Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What NEW MATERIAL do you as zombie fans want in movies or TV shows?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

This. 'CUZ THIZ IZ TEH NEW HOTNESS YO!!!11ONE!
    lol'plosion!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i want to see a 2 hour running gun battle with zombies across a vast urban landscape. that is exactly what i want and want nothing else. constant, non-stop fucking mayhem from start to finish. i don't want to know anything about the characters, not even their names in most cases, or their fucking feelings, relationships or any of that sort of shit. i want violence and bloodshed for 120 mins.

i want to see an epic, epic battle played out against incredible odds - like a zombie roarke's drift.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i want to see a 2 hour running gun battle with zombies across a vast urban landscape. that is exactly what i want and want nothing else. constant, non-stop fucking mayhem from start to finish. i don't want to know anything about the characters, not even their names in most cases, or their fucking feelings, relationships or any of that sort of shit. i want violence and bloodshed for 120 mins.

i want to see an epic, epic battle played out against incredible odds - like a zombie roarke's drift.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post

Just watch the end of Army of Darkness over and over until you hit the 120 minute mark :P

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Was popping into the TWD forum and read some comments from other members who are tired of the same old thing instead of doing something new... and I had replied that every time someone has changed a rule or mythology, we as fans have had an issue with it, but, complain that nothing new is being brought to the table, but when something new is brought, it is handled so poorly we can't help but just stick with what we know and love.

So I am asking you as zombie horror fans what changes would you like to see... and I will let you know first hand that I am definitely interested in reading your thoughts and opinions and if some good stuff is brought to the table and it can make a great movie, I will write a treatment and give everyone credit for their ideas used.... Maybe calling it THE HPOTD ZOMBIE PROJECT (Of course it will have a more... "of the Dead" style title, but maybe this is an area we can all brain storm and see what comes of it.

What do you guys think?
    I think that's exactly the problem my friend....as far as GAR's world goes, I don't want a dam thing changed!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Twitching

United States
    @DJ:
    I can think of ONE change to zombies that MIGHT, depending on how well it was handled, result in a successful sub-genre. In Dunwoody's novel Empire he does something different with his zombies. Essentially, upon reanimation a zombie is a typical GAR/TWD Shambler (maybe a little more like a Walker than a GAR-zombie, due to the getting somewhat faster near prey thing)...HOWEVER, should the zombie gain access to a significant amount of warm human flesh it can begin to regain PROBLEM SOLVING skills, NOT humanity/emotions etc. For example, in one of the early scenes of the novel the guy who shovels garbage at the local landfill gets bitten/killed and reanimates. He's dumb as any other GAR/TWD-zombie. When due to chance a dying man staggers into the landfill and is pounced on by "Landfill Zombie", after a significant portion of the victim's flesh is eaten, the body has gotten cold and begins to reanimate, Landfill Zombie loses interest. He then notices his shovel, and dimly puts 2 and 2 together to = Shovel = Can be used to more easily bring down Food. He then begins using the shovel as a bludgeon, and then gains a portion (other zombies in on this kill) of another victim, and then sometime later almost snags a young woman running from other zombies who eludes him and runs into the Utility Shed of the Landfill and locks it from the inside.

Landfill Zombie beats on door with his shovel for a while as he gnaws on a severed foot, but then in another vague flash "remembers" the keys in his front pocket, and in a very simple way that they could be used to get into the shed easier than beating on the door with a shovel. He then spends the next hour experimenting with the keys in various idiotic-but-methodical ways, until he finally by chance hits on the right method and gets the door unlocked. The girl manages to get by him and elude him again, but you see where this is going.

The key here is that Empire Zombies don't turn into Bub and they CERTAINLY DONT turn into Big Daddy. The virus/pathogen/whatever simply uses the consumed flesh as fuel to reactivate the most rudimentary of problem-solving skills. Turning doorknobs, levering a barricade, etc.

My explanation is REALLY MISSING SOMETHING. I advise you to simply read the book and you'll see what I mean. They're still the shambling ghouls we all know and love, but these cold emotionless progressions into better ways to get to human flesh makes them very chilling to read about, and probably even moreso to watch.

You asked, there's AN answer. Whether you like it may be another thing. I, however, feel that Dunwoody has in fact "Done something new under the sun" with zombies, and he did it in a way that doesnt give them superpowers, and doesnt make them Emo retards like Bub and Big Daddy.

