Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Confederate flag?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    What in the hell does my age have to do with anything?!
    You've just answered yourself!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Banned User

Undisclosed
    What in the hell does my age have to do with anything?! And I'll say it again. My f#cking heritage and pride! Not racism! Not everyone who owns a rebel flag believes in racism. Just forget it. I'm not going to argue this any further. Not worth my time. Later.
    I dont personally think that the Confederate flag stands for slavery or racism any more than stars and stripes do (which was the flag of default flying over most plantations before the war) but lets be realistic. The war wasnt fought over "states rights" and thats it. The entire thing sparked because you guys down south had free slave labor that we didnt have up north to the same degree. And as such slavery came into question, especially when you all wanted to deny your slaves all freedom and rights and yet still count them in your census' to determine political power. It was bully on your parts. If you had just gone with the flow and gotten rid of the slavery then the war wouldnt have happend, but you guys went to the death over it. If you THINK most people dont think that when they see your Confederate flag flying and think they will just be like oh its all about his heritage and growing peanuts and cotton, then youre nuts. They started the war, made a new country then put that flag up to represent it. Then you got WTFPWNED by the north, deal with it.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    I dont personally think that the Confederate flag stands for slavery or racism any more than stars and stripes do (which was the flag of default flying over most plantations before the war) but lets be realistic. The war wasnt fought over "states rights" and thats it. The entire thing sparked because you guys down south had free slave labor that we didnt have up north to the same degree. And as such slavery came into question, especially when you all wanted to deny your slaves all freedom and rights and yet still count them in your census' to determine political power. It was bully on your parts. If you had just gone with the flow and gotten rid of the slavery then the war wouldnt have happend, but you guys went to the death over it. If you THINK most people dont think that when they see your Confederate flag flying and think they will just be like oh its all about his heritage and growing peanuts and cotton, then youre nuts. They started the war, made a new country then put that flag up to represent it. Then you got WTFPWNED by the north, deal with it.
    Khardis' post perfectly explains my "How old are you" statement.

Read this post, it is as if he is directly talking to people from the South who were personally involved in the Civil War.

I don't know about you guys, but I didn't own any slaves. I wasn't getting free slave labor, I wasn't blah, blah, blah,....

That is what I meant by "how old are you".

NO ONE on this message board is old enough to hold the confed flag as a symbol of heritage. You weren't involved, therefore it IS NOT your heritage.

How can someone who wasn't born, had nothing to do with, knows no one who was involved, and only knows about the even through your history book, make a statement that the flag stands for YOUR pride and heritage.

What exactly did they do, in the name of that flag, that you are so PROUD of????

PLEASE ANSWER THAT ONE!!!!!!!!

Why are you PROUD of that rag????
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    racism shmacism. Who cares about that flag? It's gone. Laugh about the rednecks that have them attached to the back of their insanely large trucks while they have no idea what it means, they just put it on there because their buddies do it and "it's cool".......move on.

Just a little side note.....I saw a trailer for this flick called "The Confederate States of America" that was about how the country would be had the south won the war. Man....it looks friggin hilarious. Do yourself a favor and search for the trailer.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    racism shmacism. Who cares about that flag? It's gone. Laugh about the rednecks that have them attached to the back of their insanely large trucks while they have no idea what it means, they just put it on there because their buddies do it and "it's cool".......move on.

Just a little side note.....I saw a trailer for this flick called "The Confederate States of America" that was about how the country would be had the south won the war. Man....it looks friggin hilarious. Do yourself a favor and search for the trailer.
    I work with a lot of people that are exactly like what you've described. I went around and asked a little poll.

Most all of the rednecks said Pride and Heritage.

Everyone else said Hatred or Racism.

The MAJORITY of people who view that Confederate "rag" as a symbol of pride and heritage are going to be white, male, and their personalities are going to lean more toward the "reneck" stereotype.

At least where I live. And I think middle Tennessee qualifies pretty heavily as an area where "Confederate Pride and Heritage" is pretty popular.

I don't mean to be an ass, I know a lot of people are pretty serious about thier pride of the confed flag.

I just think thier beliefs are very uneducated and misguided!
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Undisclosed
    I can understand the sentiment in owning a confederate flag if you like a Civil war buff...
    But displaying it on your car or house?....or my personal favorite painted on your roof....?

Also if its like a Civil War Memorial I dont think theres anything wrong with displaying the confed flag...because it makes sense in that its a historical memorial and that flag was part of that portion of US history...

but....Personal Herititage and History? *rolls eyes*

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn View Post
    At least where I live. And I think middle Tennessee qualifies pretty heavily as an area where "Confederate Pride and Heritage" is pretty popular.
    I hear ya, man. Sadly, I've probably got it worse where I'm at(Georgia).

United States
    What in the hell does my age have to do with anything?! And I'll say it again. My f#cking heritage and pride! Not racism! Not everyone who owns a rebel flag believes in racism. Just forget it. I'm not going to argue this any further. Not worth my time. Later.

Don't worry about it Slickwilly. I'm originally from the South too and I understand that the flag means more to people down there than "hating niggers". The latte nazis on this board, and there are many, love to gang up on people whenever a politically correct subject comes up. It must make them feel good I guess. "Yes, I made a stand on something!" They believe in treating others with respect and allowing freedom of speech, and blah, blah, blah. However, if they don't like what you think they lob insults and try to make you feel inferior. How ironic that they would behave in such a manor, being that they are such tolerant folk.

United States
    Where I grew up it meant "I really, really like Lynrd Skynrd"
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Where I grew up it meant "I really, really like Lynrd Skynrd"
    Neil Young Owns Lynrd Skynrd....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Neil Young Owns Lynrd Skynrd....
    Bong!

