Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zombieland TV series

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I really enjoyed it. Goofy as hell, as it should be. Need to see more, but i think it could work as an ongoing series.
    Opening scene was great.
    Yeah, I thought it was totally tits, too.
    I don't mind the original people not being in it one bit.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was totally tits, too.
    I don't mind the original people not being in it one bit.
    Aye. I thought the lead playing Tallahassee was very convincing. All the cursing was a nice surprise as well.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Dead

United States
    So why is the video now been removed due to copyright issues by Amazon?

- - - Updated - - -

Amazons flash player is so problematic I didn't even bother trying to finish watching after it repeatedly stopped, lost sound, hung.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've spotted it on YouTube, so I'll give it a looksee from there (there's no point in me trying to stream it on my connection) and report back with my findings...

Administrator

England
    Thought it was OK... Would need to improve a little bit to keep my attention.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Alright, finally got around to giving it a bash ... some thoughts:

1) The opening scene was really funny - I enjoyed the 'first world problems' in an office setting as un-noticed carnage escalates outside.
    2) Yes, they should have just done four different characters within the same world. I don't understand the need to keep the same characters from the movie.
    3) Some of the 'emotional stuff' needs decided work ... the dialogue, the acting ... it lacks importance, if that makes sense? It feels trivial, a bit generic ... it needs work.
    4) The idea of them being cursed when finding other survivors I actually quite enjoyed.
    5) Tallahasse needs better dialogue. Some of it is just the sort of thing he'd say or do, but other parts in his dialogue felt under-written and off-the-shelf. This guy has more of a flair to what he says at all times.

So yeah, it's the 'fun-pocalypse' angle, which can work. I'd not want to see a bunch of immitators though - there's enough poorly written zomedies out there - and, I kinda feel that, if "they're" not going to take the genre seriously and treat it with respect (particularly when trying to find ways to freshen up the approach - and failing), then I'd rather "they" leave the genre alone entirely and leave it to the dedicated sorts of folks - it's clear-as-day that the folks working on TWD have a great love and respect for the genre - a love and respect that I don't see applied to many other zombie-related productions, where it can feel more like people exploiting the genre and treating it like a tricked-out whore for a quick buck, rather than seeking to do something worthwhile to elevate the genre.

Went off on a tangent there ... so yeah ... the 'fun-pocalypse' thing can work, and it worked in Zombieland, but Zombieland has always had an asterisk next to it for me, a proviso of sorts, that it's just a bit of fun. It's enjoyable for this - singular - to have this sort of fun and irreverence with zombies employed, but this isn't how it should be done generally.

And yes, Shaun of the Dead is the "zomedy" out-there. Every single one since has been riding it's coat-tails, and 99.9% of the time falling right-the-hell-off immediately. Zombieland was a rare exception ... even if it didn't reach the dizzying heights of Wright & Pegg's love letter to the genre.

In summary - this Zombieland pilot needs work - the characterisation and emotional core is the weakest point here, which is unsurprising as that's the hardest thing to nail, but they got it so right in the movie ... I would have really preferred it if they had just taken four totally different people in this same world and gone from there, rather than trying to shoe-horn these new actors (and creative staff behind the scenes) into the custom-fit shoes of Harrelson et al. The new cast wasn't terrible, but the shadow loomed very large over them - they should have never been placed under that shadow in the first place.

Super Moderator

UK
    http://dailydead.com/amazon-passes-o...ieland-series/

Annnnnnd Amazon have passed on it - no additional episodes ordered due to response to the pilot.

Might it get picked up by another company? Who knows ... unlikely.

Can't say I'm disappointed, can't say I'm overjoyed ... insisting on keeping the characters from the movie, but using new actors was definitely a big mistake in my view. I think that might be the biggest reason that fan response was iffy, and therefore Amazon passed on the series.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    http://dailydead.com/amazon-passes-o...ieland-series/

Annnnnnd Amazon have passed on it - no additional episodes ordered due to response to the pilot.

Might it get picked up by another company? Who knows ... unlikely.

Can't say I'm disappointed, can't say I'm overjoyed ... insisting on keeping the characters from the movie, but using new actors was definitely a big mistake in my view. I think that might be the biggest reason that fan response was iffy, and therefore Amazon passed on the series.
    Yeah. Kind of indifferent to it myself if I'm totally honest. More is always good tends to be my overall approach though.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Bummer. I'm surprised it bombed.
    Tits, I said.