in the big cities during Dawn and Day), land in an open field and take their chances in the landscape.

Undisclosed
    To be honest with the Dead Reckoning book there is much better fan literature on this some. Its not bad by any means by middle of the pack for fan fiction sort of thing. Considering it is just one fans opinion of what happened.

It was always my impression that they made it somewhere. Romero left it open but in the commentary and interviews he has said that he liked the characters and so they got away. So they did not go with the downer ending and they made it off somewhere. In the Day commentary he even joked that the primary characters of Day made it off to the island with Peter and Fran. I dont know about that but I like to think they made it somewhere. They might well have died somewhere down the line from something, as it is hard to be totally self sufficient and always on your guard for the rest of your life but I honestly think they made it from the mall and somewhere else.

It is hard to believe that Fran would simply fly the copter until it ran out of gas and crashed it. I think at best they made it to a building around the mall, could possibly refuel and fortify as a base of operations. And at worst they would have enough to make it outside of the main city and land in a field somewhere, take what they have and find a place to lay low until they could find a place to fortify and use as a base for other functions or a place to get fuel. These characters have alot of common sense and Fran comments they dont have much fuel, so I imagine that she is going to be eyeing that gauge the entire time. No way they crash. Might not be the softess landing but still, first time you parallel park its often stressful too.

Undisclosed
    There's a story called "Father's Day" in the fiction section that offers a take.

Christmas Island
    Seriously, it would have been a piece of piss to find a building to land on, without zombies wandering around on the roof.
    Or reinforced for helicopter landings.

Scotland
    Or reinforced for helicopter landings.
    It doesn't have to be, it only has to support the weight of the chopper for as long as it takes for Fran and Peter to climb down and jump in a truck or something. Plus, they can spot hordes from the air and pick a quiet spot. The situation we leave them in is just as easily survivable as any of the other trials and tribulations of the movie, there's no reason to assume they won't strive a fifteen-minute helicopter flight and find somewhere to come down in one piece.

Now DAY is a different story... We leave Sarah in a very dire situation then - BAM - she's in an idyllic island wonderland. Do you think she survived or did she die and go to heaven?

Christmas Island
    Now DAY is a different story... We leave Sarah in a very dire situation then - BAM - she's in an idyllic island wonderland. Do you think she survived or did she die and go to heaven?
    I figure she survived, God doesn't allow helicopters to park in Heaven

Scotland
    I figure she survived, God doesn't allow helicopters to park in Heaven
    Maybe she doesn't know she's dead and is going on as if normal - seeing her hopes of escape to an idyllic island come true, perhaps the helicopter is a symbol for ascention into the afterlife...

Actually, I think she survived too, but the ending really does allow for a lot of different interpretation, and we really don't have as many arguments about it on the forums here as we probably should.

United States
    About Fran and Peter, they were better off than Sarah, Billy and John when you think about it. At least Fran and Peter had guns, ammo, food and water stored away in their helicopter. Not so for Sarah and the boys.

Given the situations, I'd rather have been with Fran and Peter.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    About Fran and Peter, they were better off than Sarah, Billy and John when you think about it. At least Fran and Peter had guns, ammo, food and water stored away in their helicopter. Not so for Sarah and the boys.

Given the situations, I'd rather have been with Fran and Peter.
    Good point, although actually, we don't know for sure what they kept in the helicopter in Day because we never see inside the hold. It's quite possible that they kept supplies in there for in the event of an emergency.

United States
    Good point, although actually, we don't know for sure what they kept in the helicopter in Day because we never see inside the hold. It's quite possible that they kept supplies in there for in the event of an emergency.
    More than likely they had survival supplies (including weapons, ammo, food & water) packed somewhere on that chopper because that would make sense.

Would you go flying around over an apocalyptic wasteland trolling for survivors like they were at the beginning of day without a backup plan and gear just in case of an emergency? I sure as hell would not, and anyone who did would be a total idiot.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."