They don't want Ol' Neil around anyhow
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    The allure of the Confederate flag, to me in a small way, is that rather than bowing to the orders of the northern states to abolish slavery and ruin the economy, they gave it the old college try. They seceded from the union and went to war over what they believed in.

In fact I think that's a good idea for today's crowd. There are so many anti-war/Bush/Republican/relgion/anything not liberal folks out there, you all should secede from the union and go to war with the rest of us over your "rights" for abortion, social programs, legal drugs, gay marriage, and all that. I personally find the Confederate battle flag about as racist and ignorant as your average liberal at a war protest; and about as offensive. The Confederate flag stood for slavery, an uprising against the legally elected government, and freedom for their point of view; the liberals of today stand for slavery (a society where the populace subsists at the teat of the government and cannot live on its own), an uprising against the legally elected government (threatening impeachment and vociferously attacking anything and everything our president does), and freedom for their point of view (basically an ideology that states everything right is wrong, and everything left is right).

So whereas some of you feel anger or whatever at the sight of a confederate flag, I feel pity for those who fly it, and a little admiration that they still will fly it in times like these. But I still feel the same for your average liberal who takes it so personally, just without the admiration.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn View Post
    Khardis' post perfectly explains my "How old are you" statement.

Read this post, it is as if he is directly talking to people from the South who were personally involved in the Civil War.

I don't know about you guys, but I didn't own any slaves. I wasn't getting free slave labor, I wasn't blah, blah, blah,....

That is what I meant by "how old are you".

NO ONE on this message board is old enough to hold the confed flag as a symbol of heritage. You weren't involved, therefore it IS NOT your heritage.

How can someone who wasn't born, had nothing to do with, knows no one who was involved, and only knows about the even through your history book, make a statement that the flag stands for YOUR pride and heritage.

What exactly did they do, in the name of that flag, that you are so PROUD of????

PLEASE ANSWER THAT ONE!!!!!!!!

Why are you PROUD of that rag????
    Uhh, heritage by definition is

her·it·age /ˈhɛrɪtɪdʒ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[her-i-tij] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. something that comes or belongs to one by reason of birth; an inherited lot or portion: a heritage of poverty and suffering; a national heritage of honor, pride, and courage.
    2. something reserved for one: the heritage of the righteous.
    3. Law.
    a. something that has been or may be inherited by legal descent or succession.
    b. any property, esp. land, that devolves by right of inheritance.
    That means that my heritage can be that culture of Irish and Italian peasants living in slums of NY at the turn of the century. Thats the family line I have been born into and thus what I have inhereted. Erego what you said is obviously wrong.

And I am not one for throwing a race card around or whining about discrimination for minorities, but tell the black kids who are legitimately hindered by a heritage of a racially concience society, and tell them that thier ancestors being slaves and living through Jim Crow era laws DONT effect them becase they werent born in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post
    The allure of the Confederate flag, to me in a small way, is that rather than bowing to the orders of the northern states to abolish slavery and ruin the economy, they gave it the old college try. They seceded from the union and went to war over what they believed in.

In fact I think that's a good idea for today's crowd. There are so many anti-war/Bush/Republican/relgion/anything not liberal folks out there, you all should secede from the union and go to war with the rest of us over your "rights" for abortion, social programs, legal drugs, gay marriage, and all that. I personally find the Confederate battle flag about as racist and ignorant as your average liberal at a war protest; and about as offensive. The Confederate flag stood for slavery, an uprising against the legally elected government, and freedom for their point of view; the liberals of today stand for slavery (a society where the populace subsists at the teat of the government and cannot live on its own), an uprising against the legally elected government (threatening impeachment and vociferously attacking anything and everything our president does), and freedom for their point of view (basically an ideology that states everything right is wrong, and everything left is right).

So whereas some of you feel anger or whatever at the sight of a confederate flag, I feel pity for those who fly it, and a little admiration that they still will fly it in times like these. But I still feel the same for your average liberal who takes it so personally, just without the admiration.
    HAHAHA YES! And Arcades shows us how to kick ass again!
    Last edited by Khardis; 05-Dec-2006 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    And I am not one for throwing a race card around or whining about discrimination for minorities, but tell the black kids who are legitimately hindered by a heritage of a racially concience society, and tell them that thier ancestors being slaves and living through Jim Crow era laws DONT effect them becase they werent born in it.
    It doesn't affect them. Don't be stupid. African Americans are given better treatment today that most white people. You come across a Nation Whitey College Fund lately? Had anyone offer to hire you simply because they didn't have enough whites to meet their govt. quota?

They milk that crap for the guilt payoff. I hate racism, but on the flipside; Crying foul for something that happened to your ancestors and demanding retribution for it is way out of line. I'm half Irish...should I go about fighting with every English bloke on the board, just in case their ancestors oppressed mine religiously? I'm half German...should I walk around with a sign that says I apologize to any and all Jews that one of my ancestors may have thrown into a death camp?

Ridiculous. It's so far in the past at this point, it's not even worth mentioning outside of a History class.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Don't worry about it Slickwilly. I'm originally from the South too and I understand that the flag means more to people down there than "hating niggers". The latte nazis on this board, and there are many, love to gang up on people whenever a politically correct subject comes up. It must make them feel good I guess. "Yes, I made a stand on something!" They believe in treating others with respect and allowing freedom of speech, and blah, blah, blah. However, if they don't like what you think they lob insults and try to make you feel inferior. How ironic that they would behave in such a manor, being that they are such tolerant folk.
    Point out ONE insult I have thrown!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post

That is some funny stuff right there!!

Thanks for the early morn laugh Arcades!!

Last edited by dmbfanintn; 05-Dec-2006 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi