Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Non-Romero Zombie movie

Angola
    Eh, after reading World War-Z, the Romero movies, let alone any of the laughable attempts at living dead movies that came afterword don't really hold up to the one that was playing in my head whilst reading the aforementioned novel.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashka View Post
    Eh, after reading World War-Z, the Romero movies, let alone any of the laughable attempts at living dead movies that came afterword don't really hold up to the one that was playing in my head whilst reading the aforementioned novel.
    Are you saying that the movie playing in your head is BETTER than the Romero movies? Oh my God, this novel must have been imbued with some hallucinating drug!
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Why wouldn't 'Evil Dead' qualify? Ash had to survive through the night and was under siege by his dead girlfriend and then the thing in the forest that took over her body and others as well as other items.

Dawg
    evil dead does count
    i was just stating that i didnt like it as much as other zombie movies
    mainly cos they fly, talk, and theres only 3 of them

army of darkness was way too slap stick for me
    A.F.A.!!!!!!
    Artichoke Fondlers Anonymous !!!

Death Count of friends playing Zombie DND: 8

Eddy- Face accidently smashed with a hatchet by a fellow survivor, Invasion Day 4
    Jake- Shot in the back by the police as he robbed a Sports Authority, Invasion Day 1
    chris- bitten while defending home, shot by chester
    annie- wrists slashed by nader and eaten alive
    richard- torn to pieces after being pulled from atop his SUV by zombies, managed to shoot his gas tank in the process
    nader- killed by th explosion of richard's SUV
    carl- tortured to deah by nader (infighting got nasty)
    jake- shot by carl in the stomach

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman_Deluxe View Post
    Well "strictly" speaking ... because they are demons rather than zombies?

But as this thread, misleading question and all, is NOT "strictly" restricted to zombies ... i guess evil dead would count
    No, they are humans that were possessed by a demon or demonic force, but unlike Ash's girlfriend and a few others, they were in fact killed and brought back to life by that demonic force.

What is the definition of a zombie?

The term zombie refers to a dead person whose body has been revived. -Wikipedia

So, in that definition, those in 'Evil Dead' are in fact zombies.

As for comparing them to Romero's? We aren't, other movies as the question suggests. Two, there is never a true reason for Romero's ghouls to come to life. (It is suggested to be a Venus probe that returned to Earth of course.) But an undead person could have been brought back from anything to be referred to as a 'zombie'.

Be it: Virus, space spore, radiation, mutation, demonic presense, etc.

In that respect though, '28 Days Later' would definitely NOT be considered a zombie movie since the infected didn't actually die and return. They are crazed individuals like those in 'The Crazies'. Similar but with the one exception that they are NOT dead.

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

Angola
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    Are you saying that the movie playing in your head is BETTER than the Romero movies? Oh my God, this novel must have been imbued with some hallucinating drug!
    My imagination rules. What else to say?

Undisclosed
    As far is the EVIL DEAD saga is concerned:

Scott, Cheryl, Linda, Sherri, Ed (Professor Knowby's assistant in ED2) and Ash HIMSELF... they didn't die after the possession. Soul and consciousness aren't PLUCKED but squeezed inside the body - almost locked in - and the body is thus "filled" with a cloned portion of the Evil Dead.

Ash went possessed two times, and when he managed to repel the Evil Dead he just reverted to his "living" phase.

Basically, the Evil Dead needs to possess an human body to fullfill a double purpose: to "swallow the soul" (consuming it time by time) and to open a physical way to "our" world, interacting with it as well...
    Last edited by The Alive Man; 23-Nov-2006 at 07:59 PM.
    "I'm not one of those things, baby. I like to consider myself as a milestone. If you can, well, just see me, hear me, kiss me or even fu*k me... and you'll know what it means to be living."

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    No, they are humans that were possessed by a demon or demonic force, but unlike Ash's girlfriend and a few others, they were in fact killed and brought back to life by that demonic force.

What is the definition of a zombie?

The term zombie refers to a dead person whose body has been revived. -Wikipedia

So, in that definition, those in 'Evil Dead' are in fact zombies.

As for comparing them to Romero's? We aren't, other movies as the question suggests. Two, there is never a true reason for Romero's ghouls to come to life. (It is suggested to be a Venus probe that returned to Earth of course.) But an undead person could have been brought back from anything to be referred to as a 'zombie'.

In that respect though, '28 Days Later' would definitely NOT be considered a zombie movie since the infected didn't actually die and return. They are crazed individuals like those in 'The Crazies'. Similar but with the one exception that they are NOT dead.

Dawg

Lost in translation?

As this forum is a component part of a GAR tribute site, and i have stated this many times before, whenever i say the word "zombie", infact whenever 90% of people here say the word "zombie", i, and they are of course referring to GAR's own particular brand of "zombie flesheater" ... just feel's a bit weird to have to keep on pointing that out each time, thats all.

I know there are quite a lot of people here who don't really consider the differences between a "zombie" and GARs "zombie flesheater", but i do.

As for ye olde WIKI, don't believe EVERYTHING on there. If you really want to get technical, then the WIKI definition is actually wrong. The word zombie, from haitian folklore, does not actually involve anybody's death! The so called "zombie" is not dead, but as we know, still alive, but in a drug induced trance, so therefore can not actually be brought back to life!

Hence the dramatic differences between the real life traditional haitian voodoo zombie and GAR's cinematic flesheating ghoul version. But then that is WIKI for you

And about 28 DAYS LATER, thats exactly what i was saying when i said "misleading question and all"

Undisclosed
    I consider 28 days later a zombie movie only because it includes so many of the themes and atmospheres I love in traditional zombie films.

