Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So has France got it right banning the veil?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Edit: I also note it seems to be our american friends standing up and saying this shouldn't be banned, which is understandable really, your immigrants seem to assimilate better than european immigrants.
    I see women in full burqas all the time here. Most of my neighbors are immigrants from Asia or Africa. More relevant, I think, is the fact that America was founded by religious dissidents who were fed up with European intolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    You can't walk into a bank here in the US without taking off your hat and sunglasses for the cameras. It's an inconvenience we all put up with designed to thwart bank robbers. People who wear the veil don't think that law should apply to them.

They have also tried on several occasions to get a state issued DRIVERS LICENSE or REGISTER TO VOTE with a veiled picture. Apparently this practice is common in the Middle East (in areas where they let women vote).
    True, but those are separate questions from whether burqas should be banned outright. U.S. courts would never allow a complete ban on religious garb, but they have recognized states' interest in requiring that identification documents actually allow the identification of the person they are issued to (i.e. by showing that person's face).
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Police Say Man Wearing Burqa Robs MD Bank

SILVER SPRING, Md. - Montgomery County police say a man wearing a burqa has robbed a bank in Silver Spring.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/loca...md-bank-081110

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States

SILVER SPRING, Md. - Montgomery County police say a man wearing a burqa has robbed a bank in Silver Spring.

..And how many people robbed a bank this week wearing a baseball cap?

Oh dear, we better ban baseball caps!

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

That is only 20 minutes from me... Same County that i live in just on the far east side of the county and I am on the far NW side of the county.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*