Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BIG Sony news!!!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    nopics just a 2 paragraph thing, course i allways delete my history when ive been on ebay or something, which is was so ive lost it
    Never mind but it wouldn't surprise me as I've just heard some amazing news regarding Shenmue.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Never mind but it wouldn't surprise me as I've just heard some amazing news regarding Shenmue.

AND!?! aren't you gonna share with the rest of the class?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    AND!?! aren't you gonna share with the rest of the class?
    I think he meant hellsing telling him that Shenmue is coming to 360.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If that's the case then i'm gonna scoop that up when it comes out. If only on the strength of caps glowing endorsement for the series. I haven't had the pleasure of playing them , is the game that good?

capncnut
    If that's the case then i'm gonna scoop that up when it comes out. If only on the strength of caps glowing endorsement for the series. I haven't had the pleasure of playing them , is the game that good?
    Uh-oh Darth, you've opened a big phat can of worms now dude. I could stand here in front of you and cry (in grown man tones, of course ) about how abso-f**king-lutely amazing the Shenmue series is.

Shenmue (シェンム) is an adventure game for the Sega Dreamcast, produced and directed by Yu Suzuki of Sega-AM2. Suzuki coined a new genre title, "FREE" (Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment), for the game, based on its unparalleled interactivity and freedom, as well as the innovative real-time and weather systems. However, Shenmue most resembles an adventure game in terms of gameplay focus. Shenmue covers the first chapter of an epic story which continues into Shenmue II. Shenmue is the most expensive video game ever produced, costing an estimated US $70,000,000.
    Just think of a third person adventure game (maybe along the lines of Silent Hill but without the horror and more open-ended) and combine it with the Virtua Fighter engine for when you get involved in fights. In the first game, you have a whole Japanese town to explore and you have to find out who murdered your father, who was a respected martial artist that ran a successful little dojo. Yes, if you are into martial arts movies, this could well be the ultimate adventure game for you.

Instead of following the story, you can just explore the town which has capsule toy machines on every street corner (Sonic toys, Virtua Fighter toys, etc), you have a walkman on you at all times and you can buy new cassette tapes every week as they are released, even the batteries run out and you have to replace them. There is also an arcade, which boasts Space Harrier, Hang On, Sega Darts and slot machines among many others. Hell, if you don't want to waste your money on them, you can even win them on disc at store raffles to play on your Sega Saturn at home, how cool is that?

However, if you are more the type who is serious and less bothered about materialistic things, you can spend your money on martial arts moves to practice in the dojo or one of the many parks in the game. There are thousands of characters to interact with in this virtual world and they all have their own lives and homes (if you hang around a store 'till 11pm, you will see the owner lock up shop and go home).

You even have to work for a living as a forklift driver and every morning you race the other workmates in a tricky little forklift race which yields it's own prizes.

The second game went even further by adding more arcade games, gambling dens and three towns (each one is about five times bigger than the original Yokosuka from the first game). Seriously man, the series is well up there with the best but the unfortunate thing is that both games bombed. They were so expensive to make that even if they were technical successes, Sega would've still had trouble breaking even. Darth, you have to check them out and they are well worth re-purchasing a Dreamcast for. Failing that, a graphically updated and re-jigged version of Shenmue II was released on the original Xbox and actually features a bonus movie disc of Shenmue I professionally made from the Dreamcast game. Anyways, here's a vid (or three ) to show you how amazing Shenmue is.

Intro

The death of Iwao Hazuki

Shenmue trailer

Anyways, back to the boring Agency...
    Last edited by capncnut; 14-Jun-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    the only trouble with having the 360 shenmue is now ive gotta start it all over again on my 360

capncnut
    the only trouble with having the 360 shenmue is now ive gotta start it all over again on my 360
    Beware, Xbox Shenmue II isn't quite compatible with the 360. The camera function is disabled and some music and text is missing in places.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    works all fine on mine, though stubbs the zombie works for everyone but me.

its like a thign were all but your very favourite one will work for you veeryone elses 360s gets the one you want

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Those vids do looks amazing cap. The way you describe the gameplay makes it sound better than anything i've ever played. Oh well , I always wanted a dreamcast.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    its only 20 quid man!, you owe to yourself adn your family to buy one!

(yo cap do you think theyll ever figure out wer eplants from sega? )

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Where could i get one? I don't have a paypal account. Gamespot was selling them up until acouple of months ago. i regret not getting one. I just never had a reason to. This looks like a good one though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    you know paypal accounts dont actually cost anything right?
    you can get em over here in gamestations for 20 quid, on ebay with a load of games for about 30 bucks, and theres some real good games on the dreamcast elmme tell ya, the obscurer the better.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That ebay deal sounds about right. My girlfriend has paypal, i'll get her to do it for me. It's time for me to find out why people are so fanatical about their dreamcasts. Just hope all those old games don't get me dizzy.

capncnut
    Just hope all those old games don't get me dizzy.
    No dizziness with this one bro. The controls are a bit sluggish but it's a minor gripe when faced with the sheer awesomeness of what the game delivers. The other mindblowing aspect about Shenmue on the Dreamcast is that the graphics stand up today and still look current-gen for a game made a good 7 years ago. And it's on CD, yes CD!!!

(yo cap do you think theyll ever figure out wer eplants from sega? )
    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's what i just don't get. You can say that about the graphics for alot of dreamcast games. I keep asking this question and no one seems to be able to answer it : Why did the dreamcast fail? There seems to be no downside.