If you look at Romeros rules

- slow
    - dead
    - bitten = zombie
    - die = zombie
    - must destroy the brain to kill them
    - zombies may remember past life
    - zombies may be trained or even learn to some extent
    - zombies are dumb
    - only concern themselves with eating you
    - moan alot (actually did anyone ever notice they dont moan in Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead but they do in Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead? whats up with that?)

the 28 days later rules are
    - zombies run
    - they arent really dead, but infected with a rabies like disease
    - they scream alot
    - bitten= zombie
    - zombies can learn to some extent (an infected recognizes reflection as a reflection and not a real person, but they will burst through windows after people)
    - can starve to death and die in any other natural human way
    - only concern themselves with killing you, vomiting all over you, beating the living poo outta you

so you've taken the basic romero zombie and changed it to make a movie thats original and creative
    to me thats better than paying massive homage to Romero and stealing all his tricks to make another bad zombie movie

they just changed the zombies

the people and scenerio havent changed
    to me thats the best part
    people surviving the invasion for as long as they can, using make shift tools and methods, personalities clashing
    A.F.A.!!!!!!
    Artichoke Fondlers Anonymous !!!

Death Count of friends playing Zombie DND: 8

Eddy- Face accidently smashed with a hatchet by a fellow survivor, Invasion Day 4
    Jake- Shot in the back by the police as he robbed a Sports Authority, Invasion Day 1
    chris- bitten while defending home, shot by chester
    annie- wrists slashed by nader and eaten alive
    richard- torn to pieces after being pulled from atop his SUV by zombies, managed to shoot his gas tank in the process
    nader- killed by th explosion of richard's SUV
    carl- tortured to deah by nader (infighting got nasty)
    jake- shot by carl in the stomach

ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rawrOTD View Post
    I consider 28 days later a zombie movie only because it includes so many of the themes and atmospheres I love in traditional zombie films.
    I think most of us understand what you are saying.

But that STILL does not qualify it as a "zombie" movie. In order for a movie to qualify as a "zombie" movie, it needs to fulfill certain criteria, such as having at least one zombie!!!

Unfortunately, themes, atmospheres AND co-incidences aside, accidental or otherwise, there was not one single example of zombie in 28 DAYS LATER ... just a shed load of people who were actually alive, but infected with the "rage" virus.

A fresh twist on a pre-existing theme? Yes! A zombie movie? No!

The bottom line is this, THERE ARE NO ZOMBIES IN 28 DAYS LATER ... and there is NOTHING you or anyone else can do about it ... so why don't you just put it back in the sub-genre box marked "Horror, Post Apocalyptic" and enjoy it for what it is?

Undisclosed
    Deluxe,

What do you think about my explanation of the EVIL DEAD typology?

Undisclosed
    While the movies that have been mention are all good, I don't count 28 Days as a true zombie movie. Zombie-like maybe.

anyway, my favorite zombie movie tends to change now and then but currently my favorite is Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

you can read my review by clicking on my sig.

ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    While the movies that have been mention are all good, I don't count 28 Days as a true zombie movie. Zombie-like maybe.
    Hi mcrow, velcome to ze forums yah?

Quote Originally Posted by The Alive Man View Post
    Deluxe,

What do you think about my explanation of the EVIL DEAD typology?
    Hi again,

Not quite sure what you mean by your "EVIL DEAD typology" ... but if it is ANYTHING along the lines of "Yeah, the creatures in the Evil Dead CAN be considered as zombies, and as such The Evil Dead counts as a zombie movie" ... i can't say im rocking a hard one

I have always considered the creatures from The Evil Dead to be demons, and nothing else.

Quick Source:
    The taped message, dictated by a professor of archaeology, describes the contents of the Sumerian "Book of the Dead," filled with incantations used to bring otherworldly demons to life, giving them license to possess the living.
    Last edited by Deadman_Deluxe; 24-Nov-2006 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    Deluxe, re-read this post:

"As far is the EVIL DEAD saga is concerned:

Scott, Cheryl, Linda, Sherri, Ed (Professor Knowby's assistant in ED2) and Ash HIMSELF... they didn't die after the possession. Soul and consciousness aren't PLUCKED but squeezed inside the body - almost locked in - and the body is thus "filled" with a cloned portion of the Evil Dead.

Ash went possessed two times, and when he managed to repel the Evil Dead he just reverted to his "living" phase.

Basically, the Evil Dead needs to possess an human body to fullfill a double purpose: to "swallow the soul" (consuming it time by time) and to open a physical way to "our" world, interacting with it as well..."

By me...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Even though I tend to think of the Deadites as demons, I don't really care which.

What about the Cenobytes in Hellraiser? They're dead. Are they demons or zombies? :P

Well, in a way they could be considered a zombie because a zombie has no free will. Like the Cenobites.

But that would make Big Daddy a not-zombie! Uhm...

ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

What about the Cenobytes in Hellraiser? They're dead. Are they demons or zombies? :P

Well, in a way they could be considered a zombie because a zombie has no free will. Like the Cenobites.
    Well ... let me see now ... the movie is called HELLRAISER ... they creatures in the movie come from, or are raised, from hell ... so let me see ... ummmm ... i guess they are demons ... ummm ... from hell

Come on now. For real? Do you REALLY think that IN ANY WAY the cenobytes from hell raiser can actually be considered as "zombies" or more specifically as "zombie flesheaters"? Or are you just saying that to have a form of input?

That's just like saying Frankenstein and Dracula are the same because they both have two legs, only on a slightly lesser scale!
    Last edited by Deadman_Deluxe; 26-Nov-2006 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost