Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sit down!!!! A (small) screen shot from Duke Nukem Forever...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Duke Nukem 3D was really fun. Well, at least the first episode was. But the second space episode was a travesty, really. It had nothing that made the first episode so fun (like the aforementioned Movie theather). The third episode had some hits and misses. But definetly fun the first time around.

But the first episode is the best and the most classic. The rest? Meh. Same hit and miss was repeated in the Atomic Pack episode.

Doom I like because of the overly simple gameplay. It's fun, actionpacked and sometimes downright spooky. Plus the metaphysical blend of hell and reality is appealing to me. Level design is at it's best in Doom, definetly.

Shadow Warrior was fun. It was very fun, infact. And the music was great. But it was released at the end of the "Shareware" period so it's episode system was rather odd. There were 20-ish maps. 4 in the first "free" episode and the rest bundled together in the second. Again, they seem to have put most work into the first episode so that people would buy the second. But it was a very dark and moody game at times, whereas at other times it was bright and sunny. The bunnies hopping around in level 3 were cute... And they would even mate if you stood watching them for a long enough time.

Blood was a great game at the time, but it was more focused on atmosphere, not so much on gameplay. As a result, people tend to remember that it was a "fun" game, but it was really rather bland. I don't think I'll ever play it again, I'll just let it be "nostalgically" great forever in my mind. But it had some nice touches. The Friday the 13th hidden map being my favourite.

Anyone "remember" how great Quake 1 was? I fired it up yesterday and it's not that fun anymore.

England
    yeah quake is pretty bad now,i remember at the time it was seriously cutting edge as well!with its 9 inch nails soundtrack.I think a lot of those early 3D games are unplayable now because we are seriously spoiled by the eye candy of modern games,they just look sparse & blocky,and the movement is clunky,whereas once they seemed lightening fast & detailed!even the first call of duty is like that now,its still a good game,but just 3 years after release its aged quite a lot!

@MZ - yeah that shining level was class on duke 3D,it was a cross between the overlook hotel & the house from psycho,with homeages to loads of other horror films thrown in!there was "redrum" scrawled on some of the walls and zombified versions of the enemies from the other chapters,il have to fire it up tomorrow & remind myself of it!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Duke Nukem was a milestone in FPS gaming history.
    Big words for such a small game. There were a BILLION superior FPS games out there around the time of Duke Nukem 3D (which was okay, not groundbreaking in the slightest). The developers who made the game admit themselves they were inspired by Doom and you gotta admit, the game looks spookily similar. I'm not saying it's a ripoff or anything but it ain't 'gaming gold' like some people are claiming. I hate to say it but Duke Nukem Forever will fall flat on it's ass, there are simply not enough kids who remember the original or care for that matter. It's had it's day, I'm afraid. In my opinion, it joins the scrap heap with "Taurok - Dinosaur Hunter" and that's that. *ducks for cover*

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Big words for such a small game. There were a BILLION superior FPS games out there around the time of Duke Nukem 3D (which was okay, not groundbreaking in the slightest). The developers who made the game admit themselves they were inspired by Doom and you gotta admit, the game looks spookily similar. I'm not saying it's a ripoff or anything but it ain't 'gaming gold' like some people are claiming. I hate to say it but Duke Nukem Forever will fall flat on it's ass, there are simply not enough kids who remember the original or care for that matter. It's had it's day, I'm afraid. In my opinion, it joins the scrap heap with "Taurok - Dinosaur Hunter" and that's that. *ducks for cover*
    aah but if duke forever is rated the same as the original (18),the kids shouldnt be playing it anyway

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    aah but if duke forever is rated the same as the original (18),the kids shouldnt be playing it anyway
    Erm, if all 18 rated games weren't sold to kids then no 18 rated game would ever be a success. Just look at GTA: San Andreas, a recent poll said something like 85% of kids under the age of 12 who owned a console, owned that game. That's some serious numbers right there.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ironically, 18 rated games (or "M" rated for the Yanks) only make up between 1 and 2 percent of the over all gaming market, and with the average age of a gamer being in the upper end of the 20's, then violent games have nothing to worry about sales wise.

Such games should only be kept away from kids if they're too moronic to understand the simple notion of the difference between reality and fiction. I played Duke Nukem 3D when I was just a bit taller than knee-high to a grasshopper ... or more realistically, a really, really tall bloke.

I was taken aback when a mate of mine said his 9 year old brother played San Andreas and really enjoyed it, but apparently the kid is still working properly and hasn't broken yet, so I guess it's alright, lol.

I say anywhere up from 13 is fine for playing such games (unless they're an aforementioned moron).

And yes, I hope DNF is rated 18, all the best games are anyway! ... I know that's not true, but games rated 18 are quite likely to be really fun.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I have to agree that DN3D was by far no milestone. It was more or less a popular game at it's time. That's all. Kinda like Serious Sam or Max Payne. Very popular at their times. But no milestones.

Doom however, was a milestone. As was Wolfenstein 3D. But there's a game that's DEFINETLY not fun to play nowadays

Out of the Build3D games (Duke Nukem engine) I enjoyed Shadow Warrior the most I think. It was like a really cheesy action movie.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Another well thought out and informed point... Congrats...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Max Payne was friggin' awesome.

Superb graphics when it came out and a real story throughout, proper storytelling and drama and emotion. Max Payne 2 furthered both of these with jaw-dropping visuals and once again the maker's will have a milestone on their hands with Alan Wake. A milestone sticks out, it points to great achievement and a quality product - that's exactly what the Max Payne games are and what Alan Wake will be too.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I hope DNF is rated 18.
    Oh it will be, the profanity and gore is the only thing that might save it.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I have to agree that DN3D was by far no milestone.
    Someone who tells it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Another well thought out and informed point... Congrats...
    Why, thank you.
    Last edited by capncnut; 02-Feb-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That's it... And of course the theme tune on HPotD came from the Blood website
    secrets of hpotd revealed!!!

blood was wicked, double flare guns, setting fire to lovecraftian cultists "it burns it burns! ayaayaahhhhh" great stuff.

plus the main dude (caleb?) had a seriously cool voice.

anyone remember blake stone : aliens of gold?

also on a geeky note...notice the Nine inch nails logo on the nailgun ammo boxes in quake? kewl.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    notice the Nine inch nails logo on the nailgun ammo boxes in quake? kewl.
    All we needed was the obligatory J.G. Thirlwell remix of "March Of The Pigs" in-game and we'd have been off matey!

United Kingdom
    I'm 15 and I love playing gorey and profane games, as do a lot of my friends, it might not be megaly huge but if they pull it off right it will definitely appeal to a lot of people, both hardcore gaming fans and people looking for a laugh and a bit of fun.

And Doom was a milestone in gaming, no doubt, but DN3D will always be a milestone in my personal gaming experience.
    Last edited by Craig; 02-Feb-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    And Doom was a milestone in gaming, no doubt, but DN3D will always be a milestone in my personal gaming experience.
    Nicely put! I think that goes for a lot of people hence the interest in Duke Nukem Forever
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn straight. DN3D was one of those key moments in my gaming life, and my teenage years as a matter of fact.

I remember hearing one of my mate's wasn't allowed to play it and his Dad deleted it from their home PC because he came in whilst he was going flat out "shake it baby" (their family were Jovo's), and I was just like "I've gotta have this game" and got it for my next birthday, haw-haw!

I think I might have to re-install it and give it a rizzle-dizzle-razzle-dazzle-through ... mah bitches.