My .02, your mileage may vary.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    should the zombie gain access to a significant amount of warm human flesh it can begin to regain PROBLEM SOLVING skills.
    ROTLD sort of did this with the brains thing - i believe the idea was that eating brains would make them smarter (as well as pain relief), but it got lost in a rewrite so it never came across on screen.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Was popping into the TWD forum and read some comments from other members who are tired of the same old thing instead of doing something new... and I had replied that every time someone has changed a rule or mythology, we as fans have had an issue with it, but, complain that nothing new is being brought to the table, but when something new is brought, it is handled so poorly we can't help but just stick with what we know and love.

So I am asking you as zombie horror fans what changes would you like to see... and I will let you know first hand that I am definitely interested in reading your thoughts and opinions and if some good stuff is brought to the table and it can make a great movie, I will write a treatment and give everyone credit for their ideas used.... Maybe calling it THE HPOTD ZOMBIE PROJECT (Of course it will have a more... "of the Dead" style title, but maybe this is an area we can all brain storm and see what comes of it.

What do you guys think?
    I like the genre where it is at, really I do not think much needs to "change". I can more easily say what I do not like.

1) Self aware, learning zombies. 'Damn I am dead I should sit in a freezer or I will rot!" "Hey you see that chick her butt is looking good, and practically no signs of decay!"
    2) Running/Shrieking zombies. Raptor zombies for the loss.
    3) Any kind of "super zombie" or "boss zombie" turns me right off. "Good thing these zombies are slow moving, we will just hole up in this farm house until this all blo... HOLY CRAP THAT ZOMBIE IS FLYING AND HAS LASERS"

I would rather see a refinement of the genre, where we get back to basics and focus more on what matters. The human condition, in a world over run by the living dead. I would also like to see areas explored in depth that have only been hinted at before, rate of decay, what enables them to loco mote, what fuels them. Not knowing these things are fine, but if we are going to add anything or change anything explaining these items would be preferable to me than them evolving.

Honestly I think a back to basics down and dirty start of the crisis tale where people learn as they go and fortify up or fight on the run is what I would most like to see.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Honestly I think a back to basics down and dirty start of the crisis tale where people learn as they go and fortify up or fight on the run is what I would most like to see.
    I hear AMC's got a new show that covers that sort of scenario.
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Dec-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    i've been figured out. damn.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I like the genre where it is at, really I do not think much needs to "change". I can more easily say what I do not like.

Agreed.
    Actually I would like to see a TRUE western playing with the classic GAR zombie rules.
    That or one set in medieval times, you know, a zombie plague hitting a fortified city.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Agreed.
    Actually I would like to see a TRUE western playing with the classic GAR zombie rules.
    That or one set in medieval times, you know, a zombie plague hitting a fortified city.
    I know "300" with zombies! seriously though, the "Zombie Survival Guide: Reported Attacks" has some of this type of scenario and very well imagined.

United States
    I don't like running zombies, smart zombies, or supernatural-based zombies either; but it's folks experimenting with the genre that moves it forward.

I think placing zombies in different eras and locales than we've seen is one way to keep it fresh, just as throwing zombies into classic litrature or existing franchises has been pretty successful. But, regardless, folks shoudn't be afraid to try new things with the zombie.

Think about, if in 1968, monster movie fans saw Night of the Living Dead and said "Those aren't zombies - there's no mention at all of Voodoo. And don't get me started on the cannibalism. Zombies don't eat people! Why is this Romero character messing with something that walready orks so well?" We wouldn't have the genre we love so much today.

Not taking chances with the genre only lets it get stale.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by mpokera View Post
    I know "300" with zombies! seriously though, the "Zombie Survival Guide: Reported Attacks" has some of this type of scenario and very well imagined.
    Sparta didn't exist in medieval times.
    Placing the Zombie in other genres could be quite cool though. Just picture a Godard like french talkie, Pierrot le Fou-style with shamblers moaning on and on while being filmed in different colored filters...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Just picture a Godard like french talkie, Pierrot le Fou-style with shamblers moaning on and on while being filmed in different colored filters...
    Try Les Revenants, (English language title: They Came Back).

No cannibalism or gore, but a really thinky approach to the genre.

Those aren't real problems, Sam.